Another Five for Tribes

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Nov 2007, 03:27

I wonder if any of the reviewers found the fan manual in the game folders?

Amgor II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby Amgor II » 20 Nov 2007, 03:53

Tribes Of The East....I just finish a few campaigns I say they sure

better then a 5... I would say at least an 8/9
In the world of the Dead, its nice to be alive,I think.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby Muszka » 20 Nov 2007, 04:21

Angelspit wrote:I care about reviews. If a site such as GameSpot says that a game (other than Heroes) is only worth a 6, I'll have second thoughts about buying it.
Can really influence your final decizion a review? Especially after you've seen what happened to Heroes?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Ar.Pi
Pixie
Pixie

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby Ar.Pi » 20 Nov 2007, 06:37

All the reviews can kiss my arse!!!

I hate them!

ToE is the best expansion that could come out for H5.

Everything is great about it. I'm playing Heroic difficulty and its actually easyer then the previous campaign of H5. These guys only can play game that you can play with stupid controller.

Let them go back to their couches and play some need for speed underground, its much easyer.

9/10 for ToE as expansion.

And i dont have any technical difficulties. Maybe sometimes the player AI is a bit slow and maybe on big maps the virtual memory gets clocked up too much. But nothing serious. No Bugs.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 20 Nov 2007, 08:42

>Personally, I'd give ToTE an 80% for content and 20% for >performance. This averages to 70% in my mind since I care more >about content.

>You math teacher would be impressed. :D

Weighted averages anyone?

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 20 Nov 2007, 08:51

PhoenixReborn wrote:I wonder if any of the reviewers found the fan manual in the game folders?
Well, if you think about it ... how many players have been whining because they wanted to DL the 3.0 version of the fan manual because they didn't bother to check the game folders ? And just to say, it was written nowhere on the game package that there was a fan manual included ;|

Muszka wrote:Can really influence your final decizion a review? Especially after you've seen what happened to Heroes?
Yup, if I can't test a demo then I mostly trust the french PC Gamers reviews which are quite professionnal and close to my tastes. Sometimes I just can't be assed to DL a 1.5 Gb demo :D

To get back to the review, I find it quite unprofessionnal. The attempts at humor are very bad and unwelcomed imo and that guy barely talks about content ... Tbh, HoF could have deserved such a review but not ToE. And I'm not a fanboy :devil: I still consider ToE only deserves a 75% (so a 7.5/10) A 5 or a 9 are both exagerated.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 20 Nov 2007, 13:15

Some things there were out of place or plain wrong. Seems to be the type to try and pass off as knowing much while he does not. It's easy to see that he brushed through the campaigns so he still finds the game one of the same and has little to offer in justification of the grade.

Someone who knows will not assume that bloodrage is a copy of wow's warrior rage nor come to the conclusion that because you get a taste of all factions in the campaign it is meant to draw new people. Some things are just the way they are. As for complaining that he got to the point of checking the manual to check bloodrage (when he could just check the units), give me a break you did not make a heroic effort.

All in all it's a matter of attitude, that's what I disliked.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby Moragauth » 20 Nov 2007, 14:19

My only problem with ToTE is that it needs to be balanced properly. Otherwise it's great.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Nov 2007, 14:53

Nelgirith wrote: And just to say, it was written nowhere on the game package that there was a fan manual included ;|
Neither is it written anywhere that you can double right click on a unit to get more information about a unit concerning things like spell effects and blood rage...which the reviewer didn't do...that at least is indicated by the game itself...at what point do we draw the line?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby Elvin » 20 Nov 2007, 15:02

That the normal thing to do in ANY rpg/strategy is right click on the units maybe? :)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 20 Nov 2007, 16:34

Nah, we should have game manuals which teach us how use mouse, how to move it, how to push its buttons.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 20 Nov 2007, 16:37

Nelgirith wrote:And just to say, it was written nowhere on the game package that there was a fan manual included ;|
I'm not sure promoting the fact that a manual was outsourced to paying customers would have improved the review score in any way. :D

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby Veldrynus » 20 Nov 2007, 17:21

Yeah, and the reviewer is the moron again....
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 20 Nov 2007, 17:49

So, why is the campaign so "hard"?

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 20 Nov 2007, 22:21

Actually I don't get one thing. Do you guys play every game alt-tabbing with a manual? Or games aren't enjoyable without them?
I never used manual with new games. I like discovering. I find it boring that if a game don't have anything to be discovered.
I rather agree with those who state that both the review and the reviewer were unprofessionals.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Alabaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby Alabaster » 20 Nov 2007, 22:46

If you play on hard, the game DOES have to pretty much go perfectly. Also, there's really only one valid strategy: put all your creatures, artifacts, and experience into one super-hero, reload any time he takes significant losses, and take the enemy city before you get out-monied. If you delay too long a full strength enemy hero 2 levels above yours will come at your city without a single unit lost from day 1.
Edited on Tue, Nov 20 2007, 17:47 by Alabaster

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 20 Nov 2007, 23:35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you play on hard, the game DOES have to pretty much go perfectly. Also, there's really only one valid strategy: put all your creatures, artifacts, and experience into one super-hero, reload any time he takes significant losses, and take the enemy city before you get out-monied. If you delay too long a full strength enemy hero 2 levels above yours will come at your city without a single unit lost from day 1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's kind of true for many strategy games anyway... If you screw up something big, then it's gg. What's wrong with that? The hard and heroic difficulties are really geared towards people who are a bit more familiar with how things work. If a player wants to make all kinds of mistakes and still win, then there's the easy mode...

And by the way, in real games, it can be advantageous to have multiple intermediately-levelled heroes than one super hero, especially in large maps.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Another Five for Tribes

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 21 Nov 2007, 00:29

"That's kind of true for many strategy games anyway... If you screw up something big, then it's gg"

Yeah, take Disciples for example. If your strongest hero gets killed because of a reckless decision, its game over. There is no way you can come back from that kind of setback unless everyone else had that setback, too. And we all know computers don't make mistakes. :)
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Nov 2007, 00:36

Well, i like the fact that some reviewers put some humor in their reviews. However,if you cannot make clear what sucks at a game and just start mouthing of to something without ANY good reason, then youre just a piece of sh*t in my eyes.... Haven'tplayed the game myself, but i think it will be worth a lot more then a louwsy 5...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 21 Nov 2007, 14:24

darknessfood wrote:Well, i like the fact that some reviewers put some humor in their reviews. However,if you cannot make clear what sucks at a game and just start mouthing of to something without ANY good reason, then youre just a piece of sh*t in my eyes.... Haven'tplayed the game myself, but i think it will be worth a lot more then a louwsy 5...
I agree with most of this, but having sorted through several threads here, I'm not sure it deserves much above a 5, could be wrong, as Tribes problem for me is more one of omission than anything else. Two examples that have me concerned, Ok everyone should know my complaint about the editor and its lack of progress, and number two is why couldn't UBI include tribes compatible H-V and HOF campaigns with the game. It certainly would not have been much of an investment on their part and would have been a nice gesture. If they were worried about alienating the owners of the earlier versions, they could have or still can make them installable only if you own the previous versions the way 3DO made the free H-III chronicles downloads. You know to play the H-V tribes compatible, it checks to see if H-V is installed on the computer, same with HOF. Many may say someone would crack the code and get past it, well UBI has already approved fan modded tribes compatible versions, but these require some extra computer knowledge than just installing it, again it would have been a nice gesture.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “News”