Clash of Heroes HD is Out

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Clash of Heroes HD is Out

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Apr 2011, 14:15

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes HD was released yesterday on the Playstation and today on the Xbox 360. They can be downloaded from the Playstation Network and Xbox Live Arcade. To give you a headtstart, I compiled a <a href="/https://www.celestialheavens.com/775">list of Trophies and Achievements</a> you can obtain in the game. Notice that the ultimate achievement is called "Hero of Might and Magic", a nod to our favorite series. I will be adding tips and general strategies in the coming weeks hopefully.

Below is the launch trailer created by the folks at Capy:

<iframe src="/http://player.vimeo.com/video/22304466" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe>

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/775
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Clash of Heroes Achievements/Trophies

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 13 Apr 2011, 15:14

Is this Digimon? I think the M&M label is being abused. OK, I am not trying to offend anyone here. This is just not Might & Magic anymore, yet they still put the M&M label on it. Not that Clash of Heroes doesn't look like it's a cool game, it's just not really Might & Magic at all!

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 13 Apr 2011, 15:56

I assume you're passing judgment without having played it at all.

Clash of Heroes has its own gameplay, but the bestiary, artifacts and RPG elements are very true to Might & Magic. After all, if I follow your reasoning, then when the first Heroes was released, it didn't have anything to do with Might & Magic either.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Apr 2011, 16:03

I see this as a take on the Might and Magic franchise similar to the animated versions of live action features (Animatrix, Star Wars: The Clone Wars). I didn't start playing it yet, but I think I'll be fine with it personally.

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 13 Apr 2011, 16:46

Am I the only one who thinks Anwen looks really, really sexy in this game?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Apr 2011, 16:52

Just like Bugs Bunny when he dresses as a girl?

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 13 Apr 2011, 17:34

Oh I understand that Ubisoft is trying to do. They're trying to create a brand new game for the Might & Magic series, that's all. I do not agree with using the Japanese influenced visuals in the trailer though. Visually it just doesn't seem like Might & Magic.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 14 Apr 2011, 00:21

COH was a pretty good game on the DS. I might get it depending on price.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Apr 2011, 02:12

I forgot to mention that the price is 1200 MS points on XBLA (around $15) and $14.99 on PSN.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 14 Apr 2011, 06:36

>Clash of Heroes has its own gameplay, but the bestiary, artifacts and RPG elements are very true to Might & Magic.<

I think you're confusing "very true to Might and Magic" and "tvery true to Ashan" here :rolleyes: Ashan is hardly Might and Magic... until it will be linked with MM by Heroes VI, of course ;)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 14 Apr 2011, 10:41

>>>Hero of Might and Magic - Complete all amin quest and side quest objectives in all Campaigns.

You mean Amish quest? :D

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Apr 2011, 11:03

@ XEL II: In case you didn't notice, the Haven, Academy, Necropolis, and Inferno faction existed in the previous Might & Magic games... so did most of the creatures found in these factions :p And it's not as if their appearance and background were consistent between all the games set in the old universe ;)
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Clash of Heroes Achievements/Trophies

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 14 Apr 2011, 12:59

Raelag84 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Anwen looks really, really sexy in this game?
Well, I only have the DS version to go by, but I personally liked Fiona best (from an overall appearance standpoint, not just sex appeal)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 14 Apr 2011, 14:49

Even after watching numerous videos on this game, I still can't get a feel for how the combat works. I mean it looks like whole armies are being decimated by one attack and it is leaving you with no units. All those units that seem to disappear after the attack, are they gone, or is that just a visual to show they were attacked.

I just don't know based on these videos if $15 is worth it for this game. Unless I'm missing something and this is much more detailed than armies that get slaughtered in one shot, I'm on the fence.

Anyone care to describe what this game truly involves?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Apr 2011, 15:49

We have a review of the DS version, written by QQD, here:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/746

There's also a demo on Xbox Live (and possibly on PSN as well).

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 15 Apr 2011, 03:39

For $15, that's not a bad price. It's a surprisingly good puzzle game that borrows just enough from the elements of Heroes to make itself unique.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Clash of Heroes Achievements/Trophies

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 15 Apr 2011, 13:05

King Imp wrote:Even after watching numerous videos on this game, I still can't get a feel for how the combat works. I mean it looks like whole armies are being decimated by one attack and it is leaving you with no units. All those units that seem to disappear after the attack, are they gone, or is that just a visual to show they were attacked.

I just don't know based on these videos if $15 is worth it for this game. Unless I'm missing something and this is much more detailed than armies that get slaughtered in one shot, I'm on the fence.

Anyone care to describe what this game truly involves?
After a unit charges up, it advances across the battlefield, killing everything in its path. Each unit it clobbers reduces its power. If its power is reduced to 0, the attack ends without advancing any farther. If it gets to the opposite side, any remaining strength is dealt as damage to the enemy hero. In either case, the units are removed from the battlefield.

Removed units can return by calling for reinforcements. Elite and champion units, if they are killed by an attacker, are lost forever. Ones that attack return to the stock of troops available. More elite and champion units can be purchased from dwellings on the map. Core units are unlimited in supply.

As for the value, I think it is definitely worth the price of whatever you would normally pay for a similar-style game. I don't know typical XBLA/PSN prices (not having either system), but if $15 is comparable to other full titles, then it is definitely worth it.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 15 Apr 2011, 14:05

I saw there was a demo available as well, so I picked that up before making a final decision on the full version.

I only got to play a little late last night (damn the demo for not having a save game feature), but of what I saw it was okay. I was worried about losing units so easily, but seeing how the core units are free and can just be brought back in, that's cool.

I'll have to play more later to see if $15 is justified.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 15 Apr 2011, 17:53

While i found CoH a very nice game, it never warranted such high marks. Gameplay is interesting but gets old after some time (to me it happened in first 30% of game) after which it was just rinse and repeat grindfest.

A 7/10 for style and new system. But it will always stay a minigame by design (a good minigame), while its systems really shouldn't warrant using more of the ideas in real games like heroes (yah this was long lament about useless core/elite/champion change in heroes).

15$ isn't too much if one needs a fresh influx of ashan lore and rather nice gameplay ideas. Do NOT seek long term money value in this one however.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Apr 2011, 18:48

The reviews are very positive (a news item will come later), and some talk about 30+ hours of gameplay. I did find Puzzle Quest very repetitive after a while, not sure if I'll feel the same about CoH.

Return to “Articles”