News Supression Pact

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Rhutobello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Rhutobello » 30 Jan 2006, 09:24

Veldrynus at 2006-01-30 01:16 wrote:

In don't believe that Ubisoft will release a more flawed than average game. They can and will decide on their own, if they need to delay it. No need for this pathetic and childish fan protest.

Well if you think that way, why do we protest on anything (in general)? Most of the time people protest ageinst stronger oponents, and many times they will be heard, maybe not win but changes made.

of course there are danger to do such action, it can split a community if not done right, but I strongly belive they have done it right this time, due to those 2 latest 3DO,s (MM and MoMM) titles they need a strong release to get back on track.

Gyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Gyx » 30 Jan 2006, 09:44

Hi All!

I signed the petition earlier with the argument that if you buy a car, you don't want the steering wheel delivered three weeks later. (=patches & updates) IMO, Ubisoft whishes to revamp the HoMM series. Good for them. The only way to do this, is by releasing a quality product! The disappointing Heroes IV made it clear, that even a HoMM game needs good development. So, try and imagine their situation: if they release a bad product, interest in the brand will decline and they can write off their investment on the name, brand & dark messiah in one turn. So, in effect, I assume they will use the free publicity to announce that they WILL make the necessary adjustments. After all, they have a bigger interest than just this 1 title. That said, I want to complement Angelspit and the operators of the other sites, not only for their hard work for the HoMM community in general, but also for making this stand. If Ubisoft takes advantage of all this "turmoil", they might be able to turn it into something positive. That would also be in their own interest. The signal has been sent, if we as fans agree or not.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 30 Jan 2006, 09:48

The disappointing Heroes IV made it clear, that even a HoMM game needs good development.
Even? Any game needs good development, and a game as complex as Heroes especially needs good development.

Gyx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Gyx » 30 Jan 2006, 10:39

Well, Gamespot announced that the effort paid of, as a result of the online petition. Congrats, everyone involved. It seems Ubisoft listened.

hahakocka
Pixie
Pixie

News Supression Pact

Unread postby hahakocka » 30 Jan 2006, 10:43

I agree to delya the game but disagrree the strongly therat to Ubisoft and that the game will release at the begining of Summer I want it in April or July if it eill release amd sholud be far more better thamt this beta and with none bugs.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: News Supression Pact

Unread postby Veldrynus » 30 Jan 2006, 10:43

Rhutobello wrote:
Well if you think that way, why do we protest on anything (in general)? Most of the time people protest ageinst stronger oponents, and many times they will be heard, maybe not win but changes made.

Good question. There are psychological reasons behind it. Basically, we protest because we want to be heard, and there are no better solutions for a problem. Yes, the opponent is EVERY time the stronger. This means, most times the protests have no positive results. But even if we know that it is hopeless we still do it, because this way we release some tension . It is a natural thing.

@ Vision
(Ok, my original message was edited by the mods, so I try to be more diplomatic here)
Sorry, I don't really need your advice on how to manage my life. Some people might think that you're trying to insult me. But this isn't true, we know it. You respect me, like a faithful minion respects his master. For your joy, I am announcing it now: Yes, I have a life ! No need for worries.
;)
Last edited by Veldrynus on 30 Jan 2006, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Malicen » 30 Jan 2006, 10:46

I just hope that all this will somehow make Ubisoft delay the game. Good move. Just keep on with good work. :)
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 30 Jan 2006, 10:49

Mod Note: Vision and Vel are both to stop insulting eachother. Now.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

MT Silver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby MT Silver » 30 Jan 2006, 11:25

I think this is great. I feel this might work.

Oh and Corribus, you rock ^^

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 Jan 2006, 14:35

Veldrynus wrote:The example with Vioxx, isn't really relevant here. Bad publicity in pharmaceutical business is FATAL.
But Veldrynus, I thought it was a rule? That's my whole point, so Vioxx is quite relevant. You can't say something is a RULE and then start making all types of exceptions to it. That's what we call backpedalling. By your own admission, there is indeed such a thing as bad publicity. And just because it is more likely to occur in an industry such as the pharmaceutical industry, that does not preclude the possibility that it can occur in other industries such as the game industry, provided the circumstances favor it. Which they do in the case of Heroes.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Jan 2006, 14:40

Arzang wrote:
Xsi wrote: Sometimes its better to just say nothing, now you look like the other 100s of idiots, who thought they made a point by saying this sort of thing.
I was just making a point. a bunch of whiners (I have nothing against alternate opinions though) coming from nowhere to criticize.

the point was: new members of the hommunity show their faces when the community expresses concern about the game's current state. and what do the new members do? side with the company, not the community. THIS is what bothers me, not your homm history, not the amount of posts, not anything to that extent.
That whole argument is rather flawed, given that the Celestial Heavens Forums recently reset just about everybody's posts to 0. I had well over eight hundred, from patient posting and replying to topics where I felt I had something to say, but that credibility's gone.

To wit: almost everybody's going to look like a new member unless they've been doing ridiculous spamming and one-line agreement posts.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Vision » 30 Jan 2006, 15:32

There's the sarcasm! WOOT!

Thats the Veld we all know (or hear about)! Schweet

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 30 Jan 2006, 15:39

Bandobras Took wrote:That whole argument is rather flawed, given that the Celestial Heavens Forums recently reset just about everybody's posts to 0. I had well over eight hundred, from patient posting and replying to topics where I felt I had something to say, but that credibility's gone.
I think you're referring to the fact that post counts were reset when the site moved, right? If that's what you're referring to, then why do you say that "that credibility's gone"? The site moved, everyone's post counts were reset! You didn't expect the mods to start looking up everybody's post count on the old RT and set them here, did you?
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 30 Jan 2006, 15:42

@ Corribus

Ok, this isn't some universally corect rule, but it works almost perfectly in the entertainement business, wich means we can use it in this case too. No need to argue about the exact meaning of the word 'rule' here. It is irrelevant.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 Jan 2006, 15:43

Veldrynus wrote:No need to argue about the exact meaning of the word 'rule' here. It is irrelevant.
Of course it is.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

gman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gman » 30 Jan 2006, 15:48

What is this save heroes idiocy ?

Nival and Ubisoft have already saved heroes.

We need to make more noise about heroes not do stupid things like this --

"As of 2pm GMT today (Sunday 29th) administrators of the major Heroes of Might and Magic fan sites around the world have signed a News Suppression Pact in protest to a premature release of Heroes of Might and Magic 5."

"As an action of protest, following this announcement, no news or updates will be posted on our web sites. Additionally, Heroes of Might and Magic 5 information will be removed from our web sites."

(taken from the website
http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/)

Supressing news about a game is no way to get people interested in it and sell it.

You dont say hey lets not do any marketing or promotion lets just wipe all news about this game off our websites and keep quiet about it, yeah that'll really sell it.

the game should be advertised everywhere amazon.com play.com www.game.net etc and there should be news and screenshots, articles, everywhere.

they had the right idea with the screenshots and trailers on gamespot these show the game is awesome.

If you want to kill heroes off carry on with this save heroes crap and wipe all info about it off your "fan" websites.

Yeah that'll really save heroes.

As a final point, sure i dont want to play a buggy crap game either so i think it shouldnt be released until its ready but i think Nival and Ubisoft can decide this for themselves.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 30 Jan 2006, 15:53

@ Corribus

LOL

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 30 Jan 2006, 15:56

Unlike what some people believe, the fan sites aren't Ubisofts marketing stands. They're in their full right to do what they wish with their content. Apparantly, they felt that if HeroesV is released at the end of March, it will be in such a state that the series will be dead anyway, and figured it better to go out with a bang than slowly fade away. And Ubisoft/Nival seems to have gone a long way towards saving heroes, but if they can't finish the job, all they've done so far will have been for naught.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

niteshade6
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby niteshade6 » 30 Jan 2006, 15:56

Hmm....I was all for the intitial petition and push to delay the game. But I think this is going too far, too fast. Especially given the news that H5 is already being delayed past what was originally announced, and no new release date has been set. You should at least give them some time to let you know what the new release date is before you engage in something like this. I've been a huge fan of this website for years, but I think this is just reactionary grandstanding.

Rhutobello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Rhutobello » 30 Jan 2006, 16:18

Gman wrote.

If you want to kill heroes off carry on with this save heroes crap and wipe all info about it off your "fan" websites.

Yeah that'll really save heroes.

Well of course you must be allowed to have an opinion.

I hope you allow other to have one too.

How many games have been pushed out befor they are finish and then tried saved with early pathes?

Did you like HoMM 4 when it was released? did you feel it lacked something? What about other games?

Shall we gamer agree with this way to do thing...shall we let the company make fool off us all? or aren't we a fool when we agree that a game must be released as early as possible and then slow be plastered together?

For the first time some gamers have taken a stand...let them....disagree with them...it's your right....start a site an promote an unfinish game...that is also your right.....but...with this.. maybe for once the gamingindustry start belive that the gamers not only are a bunch of fools....maybe there are some thinking persons among them!!

Return to “News”