Tribes Review at 1UP

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Nov 2007, 20:12

For some reason, reviews of the Tribes of the East expansion are taking a while to come up online. GameSpy, among others, is too busy playing <i>Gears of War, Call of Duty 4</i> and <i>Hellgate London</i>. However, 1UP posted <a href="/http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164269">another short review</a> of the Orcish expansion, giving the game a 7 out of time and a fairly positive bottomline:

"Nival took Heroes V in a new, elaborately lush artistic direction, which remains as beautiful as ever -- and well connected to the Dark Messiah look -- in this expansion. General game performance is unfortunately unimproved, and things sometimes slow to a near-crawl on the tactical map. Ultimately, Tribes of the East manages to gobble time as effectively as any good Heroes installment; it's an impressive final outing for Heroes V -- and another strong showing from Nival."

Elsewhere, arturchix spotted a reference to the December edition of PC Zone UK, which gives the expansion a grade of 58%. The article itself is not available online.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1194639122
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby Elvin » 09 Nov 2007, 20:31

Nice review, does not repeat what the others said and makes some good points of its own. Short and to the point.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby rdeford » 10 Nov 2007, 02:47

I agree.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby Muszka » 10 Nov 2007, 08:49

Could have been longer, but after the other reviews this is a piece of art.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Nov 2007, 13:43

Interesting that the editor's gave it a 7, but the site average is a 6.2. Before anyone rolls in I have not voted there, and will not until I decide to buy it, which I have not done it even when it was reduced to 19.99. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Nov 2007, 16:44

jeff wrote:Interesting that the editor's gave it a 7, but the site average is a 6.2. Before anyone rolls in I have not voted there, and will not until I decide to buy it, which I have not done it even when it was reduced to 19.99. ;|
What's really interesting is that on the same page it says user rating 5.5.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=31 ... ec=REVIEWS

The numbers are meaningless without knowing how many people are involved.

For example Metacritic gives an average score of 67 from 5 review sites, and 9.6 from 5 user voters.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... the%20east

They at least say how many votes are involved...but 5 votes is too few to be meaningful.

Gamespot has the best statistics in terms of large numbers:

Gamespot score 5.5,
critic score (avg of 3 sites) 6.5,
300 user votes 7.9

Reading the user reviews some people gave sympathy votes of 10 because they felt the gamespot review was harsh.

So even those numbers don't really mean a whole lot.

The upshot is that if you read enough fan reviews and site reviews you will know whether or not you want the game.

For example, you personally view the map editor as high in importance, but I can't think of a single review, fan or otherwise that talked about the map editor beyond acknowledging that exists (and incorrectly noting a lack of documentation in one case)...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Nov 2007, 16:50

PhoenixReborn wrote: What's really interesting is that on the same page it says user rating 5.5.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=31 ... ec=REVIEWS

The numbers are meaningless without knowing how many people are involved.

They at least say how many votes are involved...but 5 votes is too few to be meaningful.

Gamespot has the best statistics in terms of large numbers:

Gamespot score 5.5,
critic score (avg of 3 sites) 6.5,
300 user votes 7.9
You're right most of the stats are meaninless, which is why I said it is the peoples comments here that help me decide which way to go.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

VodevilX
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby VodevilX » 11 Nov 2007, 12:06

9.5/10 in a Hungarian gaming magazine :)

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 11 Nov 2007, 12:44

Decent review. Imho it shows that we are not blind fanboys, it gives almost the same mark as IGN review yet we are not shouting wtf and so on.

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby Moragauth » 11 Nov 2007, 14:39

Playing the goddamn game's demo should suffice to tell you if you want it or not. If you enjoyed HoF, ToTE is great. Trying to average out reviews etc. is an exercise in futility, unless you're completely new to the series.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 11 Nov 2007, 15:29

Not always and there is only so much you can see in a demo. For all you know you are shown the good part and the rest is broken.
The game could be perfect in every sense except have terrible balance and you would not know.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby Veldrynus » 11 Nov 2007, 19:03

Yeah, if the fanboy's fav game gets a good review, it's automatically "a piece of art", but when it gets some bashing, the writer is "obviously" a moron.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 11 Nov 2007, 19:20

Truer words have never been spoken in this thread.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 11 Nov 2007, 21:43

Veldrynus wrote:Yeah, if the fanboy's fav game gets a good review, it's automatically "a piece of art", but when it gets some bashing, the writer is "obviously" a moron.
I don't think it's so easy.

The gamespot review has factual errors and things that show the reviewer does not actually know how to play the game. Just because someone knows how to play the game and says that review is bad does not make them a "fanboy". Your just throwing out labels to make people seem extreme.

There are fewer bugs on release, all the factions are playable, the artifacts have descriptions etc, there is even more content... and yet the game is getting worse reviews than heroes v original and hammers. It doesn't add up.

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby Moragauth » 11 Nov 2007, 22:34

Doesn't take a 'fanboy' to find the Gamespot review deficient...

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Tribes Review at 1UP

Unread postby Muszka » 12 Nov 2007, 02:28

One may find it subjective the 'piece of art' term, and may say that I'm a fan, but still this is a good review, at least better than the others, and I mean the quality of it. The other reviews were somekind of fictional, this one has more reality. True, it's short, so it can't be an excelent or a perfect review. It's just somewhere between good and average. The 'piece of art' was just a comparsion. The other reviews' problems were not the scores they had gave, it were the missing and unreal arguments.

A perfect review is Angelspit's Etherlords II review, that is a real 'piece of art'.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Return to “News”