Starforce Will Sue Your Ass

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Da_Vane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Da_Vane » 01 Feb 2006, 18:22

Ironically, if this was just a rumour, then people would have dismissed it without thinking about it. However, when SF feels they have to threaten to sue people who are speaking their mind, then you have to wonder if it really is just a rumour...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 01 Feb 2006, 19:00

The Starforce contest is over:

http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=83&id=804

They claim it's "The end of rumors!" and announce that no one attempted to win the $10.000 prize (they should be reminded they offered only $1000 during a good part of the contest).

But wait, there's more: "(...) we are going to stand up for our rights using every legal opportunity. We certainly are not going to silence the voices of all the biased people on the internet, but we hope that a little bit of common sense goes a long way."

As Psychobabble said, they need a new PR person badly.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 01 Feb 2006, 20:39

Bandobras Took wrote:Okay, now we have some real reasons to think that StarForce is malicious. While there may not be positive evidence that StarForce does damage systems, there seems to be an equal lack of evidence that it doesn't.
I'm not taking any side here, but just how do you prove something DOESN'T do damage?

Before people answer that, you can't. It is impossible to prove something doesn't happen- The best you can do is show that nothing happened YET. For example, prove that reading this message will *not* cause the AIDS rate to increase. You can't do that. After lots of people read this, and the rate is unchanged, then you can say there is no evidence that it does- but you still have no evidence that it doesn't.

That's the end of today's Logic 101 :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Feb 2006, 00:29

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:For example, prove that reading this message will *not* cause the AIDS rate to increase.
Isnt it more logical that reading this message would decrease the AIDS rate? :D

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 02 Feb 2006, 04:42

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:Okay, now we have some real reasons to think that StarForce is malicious. While there may not be positive evidence that StarForce does damage systems, there seems to be an equal lack of evidence that it doesn't.
I'm not taking any side here, but just how do you prove something DOESN'T do damage?

Before people answer that, you can't. It is impossible to prove something doesn't happen- The best you can do is show that nothing happened YET. For example, prove that reading this message will *not* cause the AIDS rate to increase. You can't do that. After lots of people read this, and the rate is unchanged, then you can say there is no evidence that it does- but you still have no evidence that it doesn't.

That's the end of today's Logic 101 :D
That was kind of my point. StarForce's only possible grounds for a lawsuit is libel, but they'd have to prove that claims of damage are completely false. Which would involve showing a court every single line of their code and explaining all their procedures. Wouldn't mind being in on the audience. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 02 Feb 2006, 05:13

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:For example, prove that reading this message will *not* cause the AIDS rate to increase.
Isnt it more logical that reading this message would decrease the AIDS rate? :D
ROFL!!!! :D

Seriously though, the only issue I can really see with SF is that older version might not always uninstall fully. Newer versions don't seem to have that problem - and the blessed nerds out there (i'm not kidding, I love those guys, they have saved my computer via their online advice many a time) have created software to remove it fully.

The issue I have with the public stance is that most of it is based on heresay, and the fact that people immediately say things like "I'll sue for millions" when in fact, SF is a documented program that they know about, and can simply choose not to install. Believe me, if you have an issue, I'm sure there will be other means of getting H5 available shortly after it is released, and if you disagree with those methods, you can ease your conciense by sending Ubisoft a $50 "donation".

Seriously, guys, there are worse things out there than a software program that aims to stop pirating.

madcat_lives
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby madcat_lives » 02 Feb 2006, 05:25

Too bad they have to use SF, is there a diff safty program they can use? I really don't want any of my money to help SF.
Let them think they are winning, when they find out they are losing, its too late.

Da_Vane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Da_Vane » 03 Feb 2006, 00:59

If StarForce was independant of the software it protects, then you could truly say that we have the choice not to install it. As it stands, the choice is not to install any game protected by it, which includes HoMM V. As a fan of the series, that's a painful choice to have to make.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 03 Feb 2006, 16:44

The StarForce Challenge is not through an independent third party so I wouldn't trust it anyway.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Return to “News”