KB: Strategy Game of the Year?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Dec 2008, 18:04

Hundreds of fans seem to think King's Bounty: The Legend is worthy of the strategy game of the year awards, according to <a href="/http://ve3d.ign.com/poll/236/Strategy-G ... he-Year">a poll on IGN's Voodoo Extreme</a>. The reviews of the game certainly support that view, but there is some stiff competition out there: Sins of a Solar Empire, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, GalCiv II: Twilight of the Arnor and Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization, among others, are all games with large fan bases.

Below the poll, people are arguing whether KB is an adventure game or a strategy game, and wonder if a script is the reason why King's Bounty is in the lead. Welcome to the Internet.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1228932295
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 10 Dec 2008, 19:25

Well I wouldn't consider KB a strategy game. I didn't play it but I heard a lot of stuff about it and how it's like.

But at least it's on top :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 10 Dec 2008, 23:03

Spore as strategy? They must be kidding.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 10 Dec 2008, 23:48

@ Avonu:No, not really.It is, in a small crappy way...

Didn't expect this result, seeing the other games in the list...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

kerhonker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kerhonker » 11 Dec 2008, 14:44

it deserves it.....hope the next one is better....

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: KB: Strategy Game of the Year?

Unread postby darknessfood » 11 Dec 2008, 15:20

kerhonker wrote:it deserves it.....hope the next one is better....
It deffinetly does :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Dec 2008, 00:59

There are tons of strategy elements. You have to decide your army composition and where to spend your goal and if you mess up the game will punish you.

Great game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2008, 07:27

everything you do involves strategy, even if it's just "i'll do it willy-nilly"...

But yeah, Spore... you could tell this year had slim pickings just by it's inclusion.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 12 Dec 2008, 10:37

Spore: a mix of well known and easy games, dumbed down even further... After two days it was boring, the only memorable part of it was tha creature creator. King's Bounty? I'm still weeping, because right now I don't have enough time to play with it.

In KB you need to gather an army, and control them on the battlefield. Isn't this enough, to call it partly a strategy game? But even Poker, Minesweeper and Battleship involves strategy.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 12 Dec 2008, 12:25

KB is a RPG game with a non-typical (for an RPG) combat mode. Outside that combat mode, it is a simple RPG without strategic properties.

Spore was boring, not strategic -- sorry I bought it.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Dec 2008, 14:14

What's the difference between realizing in KB that you are fighting undead so you should take your inquisitors out of reserve for the battle and realizing in Homm Tribes that you'll be fighting against spellcasting creatures so you should use goblin witch doctors instead of goblin trappers? It's the exact same strategy element. Similarly in both games you have to decide which creatures to spend money on for the most effective army composition.

Those are the exact same game mechanics...so why is one strategy elements and the other not? In homm (2) you have to decide between helping the good side or the evil side. That is an rpg element. That doesn't detract from the strategy element so what's the problem?

The whole game of KB is combat and picking skills that will affect combat just like homm 5.
Last edited by PhoenixReborn on 12 Dec 2008, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 12 Dec 2008, 14:18

Strategy also includes building your structures for the town. A Duel Map for HoMM 5 for instance is not strategy in the classical sense, it's more like tactics.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Dec 2008, 14:21

Asheera wrote:Strategy also includes building your structures for the town.
Not necessarily. There are board game strategy games where both sides start with equal forces and the things that matter are taking advantage of terrain bonuses and applying greater force to weaker force. If one of those games was made into a pc game would it suddenly not be a strategy game because there was no town building?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2008, 15:05

Chess... now shut up already y'all and go read something besides fanwank definitions on internet fori.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Dec 2008, 21:03

KB's still first. I'm a bit surprised. I can't remember the last time a Heroes game won such an award.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 12 Dec 2008, 21:19

A major distinguisher between tactics and strategy is that tactics is short-term (i.e.: you can easily calculate exactly how a given move will help you) and strategy is long-term. Chess has both -- calculating a five-move exchange which ends with you getting your opponent's queen is tactics, while deciding that aiming for a certain pawn would give you an advantage in the endgame is strategy.

HoMM battles are overwhelmingly tactical, though a small strategic element exists. Most of the strategy comes from the adventure map portion. This is mostly absent in King's Bounty, so King's Bounty is much less deserving of the title "strategy game."

(But I voted for KB in this poll anyway. :D )
Edited on Fri, Dec 12 2008, 18:21 by Darmani

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 12 Dec 2008, 22:50

Have yet to play KB, but I would vote for GalCivII. That game has one more turn syndrome even worse than any heroes game.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 12 Dec 2008, 22:52

@Darmani: Pretty much what I had in mind as well, I just didn't know how to say it properly. Thanks :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: KB: Strategy Game of the Year?

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Dec 2008, 09:21

Darmani wrote:>>HoMM battles are overwhelmingly tactical, though a small strategic element exists. Most of the strategy comes from the adventure map portion. This is mostly absent in King's Bounty, so King's Bounty is much less deserving of the title "strategy game."<<

Or it just seems so because the adv map is real time, so the choices are less apparent.

And the Long term, short term thing is not 100% accurate, as they both can be done at the same time, for example lets say some guys try to beat you up, your strategy might be to scare them off, and your tactic is to horribly mangle the first one that gets close, or the biggest looking one etc...

TheRider
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheRider » 13 Dec 2008, 11:54

King's Bounty is now the Game.

Return to “News”