GameSpot Gives Tribes a 5.5

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
grimogre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grimogre » 20 Oct 2007, 14:16

Kick that reviewer's butt from one end of the universe to the other.Show no mercy!!Take no PRISONERS!!!NO PRISONERS!!!

michiganjf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby michiganjf » 20 Oct 2007, 14:21

Sounds like the reviewer didn't have a clue about how to play the early game, i.e.- the first couple of weeks. I'd definitely give it at least a 9. If it ain't a first-person shoot-em up, these idiots just can't connect!
Edited on Sat, Oct 20 2007, 10:36 by michiganjf

grimogre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grimogre » 20 Oct 2007, 14:29

I voted a thumbs up for everyone:)TOO BAD I CAN'T VOTE FOR MYSELF:)

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 20 Oct 2007, 14:34

Quote from review: "For example, the new bloodeyed cyclops plays much like the Sylvan treant"

I think that says it all, doesn't it? Give me a HUGE break.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

michiganjf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby michiganjf » 20 Oct 2007, 14:49

Why can't I get my Avatar to show up correctly? I am using a *.gif file and it is less than 50x50 pixels and less than 10 kb. What gives?

michiganjf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby michiganjf » 20 Oct 2007, 14:53

Anyone?
Edited on Sat, Oct 20 2007, 10:54 by michiganjf

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 20 Oct 2007, 14:59

"So he says the game is addictive (which to me means good) but slams it with a low score?"

You've clearly never played RunEscape if you think "addictive" means fun. By the way, slot machines are also addictive, but I'd have difficulty imagining them to be fun.

I haven't read the review yet (or even played the expansion - just the demo), but so ar I must agree with this statement

"or even worse, hitting the end-turn button to zip through weeks to reload recruits and shrines. It all combines to feel cheap instead of challenging."

I played Father Sky's Fury once on Hard difficulty. Appallingly, I was able to sit back in my castle for weeks at a time defeat invaders with just a couple of Cyclopes and some small support from other units, and then go on to win the scenario destroying most of the enemy castles with catapults.

No Heroes game should play remotely like that. If you just sit back with your single castle against AIs with multiple castles on the second hardest difficulty, you should be crushed by an AI that builds up far more quickly than you. You certainly would be in any other HoMM (well, not sure about HoMM IV).

Whoever had the idea of destroying all captured castles so that they require no effort, secondary heroes, diversion of resources, etc to defend should also be whipped for making this lame strategy so much easier to use.

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 20 Oct 2007, 14:59

Prolly better place to ask that...but I do see your avatar.

jeff

Re: GameSpot Gives Tribes a 5.5

Unread postby jeff » 20 Oct 2007, 15:04

arturchix wrote:To me it looks like Ubisoft doesn't have lots of friendly reviewers in US. Just ignore them and evaluate yourself.
Well not worry UBI doesn't really care too much for the US market, so what goes around comes around. :mad:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 20 Oct 2007, 15:10

Nelgirith wrote:Besides Arantir's campaign, the storyline is quite dull and the final map is way too difficult compared to the rest of the game. If the reviewer played that map, I agree with his view upon the game. Return, return, return, summon creatures, fight, return, return, return, return, summon creatures, fight, fight, return, return, rince and repeat.
So if one map is hard then the whole game is hard? Absurd.
Darmani wrote:I played Father Sky's Fury once on Hard difficulty. Appallingly, I was able to sit back in my castle for weeks at a time defeat invaders with just a couple of Cyclopes and some small support from other units, and then go on to win the scenario destroying most of the enemy castles with catapults.

No Heroes game should play remotely like that. If you just sit back with your single castle against AIs with multiple castles on the second hardest difficulty, you should be crushed by an AI that builds up far more quickly than you. You certainly would be in any other HoMM (well, not sure about HoMM IV).
I think you missed his "point".

Wraith
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wraith » 20 Oct 2007, 15:53

reason for this,is gamespot guys have played too much halo3,they dont wanna play anymore anything else
Edited on Sat, Oct 20 2007, 11:53 by Wraith

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 20 Oct 2007, 16:24

I've only played the demo, but I would give TOTE and 8 or better. This reviewer is likely a FPS or RTS player and doesn't understand the strategic maneuvering required to do well at a turn-based strategy game. Also, he is likely addicted to the tactical rush given by the frantic pace of those games and cannot appreciate the subtle, yet profound rush you get when a longer term strategy rewards you with a victory. Let us not get angry with him; instead let us pity him.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

herorocks
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby herorocks » 20 Oct 2007, 16:30

You can't blame a game because it's "extremely difficult" for you, it will only expose your "extremely stupidness". On the contrary, a game should receive positive credits if it's is difficult to conquer AI.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Oct 2007, 17:59

herorocks wrote:You can't blame a game because it's "extremely difficult" for you, it will only expose your "extremely stupidness". On the contrary, a game should receive positive credits if it's is difficult to conquer AI.
I think you missed the point; their complaint was not that it was difficult, but the repetitive nature used to make it difficult. The method is certainly open to criticism whether you agree with it or not is up to you, and this does not reveal anyone’s “lack of intelligence.”
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Telumehtar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Telumehtar » 20 Oct 2007, 18:17

such people could review the 7 wonders of the world and find them repetitive... "...it's a great pyramid, I don't know how they've built the thing but you know the stone wasn't the right color, looks very stony, the texture is tedious, so I'll give it a 3.6"

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 20 Oct 2007, 18:30

To jeff:

They complained that it was difficult, as well.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Oct 2007, 19:03

herorocks wrote:"On the contrary, a game should receive positive credits if it's is difficult to conquer AI."
too bad the AI isn't why it's difficult...

but my problem with the review is that none of the problems stated are really new... yet H5 vanilla got an 8+!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby archcorenth » 20 Oct 2007, 19:46

I, of course, don't agree with them that the game's too difficult. The Heroes series main problem has always been that it's been too simple. Heroes IV, for instance, although fun didn't have a difficult map in the entire game. That Heroes V requires more thought is a much welcome addition, it's biggest problem is that the plot isn't very engaging.

I do agree with the reviewer that the alternate upgrades are could have been much more imaginative. Also that several of the goblin troops are similar to already existent troops. In fact that's one of the games major problems, too. Why does almost every top level troop have to be a dragon! And here's yet another one. I liked Heroes II the best where black dragons were actually impressive.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Oct 2007, 20:01

Nival unimaginative? Whatever gave them that idea? :P
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

grimogre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grimogre » 20 Oct 2007, 20:20

I'm going to tell Gamespot that Brett Todd review sucks....All your bases are MINE!!!

Return to “News”