Might and Magic nostalgia

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Aug 2008, 19:29

There's a fairly nostalgic piece about how great the old Might and Magic games (IV and V in particular) were over at <a href="/http://www.gamebanshee.com/editorials/w ... Banshee</a>. The author notes several things he thinks more modern RPG:s should copy from MM. Considering the fact that those games still generate discussions on the board, that seems like a smart idea.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1219260575
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 21 Aug 2008, 01:22

Very nice article. Thanks. It's kind of funny because I've been playing M&M 2 for the past week so I'm completely immersed in that nostalgic feeling that he's talking about. Yes, the graphics of those old games are dated, but the game wasn't about eye candy like today's games are. They were extremely indepth in terms of exploration and storyline. It really allowed a player to become an "adventurer" instead of going around hacking and slashing. These older RPG's weren't about hand-eye coordination or how quickly you could press certain key combinations, but rather a challenge of your MIND. Imagine that...a game that required you to think AND rewarded you with hours, weeks, months and years of fun.

That being said....I want Might and Magic 10!!!! :O)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 21 Aug 2008, 09:07

"We also have a meld of sci-fi and fantasy with Might and Magic. (...) To me, it means make your game unique or stand out. That feature will always be something Might and Magic was known for."

I couldn't agree more with this statement. How I miss the old MM universe...
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Re: Might and Magic nostalgia

Unread postby XEL II » 21 Aug 2008, 09:25

Marzhin wrote:I couldn't agree more with this statement. How I miss the old MM universe...
Indeed. But with have LotA to continue it ^^

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 21 Aug 2008, 21:05

We all want MM10 SC.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 Aug 2008, 22:14

Ryder wrote:We all want MM10 SC.
Ditto! :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 21 Aug 2008, 23:51

HodgePodge wrote:
Ryder wrote:We all want MM10 SC.
Ditto! :-D
While I agree wholeheartedly with that, as I get older I keep thinking of the saying "All things must pass." With the death of NWC, I now believe there will never be a MM10 that will be as well received or for that matter as good as the original (non-MM9) games. UBI has not shown the talent, desire or inclination to produce such a game. Their management of the Heroes franchise only confirms my fear RIP MM, you will be missed. :rip:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 22 Aug 2008, 01:51

You are unfortunately correct Jeff. The only way I'd even want Ubisoft to even consider a M&M RPG is if they brought in some NWC folks to lead the team. Mainly JVC or Mark Caldwell. With the right incentive...it's possible some NWC folk would come back. But only if the terms were right and they were allowed creative freedom. Again, I'm not sure if Ubisoft is the company for that sort of situation. But hey, we can dream can't we? :O)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 22 Aug 2008, 04:25

I think you're right, it would definetly some input from some ex NWC's. Obviously the big man himself would have to be one, dont think it would feel the same without his input.

I wouldnt mind if Katauri Interactive was given the go ahead to make it. Cant wait to try their Kings Bounty when it's released. Looks very very good.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 18 Oct 2008, 02:33

I agree with the article writer. I just spent my whole week-long fall break vacation playing MM6. Even my second favorite old game franchise, Baldur's Gate, isn't this addictive.

I get so involved in 'go here, do this, click that, finish this quest, loot those monsters, oh boy, another treasure chest' that sometimes I won't even take my hands off the keyboard to take a sip from my drink or scratch an itch, much less get up to go to the bathroom or eat something. If the phone rings, I snarl 'don't bother me!' at it and ignore it.

No, and I mean absolutely NO game published in the past five to eight years can almost totally obsess me like Might and Magic. I think it's a kind of 'perfect storm' of psychological stresses and rewards, many of which are mentioned in the article - the character development, reward for exploration, sudden finds of items far above your level, no level scaling, compelling plot, constant need for more gold (training four adventurers is so darn expensive! - 2000 gold for expert this or that - crucial spells that cost 1000, 2500, or even 10,000 gold - constant temptation in the shops to spend money needed for training - the list goes on and on.)

I've given up on any more games like MM being produced nowadays - I think we have some kind of generation gap going on as far as what we as gamers appreciate and enjoy, as reflected in changes in business/marketing conditions for games.

Fortunately, I can take a break of a few weeks or months from one of these older games and come back to it refreshed as though it were new. So I rotate among MM, Baldur's Gate, NWN, and a couple of others. I still buy and play newer games too, but I usually discard them and never come back to them after a few weeks - I never even finished NWN2, and I still have the two expansions to HOMMV in the shrink wrap sitting in my storage room.

Sorry for the long post - I felt like expressing myself, I guess. Thanks.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 07 Nov 2008, 12:48

Yes, I too spent a lot of time playing World of Xeen.

Return to “News”