Good Bye Nival?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Good Bye Nival?

Unread postby Akul » 28 Jan 2009, 16:08

Really, some people here are opsessed with perfection. Taking into consideration that this was Nival's first try on making a HoMM game, they did a great job.

Also, the AI people tend to complain about is not an easy thing to make, even for the best programmers. Can you even imagine the pain of teaching a thing that knows only to count to teach to play a strategic game properly?

The AI of H5 is average, thus doesn't deserve to be commented at all. Good AI's are something to be overjoyed and send donations to their makers. Challenging and great AI do not exist.

Also, there is no doubt that Nival gained experience from making H5. If they continued to be programmers, we would have had good chances of them making a better game then H5. With a possibly new dev team, the chances are that we get a bad game are increased and the possibility of turning HoMM into a RTS series is existing as well. Some of developers that fought over HoMM liecense wanted to do just that.

With that said, if Nival is not going to make another HoMM game, I want to thank them for making a game that beat H3 for me and wish them luck with whatever future project they may have.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Good Bye Nival?

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jan 2009, 16:15

Chuckes = Sir Charles, long time community member, H3Trio contributor and The Genie's Lamp owner. I don't know who he got this information from.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 28 Jan 2009, 17:00

I only know that Chuckles is a friend of Muadib, the producer of H5 (pre-TotE?) so he probably knows some 'inside stuff'
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jan 2009, 17:28

MuadDib: "Hey Chuck, Nival is out and we're in discussion with a Hungarian developer."
Sir Charles: "Interesting, I'll go make some puns with the word "hungry" on the official forum..."
MuadDib: "No, please don't tell anyone."
*** The message could not be delivered because the recipient has left the conversation. ***

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Re: Good Bye Nival?

Unread postby parcaleste » 28 Jan 2009, 18:43

:lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

MER wrote:Hmm, and which would be this Hungarian developer, any ideas? ...
Wasn't the guys that made Serious Sam from Hungary? Or I mix with Poland? Whatever, this sucks. I really enjoy the HV, I love the skill system, the heroes envolvment (spell?) in the battles and (some of) the creatures abilities.

Gotta say this is not a good news, but as we all know "it's all about the monnney". ;|

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 28 Jan 2009, 18:50

No, Serious Sam was made by Croatians.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 28 Jan 2009, 22:54

True, and I don't like the idea of a developer making shooters, all of a sudden making TBS with rpg stuff in it...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 29 Jan 2009, 00:01

Hopefully this means that we can have a good game of heroes without the developer needing to:
1.Patch it to death so that the online multiplayer is functional, an actual map editor is included, and a myriad of crash bugs are fixed... only then to:
2. Stop patching the game even though a large number of balance issues still exist and:
3. Not have constant and obvious plagerism from other fantasy settings (Remember how the Beta Treants were ripped from Warhammer? Notice how the entire dungeon faction is almost a carbon copy of R.A. Salvatore's imagining of the Drow?)
Back from the dead? Maybe.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Good Bye Nival?

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 29 Jan 2009, 03:38

This just means they are rolling the dice again. If they pick people like Obsidian Entertainment to do Heroes 6, then I am pretty sure a lot of us would be screaming for Nival to come back.

But anyway... just as the cosmos of Nival's Heroes develops, it seems we are back at square 1 again. Well... hopefully they'd continue with NWC's Heroes 3 or Heroes 4 continuity (or perhaps Julien's LotA).

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Jan 2009, 08:54

Deadguy118 wrote:>>>Notice how the entire dungeon faction is almost a carbon copy of R.A. Salvatore's imagining of the Drow?)
Someone needs to read more topics on this forum:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... php?t=6952

IIRC storyline, factions and general lore was Ubisoft idea, Nival was responsible for units and cities desing.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Jan 2009, 18:47

*sob* :S For me, no developer will ever match New World Computing. They really loved Heroes of Might & Magic. Too bad 3DO was only interested in making money. Sounds a lot like UbiSoft too. *weeps uncontrollably* Image
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 29 Jan 2009, 19:33

I think you should be weeping because 3DO failed at making money. If they hadn't crashed and burned, we might have gotten to see NWC's vision of H5.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Jan 2009, 20:08

Or NWC failing because of 3DO's pressure, or because much of NWC was gone by the time they started working on H5.

discostu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Good Bye Nival?

Unread postby discostu » 29 Jan 2009, 20:16

I think Nival did better than most people give them credit for. H5 could have been far worse IMHO.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Jan 2009, 20:43

Oh, so HoMM is now the town whore and Ubi is the pimp... well that does explain the stripper party.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 30 Jan 2009, 04:41

Kristo wrote:I think you should be weeping because 3DO failed at making money. If they hadn't crashed and burned, we might have gotten to see NWC's vision of H5.
No, I'm weeping because of 3DO's greed to the point of squashing NWC's creativity & rushing Heroes 4 out the door; causing it to not be up to its best potential and thereby causing sales to plummet. If 3DO would have been patient & waited for H4 to be completed, they may not have gone bankrupt.
ThunderTitan wrote:Oh, so HoMM is now the town whore and Ubi is the pimp... well that does explain the stripper party.
That about sums it up in my opinion.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

skortzy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Good Bye Nival?

Unread postby skortzy » 30 Jan 2009, 13:49

I think this only means we will only see the next Heroes game in 2010 or even later. :(

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Jan 2009, 15:05

HodgePodge wrote:If 3DO would have been patient & waited for H4 to be completed, they may not have gone bankrupt.
I don't it was as simple as that.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 30 Jan 2009, 15:12

Indeed, they put a lot of cash into their own console, and it didn't got sold very well. People thought it was too expansive (and it was wasn't worth it, due to the fact the PSX came out, just like the saturn). The pricetag of nearly 700 US dollars (the introduction price) was just too much. By the time people could afford it, they have bought a PSX of saturn. Also, gamesells went down quite much. Army Men came out like every once in a while, and they had nothing, only the occasional MM game. The 3DO is what necked 3DO.
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: Good Bye Nival?

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Jan 2009, 19:29

MistWeaver wrote:fine with me. i think fans should get a HoMM game with an acceptable AI at least once per decade :P

-- Why? They've never had one before. ;)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Return to “News”