The Rise and Fall of Sandro

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 21 Jun 2008, 19:45

Awesome...should be a nice way for me to relax in the coming stressful weeks.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 21 Jun 2008, 20:37

Well...

[captious mode]There were no Necromancers in Heroes I so Sandro had to go somewhere, and his background with regard to shifting from Warlock to Necromancer was invented much later, in Shadow of Death's story arc. Sandro was born in Enroth and knew little / nothing about Antagarich until after the events of Heroes II. Catherine was arranged to be married to Roland by her father, Nicolas, one year after the Succession Wars, because he feared she'd be harmed while serving in his royal guard.[/captious mode]

About fans making up their own storyline, I doubt it was because of sci-fi... more likely just not everyone had played each game back then. I played Heroes I-III when they each came out, but I hadn't even heard of the original Might and Magic series until 2001.

Ignoring all this, gotta say I really enjoyed testing the campaign and offering my meager help. Thanks ByteBandit for this masterpiece.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 22 Jun 2008, 01:27

"I just decided to fill in the blanks"

These blanks were already filled. But once again, cool campaign.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 22 Jun 2008, 08:06

Even though the Story of this campaign may not be in line with the original storyline, I hope everyone enjoys this version. It was fun to write. :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Jun 2008, 01:08

Image ByteBandit. I love your maps. :) I just downloaded all of these and put them into the appropriate 'Map' Folders. Right now I'm playing Arctic Empires from your fantastic A-Empires series of H4 maps. I can hardly wait to indulge in the pleasure of these 'Sandro' maps. What a great idea to have an ongoing campaign which includes all of the Heroes games from 1-4.
~ You the Man ~ Byte … Way to go! Image
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 23 Jun 2008, 05:41

It was a group effort. :D Muszka really ampped up the playability and Koni requested some additions to the story and proof read the entire text! And of course, all the testers and their hours of playing over and over again. We thank you for the resounding :tsup: HP. Enjoy.

maygwan
Scout
Scout

Unread postby maygwan » 23 Jun 2008, 07:33

These maps look amazing, artwork detail ect gonna enjoy playing these

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 25 Jun 2008, 06:51

Angelspit said it all: Wow, BB, you've done something amazing here, and long time Heroes fan that I am (and Sandro fan, btw), I love it.

bot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bot » 26 Jun 2008, 07:14

I've played homm4 wow map, I'm a big fan of it. I've met Sandro randomly. The game allowed me to develop a combo of heroes(my favourite formation: crusader , seer, demonologist, the other not so important). The grandmaster order seer had the crown of enchantment, and I've said everything.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 26 Jun 2008, 17:13

Wow!

Due to an unrelated event, I just dusted off H3 and installed it yesterday on my computer. I have H4 around someplace with all the patches on archive disks. I am being tempted by this marvelous work to install it as well. I had H1 and H2 on an old Mac computer that is long gone. Too bad.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 30 Jun 2008, 21:33

One thing I would like to bring up, is that the H3 map "Sandro Awaits" was not meant to be WoGified. It should be played just using good old SoD. I don't know what the results would be if you did WoGify it. I've never tried it that way. But again, it was'nt designed to be WoGified. "Sandros Revenge" is the WoG map and you cannot WoGify the map. The scripts in the map don't allow for it. Just clarifying how they should be played.

saugeen
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby saugeen » 02 Jul 2008, 12:03

I have some questions regarding this campgain- Can I play these maps if:- I donot have Wog or equilibrus installed on my computer? I don't have or own heros 1 and 2?

I do not have or own heroes 4WoW?. Ionly have Heroes 3 Complete and Heroes 4standard andThe Gathering Storm? and Heroes 5. Is there a readme to help me download and install this? How many maps are included in this camgpain? And can I play this campgain using just Heroes3complete?
Edited on Wed, Jul 02 2008, 08:26 by saugeen

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Re: The Rise and Fall of Sandro

Unread postby ByteBandit » 02 Jul 2008, 18:15

saugeen wrote:I have some questions regarding this campgain- Can I play these maps if:- I donot have Wog or equilibrus installed on my computer? I don't have or own heros 1 and 2?

I do not have or own heroes 4WoW?. Ionly have Heroes 3 Complete and Heroes 4standard andThe Gathering Storm? and Heroes 5. Is there a readme to help me download and install this? How many maps are included in this camgpain? And can I play this campgain using just Heroes3complete?
Edited on Wed, Jul 02 2008, 08:26 by saugeen
It would be nice if you had or could get H1 and H2, but it's really not necessary. You just can't play the first 2 maps until you get them.
If you don't have WoG, but you have H3 complete, it would'nt hurt to have WoG. It's amazing and free. You can get it here
I don't have GS or WoW myself, but I redone the 5th map for my use into a Standard version so I can play it. If you want the Standard version, you can email me at lightmage55 at yahoo dot com.
The Equilibris map is in WoW version, so you may not be able to play it. The download for Equilibris can be found here
You should have Equilibris anyway for balance purposes and it's free too.

Lomedae
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lomedae » 06 Jul 2008, 09:57

I played through the III and IV maps, and I found them to be engrossing and a lot of fun to play. Good job!

Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 06 Jul 2008, 12:45

I get an error script at the beginning of the 4th month in the WoG map and I can't continue the game :( The error looks sth like this:

-----------------------

ERM syntax Error.

File: erm

Line: 6592

Reason:

"AR"-not an artefact or resource.

Save all ERM vars to WOGERMLOG.TXT (may take time)?

-----------------------

-----Context-----

Vy5;.....

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Re: The Rise and Fall of Sandro

Unread postby ByteBandit » 06 Jul 2008, 19:18

Vlad The Devil wrote:I get an error script at the beginning of the 4th month in the WoG map and I can't continue the game.
One thing you might be able to do is reload the game. I've played through it twice without any errors. Maybe a wrong thing took place somewhere along the line by you or even by the AI. Who knows. But I find reloading the game and doing something else different usually solves the problem. If not, you may have to replay it again. I cannot control what Random Artifact pops up and how the AI handles it. I hope you are understanding of that and the advice helps. :)

And Thanks Lomdae.
We're glad you liked them. They were fun to make. They are not easy to play and not too overpowering, but a challenge if you don't plan right.

For people who like keeping score of Campaigns and such, well, you can't with this one, obviously. But you can compare scores with other people who have played it. Add up all six final scores, divide it by six and you have your score! Mine is too low to post here. :(

Vlad The Devil
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vlad The Devil » 15 Jul 2008, 18:01

Hi again! Well I started again the WoG map and no errors this time :). Great maps btw I played the 1st 4 of them and I must say all of them have been impressive and challenging. I had the opportunity to play for the first time Heroes 1 and Heroes 2 and take a closer look at the beginnings of this great game. Now I'm looking forward to playing the last 2 maps since Heroes 4 remains my favorite and the Heroes game with the most playing time :D. Great project to say at least ;)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 29 Jul 2008, 06:55

Well, there has been some reports of the WoG map showing script errors. I have played the map 4 times now. One did show a ERM error, but I was able to correct it luckily. Below is a possible spoiler to avoid any possible ERM errors:

****SPOILER******

Of course Roland is now a Warlock. For his Henchman, I selected the Brute. As the game goes for a few weeks, my Ghosts grow. I split the stack of Ghosts to gain more. I also never added any other troops except maybe the Black Dragons once in a whille. I had Necromancy, so I used the Skeletons as fodder. Also, I had the Spell "Haste," and I use that spell almost always. (I had Expert Air also). I hardly ever use any of the otherSpells, except maybe Town Portal. By doing this, I never got an error, I used one Hero only, I wiped out all the other Factions, all in less than 7 months. I never got one single error by doing this.

It worked for me 2 times.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 29 Jul 2008, 07:51

I just finished the WoG-Map, too. Roland/Sandro needed less than 7 months, too. I sometimes had a crash, when I moved the cursor in the town screen from one building to another. Don't know why. I then used to save more often and reloading and continuing the game was no problem.

BB. To your 'brute' as a henchman: I think it was the commander. Me Roland chose a 'succubus' as commander and Vampires as 'henchmen'. The succubus could convince more and more enemie stacks to fight in Roland's army. The ghosts were very useful!!!

But a problem was the air magic spells. Boragus could fly in the 2nd month already, since he had found the angel wings in a Dragon Utopia, I guess. That disturbed the story way as visiting the tents and devoid guards in front of tunnels was too easy. But I tried to find the 'right' and 'intenioned' way. But when Sandro did the showdown in Axeoth, I noticed, that the white tent was still unvisited. :)

BB: mail report will follow!

And now the German version "Der Aufstieg und Fall von Sandro" is ready and has been sent to CH staff.
Edited on Sat, Aug 02 2008, 01:38 by Koni

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 03 Sep 2008, 23:42

Koni wrote:But a problem was the air magic spells. Boragus could fly in the 2nd month already, since he had found the angel wings in a Dragon Utopia, I guess. That disturbed the story way as visiting the tents and devoid guards in front of tunnels was too easy. But I tried to find the 'right' and 'intenioned' way. But when Sandro did the showdown in Axeoth, I noticed, that the white tent was still unvisited
I thought I disabled all those things, I mean Angel Wings/Air Magic Book and such. Are you sure they had Angel Wings? Couldn't he get Fly from a special shrine with tough Imp?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Return to “News”