Tribes Review at Games Radar

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Oct 2007, 15:14

From what i understood he didn't say that the campaign where crappy, but that the games would bee crappy if you could only play the campaigns and no other maps... classic SP vs Mp argument.

The reason we give campaigns so much weight is because he enjoy stories more then contests.

@Zam

No, it's because they're french that i don't like the french...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Capt_Tripps
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Capt_Tripps » 27 Oct 2007, 17:23

I could have sworn that the 67 page, fully illustrated, step by step walkthrough on making a map constituted a tutorial.

HOMM5_Editor_Practical_Guide.pdf

Of course they did cleverly hide it in the folder named

Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East\Editor Documentation

I mean, seriously, why should somebody that wants to make a map even bother to look in the start menu under Manuals\Editor Manual for the 9 documents linked there. Actually, I suprised he found the editor without a link on the desktop.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 27 Oct 2007, 17:30

@TT

may be true that the game would be crappy with only campaigns, but I will never know that.

But you must see that there are ppl who plays only campaigns (more or less) still likes heroes (referred to what Kareeah Indaga wrote).

And the French? I have some founded and unfounded reasos to hate them. Ubi is just another dot in the pattern. To be no missunderstanding, I've met lovely french ppl, but they are the exeption. And how we all know "exeptions strenghtens the rules."
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

jeff

Re: Tribes Review at Games Radar

Unread postby jeff » 27 Oct 2007, 18:06

Capt_Tripps wrote:I could have sworn that the 67 page, fully illustrated, step by step walkthrough on making a map constituted a tutorial.
First I am not going to turn this into another rant about the editor, but the walkthrough you are talking about is among the worst tutorials I have ever seen and contributes to my overall opinion of the editor's difficulty. Now as far as the reviews if you were disappointed in H-V then anything about a 6 of 10 is too high for anything associated with it and if you loved it any review less than an 8 is unfair. Each reviewer is entitled to their opinion and if it is contrary to yours that does not mean they are unfair, uneducated or stupid. The only stupid individuals are the ones that react irrationally to them, so whether you think they are too high or low, just suck it up and move on, yours is the only important opinion to you. List 100 reviews for websites or magazines giving it a high or low rating means nothing to me, but I am still reading all of your opinions before I decide on whether to buy or not, as gamers who know the franchise they carry weight with me.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Capt_Tripps
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Capt_Tripps » 27 Oct 2007, 18:36

Simple factual inaccuracy detracts from the value of the review and brings into question the validity of the reviewers judgements. This reviewer can't event get a simple fact like "No tutorial for map/scenario editor" correct. This is not a quality to be judged or an opinion to be given. The tutorial is either there or it isn't. And seeing as it's one of his bullets on his final score tally, you'd think that he would at least make sure it was accurate. If the reviewer is too unprofessional, too lazy, or too stupid to be bothered with checking simple facts, maybe he should find something better to do with his time.

I never said that the score was deserved or undeserved, too high or too low, or if the editor tutorial was good or bad. In fact, I never mentioned the score or gave any kind of opinion about it. If anything, it appears that you are the one who is fixating on the score. I merely pointed out (sarcastically) that the reviewer seems incapable of checking the simplest, most easily verifiable of facts.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 27 Oct 2007, 20:18

Capt_Tripps wrote:Simple factual inaccuracy detracts from the value of the review and brings into question the validity of the reviewers judgements. This reviewer can't event get a simple fact like "No tutorial for map/scenario editor" correct.
Alright now I do not as yet own it, but a pdf file is not a tutorial in the gaming tradition. A tutorial is where you follow along screen by screen accomplishing tasks as they are presented to you. Does tribes have one of those, that would be helpful. If on the other hand all they have is a rewrite of the pdf files that came with H-V, that IMO is not a tutorial. Even the follow along pdf file in the original was not a true tutorial as it did not demonstrate the events as you attempted to follow their instructions.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Oct 2007, 20:31

@Muszka

Why are you responding to me?! the only full MP game i ever played was helping my bro beat his friend who actually plays the game... and yet has never managed to beat my bro, who i don't think ever played it more then 10 times. :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 27 Oct 2007, 21:18

jeff wrote:
Capt_Tripps wrote:Simple factual inaccuracy detracts from the value of the review and brings into question the validity of the reviewers judgements. This reviewer can't event get a simple fact like "No tutorial for map/scenario editor" correct.
Alright now I do not as yet own it, but a pdf file is not a tutorial in the gaming tradition. A tutorial is where you follow along screen by screen accomplishing tasks as they are presented to you. Does tribes have one of those, that would be helpful. If on the other hand all they have is a rewrite of the pdf files that came with H-V, that IMO is not a tutorial. Even the follow along pdf file in the original was not a true tutorial as it did not demonstrate the events as you attempted to follow their instructions.
You are really trying hard, are you? A TURORIAL for the editor? Like, a movie on how to make a map the same way as you are lead hrough a game map? Sure. You see it in every game. I think, that's a really pathetic point now, and you can quote me on that.
ZZZzzzz....

Capt_Tripps
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Capt_Tripps » 27 Oct 2007, 21:30

Despite the eronious bullet about the editor (which isn't even commented on in the review), I found the review, although extremely casual, to be quite nice. This probably fits well with majority of the sites viewers. I would expect a celestial heavens review on the other hand to be quite a bit different and more detailed. I do feel however that the score/bullet system actually detracted from the review. I feel that a score of anywhere from about 6 to 8.5 could have fit the reviewers comments. The review would have been better if they had just left it out.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 28 Oct 2007, 00:15

Jolly Joker wrote: You are really trying hard, are you? A TURORIAL for the editor? Like, a movie on how to make a map the same way as you are lead hrough a game map? Sure. You see it in every game. I think, that's a really pathetic point now, and you can quote me on that.
I don't know what the hell you are talking about, I asked a simple question, Capt Tripps and others are hung up on the no tutorial comment, I simply asked what type of tutorial was present. The walk through with the initial release was a dismal failure considering the complexity of the editor, if they improved it so it is helpful great. Try and get past it and realize not everything I say is an attack on your beloved H-V.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 28 Oct 2007, 04:46

@TT

'cos you were the one who continued Humakt's point.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 28 Oct 2007, 09:05

"Try and get past it and realize not everything I say is an attack on your beloved H-V."

Jeff, if it makes you feel any better a quite many people too slashed at me because I "attacked their beloved Heroes IV" with my "unjustified, unprofessional and just plain stupid arguments". This is really ironic considering the fact that I do play the game, I do enjoy it even more with Equilibris installed. My main fault was to suggest a change in Potions of Immortality system.

In my opinion, both Heroes IV and V are great games in their own special way. They were just rushed out the door too quickly and left in a partially unfinished state. To summ up the problem: Heroes IV was made by an American company on the edge of its financial doom whereas Heroes V was made by a Russian company with Russian gaming experts working on it. ;)
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 28 Oct 2007, 14:28

Trying to stay on topic, one of the complaints with HOF was changes made to the editor caused several H-V created maps to function differently Pitsu said "Academy towns were type 2 in H-V but type 5 (I think) in HOF causing his maps not to work. How does Tribes treat maps created in earlier versions, that would be an area that should affect the overall rating, either making it higher or lower.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Oct 2007, 14:38

Muszka wrote:>>>>'cos you were the one who continued Humakt's point.<<<<
No, i merely explained it because people seemed to think he was saying that the stories sucked, and then i explained why some people prefer the campaigns.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 28 Oct 2007, 23:02

Ok.

Sorry for missunderstanding.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 29 Oct 2007, 02:03

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>I don't know what the hell you of tutorial was presare talking about, I asked a simple >question, Capt Tripps and others are hung up on the no tutorial >comment, I simply asked what type ent. The >walk through with the initial release was a dismal failure considering >the complexity of the editor, if they improved it so it is helpful >great. Try and get past it and realize not everything I say is an >attack on your beloved H-V.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't mind JJ. He tends to go berserk when people make the slightest of negative remarks about the game.

As for tutorials, I guess we can wait and see if any of the dedicated gamers will write one up (just as the case with the game's manual). I mean, a video is not necessary but a follow-along type of documents can greatly compress the learning curve. I'd personally appreciate some sort of guidelines to convert a HoF map to a TotE map.
Edited on Sun, Oct 28 2007, 22:04 by ywhtptgtfo

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Moragauth » 29 Oct 2007, 15:43

You people get far too personal...

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 30 Oct 2007, 07:34

Internet is serious business after all.