Walords to Hit the Web Too

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jan 2008, 14:48

I missed an <a href="/http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2007/11/ ... nouncement from last November saying that Steve Fawkner and Infinite Interactive were working on a free Web-based game for Puzzle Quest and Warlords:

<i>"In this game, codenamed Warlords-Online for the moment, you create a Warlord character and play puzzles to gain gold. You then use that gold to help your character conquer the World of Etheria. All this takes place in an internet environment where other Warlords are trying to help their chosen races conquer the world too."</i>

In an <a href="/http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/01/ ... >interview at Kotaku</a>, Steve (a consultant on Heroes V as you may remember) discusses how he got started in the industry, how Puzzle Quest was born and how this new browser game will work.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1201531689
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 28 Jan 2008, 15:06

Yeah, interesting news... Still, I would be more interested in WarlordsV. Without any puzzles.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Jan 2008, 15:20

I liked Puzzle Quest a whole lot, so am looking forward to this.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

skortzy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby skortzy » 28 Jan 2008, 15:24

Sounds fun...

BTW, there is a typo in the news title.

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Warlords to Hit the Web Too

Unread postby Moragauth » 28 Jan 2008, 16:03

Not interested in MMORPGs based off strategy games (although I'll make an exception for Heroes.) I'd rather see WBC IV.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 28 Jan 2008, 17:14

Interesting, the gaming industry slowly moves to the direction of browser games.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Warlords to Hit the Web Too

Unread postby Humakt » 28 Jan 2008, 17:37

arturchix wrote:Interesting, the gaming industry slowly moves to the direction of browser games.
I'm not too happy about that development because I enjoy good single player and hotseat games.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 28 Jan 2008, 17:43

The industry? How many browser based games is the "industry" making? I'm stuck at two. And IMO both of them is to prepare the ground for some bigger project. For example a HoMMVI. And hopefully a WarlordsV.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 28 Jan 2008, 17:46

This is just the beginning, you'll see. It's basically unexplored field, players aren't required to download anything, millions of subscribers paying monthly fees, no piracy, play from wherever you want (home, school, even at work?), unitary patching and stuff...

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 28 Jan 2008, 17:53

Unexplored field? Utopia, Fallen Sword, et cetera. Don't worry, players will download the game they want from a warez, play it on cracked servers, yes piracy, but how big is the chance that BSA will knock on your door?

Or if they are willing to pay for a game, they will rather pay for WoW, or buy an FPS, RTS, and other fashionable games, with better/more content and visuals.

Believe me, these browser based games are no more than early advertisements. I would use them that way, if I was the "industry".:) And yeah, someone will pay for it's development, which is quite cheap, comparing to a bigger game.

It's like when you buy a T-Shirt with the logo of your favourite band: you pay to become a walking advertisement.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 28 Jan 2008, 17:57

I'm talking about the developer perspective, not players. Maybe you'll change your mind sooner than you think. ;)

P.S. By all means, I'm not saying that browser games in the future will replace all existing game genres. :D Browser games is just a new genre relatively unknown for the masses.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 28 Jan 2008, 18:08

In the second part, I wrote the perspective of the devlopers, IMO. And don't worry: they know the perspective of MOST players. What do you think, why good old series died so terribly - Wizardry, Master of Orion, anybody? Because the players.

Sorry, I'm damn concerned about my opinion.:) They're good for casual players, and anybody, who is fed up with solitaire, but has nothing better in the office. But if you are short on time, you won't sit down at home, to play HoMM Online, if you have HoMMVI on your computer. And you won't play Fallen Sword, if you can play Everquest2. Or Planeshift - for free.

Under you I mean the "ordinary gamer stereotype", not a specified person. And the industry makes games for them. Only a few do, what they really want. For example Stardock. Anybody heard of their forthcoming fantasy TBS? Now that's a promising idea - they already proved they are worthy with GalCiv2.
Edited on Mon, Jan 28 2008, 13:09 by Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 28 Jan 2008, 18:12

Don't misunderstand me: I'm not against browser based games. I only see them as advertisements, which will be paid by the gamers, nothing more. The industry won't turn towards them. They will stay with MMO's, Unreal3 engine based shooters. That's my opinion.
Edited on Mon, Jan 28 2008, 13:12 by Ravenheart87

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 28 Jan 2008, 18:23

FYI, just Travian has more than one million players registered - that's a helluva potential customers for the developers who are considering to make a new browser game. I.e., Heroes V sold ~ 500k copies. Of course, not all registered users will become paying members.

Kingdoms comes with a nifty bonus, such as the brand "Heroes of Might and Magic", which will attract even more players, those from Travian or any other current browser game and those who love the HoMM games. With fancy looks and interesting content it shouldn't worry about the lack of interest from the players.

Of course, it's just my opinion. :)

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 28 Jan 2008, 18:53

Travian is free, isn't it? Nevermind... Of course there is money in these browser games, which can be turned into greater projects. But I don't think the industry will leave their comfortable genres for them. I suppose they'll remain tools.

Still, I respect your opinion. And I'm waiting for the moment, when the future will reveal, which one of us was right.:) If you win, I'll send you a beer via e-mail.:)

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 29 Jan 2008, 03:26

arturchix wrote:Interesting, the gaming industry slowly moves to the direction of browser games.
I don't want to be stuborn, but I won't like that.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

MER
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MER » 29 Jan 2008, 09:31

I don't think that browser games will replace desktop games. Just like web applications won't replace desktop ones. A web application just lacks the content/diversity/flexibility.

If a time comes when we can play RTS or FPS with a browser, well then maybe :). But I'll be OK with browser games then :P .

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 29 Jan 2008, 09:49

Don't worry. Browser games will never fully use the potentials of:

-DirectX 10

-brand new video card with 1024 megs of RAM

-dual core CPU

-AGEIA physics (or what is that sh*t called)

-Windows Vista (only good point, I'm an Ubuntu-fan)

-etc...
Edited on Tue, Jan 29 2008, 04:50 by Ravenheart87

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 29 Jan 2008, 10:42

Ravenheart87 wrote: >Don't worry. Browser games will never fully use the
>potentials of:
>-DirectX 10
>-brand new video card with 1024 megs of RAM
>-dual core CPU
>-AGEIA physics (or what is that sh*t called)
>-Windows Vista (only good point, I'm an Ubuntu-fan)
>-etc...
Tons of outstanding games dont.. so whats your point ?

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 29 Jan 2008, 12:03

True. Transport Tycoon, Master of Orion 2, Heroes3 - some of my favourites. But the industry never cares about outstanding games. They only care about games that gamers will buy. I already told before: there is place for browser based games. But they'll never become the mainstream branch of game development.

Wow, my last sentence scared me...:)

Return to “News”