On the Dark Messiah Xbox Demo

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Jan 2008, 20:13

Susan Arendt posts on her <a href="/http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/01/how ... tml">Wired Blog</a> a summary of her frustration with the Dark Messiah Xbox 360 demo, which has been released a couple of weeks ago:

<i>"The game is a first-person RPG and the demo runs you through enough combat, item collection and environmental interaction to give you a fairly good feel for what the game has to offer. What it does not do, however, is let you invert the controls. I had to concentrate every time I wanted to look around, which made something as simple exploring the environment a chore, nevermind what it did to the fighting."</i>

The full game comes out on February 8 2008.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1200600789
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 17 Jan 2008, 20:44

The PC game had great previews and mixed reviews, now even the previews don't look too promising. Oh well.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Jan 2008, 20:58

The post she links to (about making good demos) is an interesting read.

And yeah, I get the feeling the game will be annihilated in reviews.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: On the Dark Messiah Xbox Demo

Unread postby Humakt » 17 Jan 2008, 21:22

The (PC) Game really didn't get the respect it deserved. It has the best melee combat system I've seen in fps and uses physics engine to great effect.

By the way, original Dark Messiah got 92/100 from Pelit Magazine. And that's something as I reckon Pelit is one of the best game magazines around the world and most widespread in Finland.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Jan 2008, 21:41

With this score I would not consider it one of the best.. Good but not THAT good.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 17 Jan 2008, 21:44

Theoretically DM on Xbox should be a hit - I mean, the game shouldn't have all the stability issues the PC game had. But most probably we will witness just the opposite. And I wonder why - Ubisoft does operate in NA, right? Assassin's Creed was a great hit, is still selling, and the PC version soon will be released - is there a good reason why Ubisoft is simply ignoring the NA market to promote the M&M brand games?

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 17 Jan 2008, 22:15

Actually, DM has almost no stability issues as of patch 1.2 (at least on my PC).

But still, I think Ubi's major under-exploitation of DMoMMs potential is just....perplexing. DM's reviews would have probably been on average a full point higher if it had been released as it was with patch 1.2 - which came out a mere month or two after the initial launch. That they're not putting more resources into Elements, especially after ****ing a lot of people off by making it a 360 exclusive, is even more retarded.

For an excellent account of a year's delay turned a mediocre FPS into the major blockbuster Half-Life, see http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991 ... ell_01.htm. Now, why doesn't Ubi have the balls to do something like that?

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 18 Jan 2008, 01:47

Though most probably I will never play this demo, nor the game, but I alway think that a game can change a lot from the Demo till the Full Relase and even more with a few patches(I keep this last one quiet, knowing that it's a console game).
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Marcus333
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Marcus333 » 22 Jan 2008, 23:52

If I may recommend an Xbox 360 game, it would be BioShock. It offers some of the things DM offers - just better. At least compared to the pc version of DM. For instance: 1)great 1st person liniear (correct spelling?) story action and RPG-elements - just like DM. Actually that game convinced me to buy an Xbox.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Jan 2008, 00:07

Seen it, amazing game. Should I find the time I'll get it for pc.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Return to “News”