Might & Magic: Heroes VI - Haven - Fair is Foul and Foul is

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Mar 2012, 16:56

Maybe something to do with the spam, which is deleted from the main page here? Another reason to get the redesign moving. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Isaacfirestorm
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Isaacfirestorm » 05 Apr 2012, 15:06

If you follow Maltz instructions, and get the neutral sentries a little past the town on the west, you can take Town A first week. If you don't get the gold mine, ore pit, and sawmill, you won't be able to convert it before the first week is up, so make sure to get these.

xiilus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xiilus » 23 Jun 2013, 05:27

It seems flagging the mines and dwelling are necessary to make Town A weak. From reading Maltz's advice from the beginning of the previous mission, he mentioned that scripted heroes can be devastating if you rush to areas before the developers want you there.

I don't read walkthroughs until after I've beaten a mission, so I didn't know what to expect on my first attempt. When I saw that I only had a fort, my plan was to 1) rush to take a town immediately and 2) send a secondary hero back to flag the mines/dwelling. But then I saw an unbeatable army at Town A, so I looked to see if there was an easier town elsewhere. I saw there was a town to the west, but it was blocked off, as was the underground passage. I made a valiant attempt to fight the hero. They weren't kidding with the "Deadly" label.

On second attempt, I cleared the whole starting area. Then I went south, and the town was easy. Seems you can't truly rush, but mid to late week 1 is best.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 16 Aug 2013, 00:16

if you are taking huge losses in the battle for town A, try being a bit more patient. If you have flagged the mines, and gotten the neutral stacks to join you (it's worth paying for the griffin stack - make sure you are wearing your "diplomacy" hat), you should arrive at the town around day 5.

I don't think the number of creatures you have to fight is affected by whether or not you take the mines, or what day you arrive, so long as you arrive before the end of the week. (day 5 had same number of creatures as listed by doguso on day 2).

play it defensively, sit back and wait for opportunities to attack where you take the least damage. Protect as many troops as you can with your sentinels.

all the diff weapons can work here, but since it's undead, any of them OTHER than arachne would be a better choice. Pirate sword is good for morale, Whistlebone for a good strike on the vamps and ghouls on turn 2. Based on the stats and abilities, I chose Whistlebone. gives you a permanent slow effect, defense against magic (for liches), good might power boost (5), and a strong attack. I only need the strong attack once, when the ghouls and vamps cluster on turn 2. otherwise was casting heroism, anathema, or regeneration the whole battle. Once you thin out his front ranks a bit, move your horse and griffs to engage the ranged units. Once all the non ranged are down, move your sentinels forward to the magic node. once you have removed the liches, whittle the skells down to a small number (like less than 10), and then cluster your griff, sentinels, and horse around the magic node. then just defend while you regen your mana and keep on casting heroism, anathema, and regeneration. cast guardian on your sentinels whenever possible, and you should recover most of your losses, as well as gaining a ton of blood rep points. I ended up only losing the stack of sisters I had (necro AI hates those things), 4 griffs, and 4 marksman. probably could have gained even more back, but ran out of patience at around turn 35.

If you chose the "free first hero", or just have 5k extra, hire a hero BEFORE you convert the town, give them the proper skills, and then you save 20% on converting the town. Since you need an extra hero anyway, might as well save some cash right off.

Edited on Thu, Aug 15 2013, 20:22 by Sir_Toejam

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 16 Aug 2013, 00:38

updates on equipment and creatures as of 2.1.1

griffin dive works perfectly.

arachne's life drain works exactly like the mass life drain spell, only at a fixed 15%. Meaning that whatever actual damage a stack does, it recovers 15% of that as health. doesn't sound like a lot, but it does help prevent losses, and of course scales up with bigger stacks.

and, again, even on hard, you CAN beat the hero at town A, so long as you make sure to collect all of the friendly stacks before you start the fight. It's a hard fight, and it's supposed to be, but if you are patient, you will take minimal losses.

Town K is no longer the uber town. It had less creatures than town H did. Also, taking town K allows you to build the upgrade for the glories. Not that you need it at that point, but might as well. ooh shiny.

Edited on Fri, Aug 16 2013, 11:42 by Sir_Toejam

Return to “Articles”