Worlds of M&M 1

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby Ryder » 07 Jul 2011, 21:59

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/778

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby Ryder » 07 Jul 2011, 21:59

Where the hell is CRON?!?!?!

I'm going to give you a D- and detention for writing

but it is already time for us to enter the Gates to Another World ...

And then actually not going there.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 07 Jul 2011, 22:16

We couldn't find a half-decent scan of the CRON map. But a D- is not too bad :P
I must say that Marzhin is humbling me with the credit here. He is the one who wrote this article - all I contributed was a little proofreading and some screenshots.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 07 Jul 2011, 22:47

>>>There, Queen Kalindra's advisor Ellinger takes us to the Sixth Mirror, the Portal that will bring us to our next destination ...
Ekhm... wasn't the Sixth Mirror destroy in fight with Lord Xeen?

And only lack of good quality map was the reason to not mention about CRON? 8|

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 07 Jul 2011, 22:53

Shattered to bits, yes ;)
I think the presumption is that it was repaired/replicated after the Unification Ceremony.

CRON is mentioned in a later chapter. If you have a decent scan yourself, I'll see if we can do something :)

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 08 Jul 2011, 01:27

These two are alright: 1) http://www.neeva.org/rapier/images/CRON.jpg 2) http://www.angelfire.com/la/rapier/CRON.html I see what you mean though, there's a lot of gamma color on both of them so they seem bright and weird.

Btw a 3D version of the town of Fountainhead would be pretty sweet.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby Marzhin » 08 Jul 2011, 07:38

The main reason I omitted Cron is because to be honest there were not so many interesting things to say about it, and it was making the article too long (while Kalah doesn't mention it anywhere, this article was actually written for the official site, so targeted at people probably unfamiliar with the previous worlds of Might & Magic). The lack of a good map didn't help obviously.

Also see the bright side of life for a change: there's an article aknowledging the existence of previous worlds like Varn, Terra and Xeen on an Ubisoft website :p

@MMXAlamar: unfortunately your first link seems dead and the second one in not usable (poor quality and too saturated). Thanks for trying to help though :)
Edited on Fri, Jul 08 2011, 03:38 by Marzhin
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby Ryder » 08 Jul 2011, 07:52

Not so many interesting things?!?! That's blasphemy!!! You'd better hope Sir Charles doesnt appear.

I'm going on a boat ride to Murrays Resort Isle, we can talk about this on the way. :p

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby Avonu » 08 Jul 2011, 09:28

Marzhin wrote:>>>The main reason I omitted Cron is because to be honest there were not so many interesting things to say about it, and it was making the article too long
Not so many interesting things? Like sex changes, "no men allowed", Lord Haart, Lord Slayer, first Megadragon, first appereance of Elementals and Corak and many, many other things.
You could post few sentence about this vechicle and how it was related to VARN4 and Terra.
Corlagon wrote:Shattered to bits, yes ;)
I think the presumption is that it was repaired/replicated after the Unification
Sixth Mirror was unique because it was portable portal ;) and after it was broken, I don't think even Dragon Pharaoh with his Super Glue could repair this technology miracle.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 08 Jul 2011, 10:05

Then perhaps you underestimate the Dragon Pharaoh. :devious:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 08 Jul 2011, 13:52

Nah, I think you just overestimate him.
After all, he was helpless against hordes attacking his pyramid, not to mention about Sheltem plot.

Anyway, I am waiting for next chapter with description of three main continents and who knows, maybe with something else?

@Marzhin
Both Alamar's links works fine. Probably you encounter some server maintenance.
And I don't think there is better quality picture of map of CRON available. GoG maps have even worse quality.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 08 Jul 2011, 14:23

Pharaoh was helpless just because Sheltem had the Cube of Power. Normally, he is as powerful as Corak, Sheltem, Melian and other Guardians (and Escaton, who isn't a Guardian, but similar).

The ommission of CRON sucks very bad. "Not many interesting things." How the hell can you say that?! MM II was arguably the largest game in the entire franchise, with many locations and other interesting stuff. Not to mention that CRON itself (as the whole spaceship) was what brought four Terra's VARNs (the eponymous Isles of Terra) to the planet, and was an important seedship in the Grand Experiment of the Ancients. Skipping CRON was a very unvise decision. Aside from that, the article is decent. Nothing exceptionally good about it, but a nice recap overall.

In the next part, please, don't call the Kreegan "chaotic" again :) This would contradict the whole concept of their race with hivemind and advanced technology.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 08 Jul 2011, 14:32

It is rumoured Ironfist's father stole the crown by murdering his own brother, and that the true heir escaped to distant lands with a retinue of loyal knights.
So, in the "tour guide style" article it is assumed that MM I's Lord Ironfist is Ragnar? Could be, however, it is more likely that MM I takes place in another age and that was other Ironfist. It could also take place later (if we assume that MM III ende shortly before the UA arrived on Enroth prior to MM VII) and Lord Kilburn is a relative of Morglin's follower.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Jul 2011, 20:07

Interesting, where did you get the whole story about Alamar's daughter?

Also, hah, Quivering Forest on XEEN. They liked their references to the past games even before HoMM1.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby Marzhin » 08 Jul 2011, 20:27

The anecdote about Alamar's daughter actually comes from the description of one of the maps of Legends of Might & Magic.

@XEL II: I'm just making a reference to a "rumoured" connection between both Ironfists, because it's one of the most popular theories of M&M lore-addicts. But I don't pretend to claim it is a "fact" ;)

Now these articles have no pretension, it was just a nice opportunity to put some of the ancient worlds under the spotlight. I think you and Avonu are taking this way too seriously :)

Lastly, if we assume the Kreegans are the Hordes of the Creators mentionned in M&M3 (and you know I do), then the game itself describe them as being "chaotic".
Might and Magic, baby !

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 08 Jul 2011, 20:36

Still, there is not a single piece of evidence that would tie the Kreegan's origins with the Creators. It's better to avoid much speculation.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Worlds of M&M 1

Unread postby Marzhin » 08 Jul 2011, 21:03

I'm just applying Occam's Razor here. MM3 claims the Creators are trying to disrupt the Ancient worlds with their "chaotic armies". MM6 claims the Kreegans are the old enemies of the Ancients. It is only logical to assume the Kreegans are part of the "chaotic armies" without bringing another unknown race into the picture. Also even without this hypothesis, considering the havoc the Kreegans wreck on the planet they invade, the adjective chaotic still apply to them I think. Chaotic is not the same thing as primitive :p

Anyway we could debate again and again in the end none of us knows what NWC had in mind and could prove anything ;)
Might and Magic, baby !

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Jul 2011, 21:21

Indeed, they look pretty chaotic to natives. They cause chaos, hence they are chaotic.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 08 Jul 2011, 21:32

Klavis Verge explicitly cites the Mandate of Heaven (the struggle against the Kreegans) as a battle against chaos, hence it is not exactly far-fetched to say that the Kreegans are considered agents of chaos:
The Oracle understands this better than anyone. For centuries she has been the link that carries the gods’ mandate. Find her, and she may help you stop the destruction of precious order, and repair the damage already done.
Fail, and learn to love chaos…
...and don't forget that little "setting the world on fire with a blade powered by Chaos" incident!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jul 2011, 21:54

XEL II wrote:>>In the next part, please, don't call the Kreegan "chaotic" again :) This would contradict the whole concept of their race with hivemind and advanced technology.<<
What's with everyone assuming advanced tech = order... almost all of our advancements have come from either conflict or chance... both of which are chaotic. And our "order" is, at best, an idea we try to achieve, and at worst just a delusion to keep the masses under control.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Articles”