Beta Key Shortage

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Feb 2006, 17:00

After the open beta not being really open because of the three day FilePlanet exclusive offer, we now have an open beta that's not really open because of a lack of activation keys. I find ironic the fact that Starforce is causing headaches to Heroes players, but not in the way that was expected. To Ubisoft's defense, I can understand that they didn't expect the beta to be so popular: the beta client has been downloaded <a href="/http://www.fileplanet.com/160065/160000 ... nt">80,000 times on FilePlanet</a> only and is still in fourth place on the site's What's Hot, after having held the first place for a little while. People love to play games for free, should it be a demo, a beta or a freeware title, and the Heroes V beta was released just at the right time.

As a consequence, a <a href="/http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?action= ... w">special offer on Jolt</a> didn't last very long. The 100 keys the site had to give away were gone in no time. Meanwhile, on eBay, an <a href="/http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1">auction for a beta key</a> ended with a price of $42, nearly as much as what the final game will be worth (and the lucky seller won't even have to drive to the post office). On various forums, people are begging for unused keys at every opportunity. All this craziness shows that fans are really serious about trying out the game. It looks like releasing a demo of the game will be a good idea.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1139331656
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby dragonn » 07 Feb 2006, 17:52

That's why I didn't and I will not download the beta. There are a lot of great hero fans and betatesters that will find any possible bug/game mistake so there is no need for my help. I will wait for the final product those couple of months (I hope), and maybe there will be a demo earlier...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Cooba
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Cooba » 07 Feb 2006, 17:56

That just makes it clear that activation keys are a bad idea to put into "open" betas ;).

(by the way, the HoMMV FAQ could as well use an update now.)

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Crusard » 07 Feb 2006, 18:20

42 dollars... that's pretty sick, man :P
==============
I still don't get that stupid WoG puzzle.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Feb 2006, 20:30

The fact that some people would take advantage of this shortage to make money DISGUSTS me! If I ever find out who that guy is, I'm going to pay him a personal visit and reward his impudence with a dozen hard whips to his lower regions with a cane!
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 07 Feb 2006, 20:34

Instead of a cane, I suggest using this:

It will be more persuasive. :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 20:37

Just a side note.Its usually the case that the one thats loudest against something is the most abusive user of that thing.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Feb 2006, 21:15

There is also this guy who auctions CDs filled with Heroes III maps (780+ of them in one case) he probably picked up from the Web. He has been doing it for months. He specifies that "you are not paying for the maps, but the time it takes to compile onto CD."

The funny thing is that the CD key and the map CD sellers both live in Toronto, Ontario.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 21:18

See you when you return from Toronto,Kalah :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 21:21

Angelspit wrote:"There is also this guy who auctions CDs filled with Heroes III maps (780+ of them in one case) he probably picked up from the Web. He has been doing it for months. He specifies that "you are not paying for the maps, but the time it takes to compile onto CD."
So how much does 5 minutes costs?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 07 Feb 2006, 21:28

At least the guy who tried selling WoG on CD seems to have stopped...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Kristo » 07 Feb 2006, 22:01

Kalah wrote:The fact that some people would take advantage of this shortage to make money DISGUSTS me! If I ever find out who that guy is, I'm going to pay him a personal visit and reward his impudence with a dozen hard whips to his lower regions with a cane!
Actually, what he's done is the ESSENCE of Capitalism. Get people to pay for something you have and they don't. What should scare you is the thought that someone is willing to pay $42 for it. I'd be interested to hear if the auction was legit, i.e., the winner actually paid up and the seller was offering a real key.

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Malicen » 07 Feb 2006, 22:46

42 bucks. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Pity... How come that people would pay for that. I am a fan but I think that 42$ for something that will last for a month or two... Pity... I'm stunned that someone is actualy willing to buy a serial key for BETA varsion of the game...
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 22:57

Well the rule is "If someone is ready to pay for it,then make him pay with his last penny"

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 07 Feb 2006, 23:34

ThunderTitan: I don't know how much he is trying to sell the CDs' for, but depending on how much they are it might not be such a bad deal. Even on broadband (and I'm still on a dial-up modem!), downloading and copying 780+ (!) maps could be a very time consuming and tedious task. With my dial-up modem it has taken me many days just to download a few hundred HIII and HIV maps. I would be very tempted to buy the CD(s) if they were reasonably priced and the deal was legitimate. I have to admit, though, that in a way it seems unfair that the authors of the maps get nothing from this deal, so then again I might not buy any CD(s).

Da_Vane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Da_Vane » 08 Feb 2006, 00:16

I am on the beta, and it is specifically stated that actvation keys were intended for one user on one machine only. The screenies had the users name all over them!

If Ubisoft goes ballistic at the idea of having one copy possibly not being in the hands of it's registered user, how must they feel that someone has sold a key for $42!?! Especially since there is no guarantee that the key has been previously distributed. You may mock the person who spent $42 on the activation key for being stupid, but it's the seller who comes out on top...

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 08 Feb 2006, 02:32

I posted here viewtopic.php?t=884 an extra key. Don 't know if it was used yet or not.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 08 Feb 2006, 08:50

Lol. If somebody is stupid enough to pay 42$ for a beta-key, then he/she deserves to PAY it. On the other hand, I can hardly understand why does an OPEN beta need protection (esp. this goddamn SF ). It even contains much less than an usual demo.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Feb 2006, 12:49

At least they're open about that.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Beta Key Shortage

Unread postby Angelspit » 08 Feb 2006, 14:12

There is a new beta key giveaway offer here:

http://rpg.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/ ... p?id=10531

Return to “News”