Like Tears in Rain

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 19 Jul 2011, 23:29

14? With that beard?? :P

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Like Tears in Rain

Unread postby hellegennes » 19 Jul 2011, 23:32

Some people grow facial hair very early. I am quite sure barbarians do :p

Also, his avatar could have been from an updated one from the 15 years war.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Like Tears in Rain

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Jul 2011, 06:31

hellegennes wrote:>>>Morglin is very precise about the timing. He states in his first letter "30 days since I crossed through", and the letter is marked 23rd of Raven. Then the next one is 4th of Dragongly and he states "more than a month since my last missive". Then he refers to years.
And here you have diffence between Varn, Cron, Terra or Xeen and Enroth or Axoeth. Years on MM1-5 worlds were shorter then years on these two planets. I don't remeber now exacly how short in case of Varn but in case of Terra year had 99 days.
And Morglin Ironfist cleary use calendar from his home world - he landed on Enroth ca. 1100 AS (well ca. 1125 AS +/- few years to be precise) not in Common Year 632 (his last letter is from Common Year 642).
Consering that years in MM1-5 were 1/3 (maybe 1/2 to 2/3) lenght of years on Enroth and thet H1 fully campaign can take average maybe 3 years, he clearly spent less then these 10 yeras to conquer Enroth.
And in any case look at this topic and how long (or how fast) took players to conquer Enroth. ;)

hellegennes wrote:>>>Oh, and the fountain of youth does not make you younger, it just removes magical ageing. That's different.
It's only because of game mechanism. I think Enrothians could use it in "normal" way. ;)

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 20 Jul 2011, 10:56

About the number of days in MM 2-5 time system, it's more of the matter of game mechanics. The day/night system was not deeply developed, it didn't have month division, for instance. And 100 days in a year wouldn't be sensical, considering that you can create characters who are 18 years old and still look adult. The years (900 in CRON calendar, 500 in Terra's, [don't exactly remember what year] in XEEN's Clouds', 850/851 in Darkside's) are correct, they were part of the plotline, but the number of days must be something close to Enroth/Axeoth years.

BTW, even in VARN's Star Trek easter egg itself it is never assumed that VARN MCMIV's crew was that of Star Trek TOS. Their last names backwards are used for the crew members' key codes, not their names.

And Morglin's stoyline isn't just "reference for fun", like Corak in KB, Star Trek in MM6, etc. It's the basis of HoMM1 story. And all the clues point towards that him and Kilburn are actually from VARN's Ironfist and Kilburn dynasties. I don't see anything wrong with it, unless you desperately try to cut any links to MM in HoMM, of course :) About Kreegans, I already pointed the ways in which the physical appearances of their models is similar (even clothing in HoMM3 is of similar style to that of flying ones in MM6), they don't look identical, but that's only logical for different people in one race tonot look exactly the same. The storyline makes it clear that HoMM Kreegans are the same race from MM.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jul 2011, 18:35

XEL II wrote: And 100 days in a year wouldn't be sensical, considering that you can create characters who are 18 years old and still look adult.
Creating worlds = easy, genetically modifying humans = hard?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 22 Jul 2011, 18:48

ThunderTitan wrote:Creating worlds = easy, genetically modifying humans = hard?
Those characters aren't genetically modified, they are descendants of those created by the Ancients. I hope you don't disagree that having eighteen-years-old-but-really-six-years-old characters is convoluted and makes very little sense.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jul 2011, 19:01

XEL II wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Creating worlds = easy, genetically modifying humans = hard?
Those characters aren't genetically modified, they are descendants of those created by the Ancients.
So there's no reason why they can't all age faster (or slower) then a normal human... or live way longer etc.

So your reasoning is flawed...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 23 Jul 2011, 01:43

This makes no sense. 18 years in that calendar should be something close to Earth's 18 years. Faster growing is just convoluted.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Jul 2011, 19:55

Sure, because another planet going around the sun at the near exact same speed as Earth is not convoluted at all.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 24 Jul 2011, 12:15

hellegennes wrote:These are still your views; you haven't proved that it's what the majority feels.
Why all of sudden you started talking about majority? 2 is less than 5 no matter what majority feels. Majority felt they were living on the back of of a turtle, so what? Thank almighty god there are things not ruled by democracy, including formal logic, math, physics, chemistry, etc.
hellegennes wrote:And please try not to confuse yourself about who said what. You seem to be answering to Jeff's words as if it were me that have said them.
No, I did not answer to Jeff's words. Recheck yourself. I always quote what I answer, that makes it easy to recheck.
hellegennes wrote:One of two things is happening here: either there is a standard and objective way in creating a game/mod/whatever and you are not good at it, hence that deprives you of the right to be so extremely critical or there is not a standard way to produce something good, and good is a subjective thing in the quality of art. Choose what you like.
There are some more.

1. I never ever said that there is a "a standard way to produce something good, and good is a subjective thing in the quality of art". And still you go on attributing this BS to me every single post. I understand that the only way to win this argument is to answer some fabricated theory of mine. You could just comment on real cases I gave you more than once, but you prefer to avoid it. For a very clear reason.

2. I have too little possibilities to actually get what I want. Less than couple percent, actually. If I had source code and financing then it could be some sort of argument. But if you insist - then you have to accept that you are deprived of the right to criticize anything you do not produce - cars, haircuts, movies, weather and so on.

3. Every single H-IV championship is played using Equilibris. I don't know if that's the case with WOG though.

Anything but "this is still your opinion" left?
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jul 2011, 12:49

Dalai wrote: Why all of sudden you started talking about majority? 2 is less than 5 no matter what majority feels. Majority felt they were living on the back of of a turtle, so what? Thank almighty god there are things not ruled by democracy, including formal logic, math, physics, chemistry, etc.
Too bad fictional worlds aren't ruled by anything resembling objectivity.

StoneCold
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Like Tears in Rain

Unread postby StoneCold » 15 Aug 2011, 16:18

Great article. I love reading the history and taking a trip back in time.

Oh, FORGE RULES. Anti Forge sucks!

Return to “Articles”