News Supression Pact

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: News Supression Pact

Unread postby Echo_ » 29 Jan 2006, 23:20

Sir Charles wrote: Because it'll KILL the series. There's simply no doubt on that point.
This series will never be killed could you explain how you think it will be.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm going to buy the game regardless of what information is reported, what bugs the game has, or how long it takes for the game to come out. It doesn't matter to me.

I am probably one of the few people who loved heroes 4 and loved Might and Magic 9 so I have a different opinion than others but I think most people must ask themselves does it matter? Does it matter that the game coems out in March or July? Aren't you still going to buy the game anyway?
Overwhelming, Y-E-S.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Psychobabble » 29 Jan 2006, 23:41

I'm surprised so many are disappointed at this blackout. The only real power community leaders have is their front page, and this is a completely legitimate exercise of it. If the game has been delayed - and all we have are hints and rumours at this point - then all Ubisoft needs to do is confirm it and get a PR coup in the process.

If it is still planning to be being rushed out the door in an unfinished state then the fan sites are just shooting themselves in the foot if they sit by and do nothing. Not only do we personally want the game to be a quality product, but the health, unity and growth of the community that these sites oversee depends on it. We don't want to see the series die and this is the only actual power that the sites have... I can't see why they shouldn't use it.

Rhutobello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Rhutobello » 29 Jan 2006, 23:49

I must agree with what is done.

I belive that many of you "fans" that cry for early release of HoMM 5 will be the first to cry crap when it comes out.

In taking a stand the community show that they care for the game and not only talk about it. We will never be a 100% group anyway.

I look forward to a good HoMM 5! :)

jeff

News Supression Pact

Unread postby jeff » 30 Jan 2006, 00:03

@Echo "Because it'll KILL the series. There's simply no doubt on that point."

This series will never be killed could you explain how you think it will be.

Come on, it’s not too hard to imagine, I stated earlier whether you liked Heroes IV or not, it and its expansions were a marketing disappointment. M&M9 was a technical and marketing disappointment, so if Heroes V follows in those footsteps will it kill the franchise, maybe not. UBI would probably flood the market with crossover games like Dark Messiah and mindless shooters, but the TBS line would almost certainly end, and quite likely kill any hope of a M&M10. If they, like many people here, are really EAphobic, they won’t risk the impact on their bottom-line.
Edited on Sun, Jan 29 2006, 18:26 by jeff
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 30 Jan 2006, 00:29

Hm, I don't think anyone here is saying they disagree with the community taking a stand. I certainly think it's necessary considering the circumstances; however, as several wise individuals have pointed out, the fansites barely gave Ubisoft officials a chance to learn about the petition before the weekend hit. I would expect that by Monday, someone at Ubisoft with the power to respond to an issue of this magnitude will have had time to gather all of his (or her) facts and craft an appropriate response. With that said, perhaps this "blackout" was a bit premature, but hopefully it won't be interpreted in any way other fans registering their great concern over the future of a great series.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Vision » 30 Jan 2006, 01:58

@hahakocka:

AngelSpit, and Celestial Heavens, was one of the FIRST to join the SaveHeroes.Org site, and also one of the FIRST to agree to the news supression.

He is involved, so of course he agrees. As for differences in the Closed to Open beta, being a closed tester myself, I can say that we are not allowed to talk about that... NDA and all =(

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Jan 2006, 02:45

We decide to take a few days off to relax and enjoy ourselves and some people call us terrorists! :) It's probably the first time in the history of the community that fan sites agree on an issue; don't you think that's gotta mean something? And to answer the question, yes I strongly support the ongoing action. It was *very* difficult to read the comments that were posted here today but this is something we had to go through.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

jwatters
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby jwatters » 30 Jan 2006, 03:32

Longtime Heroes fan checking in here.

I started playing Heroes of Might and Magic back in high school, starting with version 1. It consumed my life for a while, and is still my favorite in the series. Even made a couple of maps that made the the HOMM2 Gold edition.

I slowly left computer games behind, in large part because I realized that nothing would ever top that "HOMM experience." Nonetheless, I've always kept up on the series over the years. I played HOMM IV the least of the four, but found the adventure map graphics to be the best thus far. The game was unfinished, but I still played some pretty incredible fan-made scenarios.

I've got to say, I am proud of the HOMM community right now. What other fanbase would show the unity and dedication to put something like this together? If HOMM IV hadn't come out too early, I might be able to understand the "too hasty on the freeze out" arguments. But we've seen what rushing a Heroes game will do to the final product. And we know what a polished HOMM game can be. There is something about the Heroes of Might and Magic experience that is truly special, and if the community can do something to protect it, than it ought to be done.

I am proud to say that I once helped end "the Forge idea", and hopefully you guys can help the Heroes series again with this news freeze.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 30 Jan 2006, 03:47

Best. First. Post. Evar. :)

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Vision » 30 Jan 2006, 04:03

It is good to see that, not only are we doing good in peoples eyes, but also that people who have been as touched by the series as we have agree.

JWatters, I would ask you to sign the petition at saveheroes.org, and come over to The Oracle League as well. I am sure that, once you get there, you will find some familiar faces.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 Jan 2006, 04:56

Veldrynus wrote:@ Corribus
Lol, your example is completely irrelevant. You're absolutely unable to get my point. Pathetic...
I get your point. I'm not stupid. You don't get mine. I understand the "No such thing as bad publicity" myth. I.e., even if it's something bad, it gets your name out there in the news and it's on everyone's mind. And somehow they magically forget the negative connotations that were associated with the publicity in the first place.

That's nonsense. There's such a thing as bad publicity, and it can kill a product. And it can seriously hurt a company. It happens all the time, and you're kidding yourself if you think it doesn't exist. Want a real example? Ever hear of Vioxx? Vioxx was a 2.5 BILLION dollar a year arthritis drug manufactured by the pharmaceutical giant, Merck. Some time ago it was discovered that users of Vioxx were at an increased risk of heart disease. Enter a enormous recall of the drug, thousands of lawsuits, implications of intentional wrongdoing, and you have what David Schmitten at Wharton calls "a crisis of financial confidence. Investors, business partners, suppliers, management, and employees - will they stick with the company?" Indeed, after Merck's decision to remove Vioxx from the market, their share prices dropped from $45.07 to $33 a share in one day and hovered there for quite some time. And this all from a company with a good reputation.

Now, please, I'd like for you to explain to me how that is good publicity.

What you don't seem to understand is that bad publicity is real and companies will avoid it. Yes there are times when something bad in the news might be "good publicity" because it gets the name out there, but implications that your computer game is going to be shipped well before it's playable and without several advertised features, published on the biggest online gaming news site in the world, is not good publicity. Publicity is all about consumer confidence. Bad publicity can shake that confidence and seriously disrupt business.

Ubisoft is in the delicate position right now of trying to attract people to a game whose last instalment was a basic disaster and coincided with its publishers filing of bankrupcy. There's a lot of uncertainty surrounding the future of the title and the last thing Ubisoft no doubt wants is anything that might scare people away from this already damaged brand name. Everything that Ubisoft has done so far has virtually been the definition of of caution and conservatism, not the least of which was the decision to completely DUMP every single thing that could be associated with H4. Much to the chagrin of many Heroes fans everywhere. But as I've tried to stress, this has all been about restoring consumer confidence in the brand name. That's what they've been doing all along and that's what they're going to try to do all the way through the publication of this game and (undoubtedly) forthcoming expansion packs.

With that in mind, this strategy will likely pay dividends, because Ubisoft is not likely to blithely ignore the united protests of all the major fan sites, especially when they generate bad publicity on major gaming sites. To do so would not be in character with all of their other actions surrounding the development of this game. What Angelspit and the other site administrators have done is capitalize on this tenuous position in a move that is likely to yield results and will likely get you a better game than if we all just sat around sucking our thumbs.

Frankly you should all be thanking him.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

News Supression Pact

Unread postby ByteBandit » 30 Jan 2006, 05:07

The HoMM3 Map Archives Web site is just getting off the ground, but you have our support on this in anyway Pol and I can help.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Vision » 30 Jan 2006, 05:15

uhm... Corribus... *them* ?

=) there are many people involved in this.... and it is EXTREMELY gratifying to see some notable people standing up for us.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Caradoc » 30 Jan 2006, 05:44

Gad! I take time out for one l'il game of Civ IV, and I've missed all this. Let's see if there's anything I can add..

First off, UbiSoft is not a monolithic entity. I betcha the developers and other hard core Heroes players there would like to have more time to spend on the game. Seems like software schedules are always too optimistic. A public outcry like this gives the company cover for slipping the schedule.

Second, they are bound to realize that we really are important to them. Since they are operating on essentially fixed costs, our purchases and the ones we influence could make the difference between profit and loss. And also one of the things that makes the product a good value in the eyes of many customers is the ongoing availability of user-made maps, which they need us to provide.

Finally, they must surely know that one reason Heroes IV flopped was that the initial reviews were so negative. To maintain the value of the franchise, they absolutely must get favorable reviews from the beginning. This movement will be the wake up call they need.

Now let's see if I can get GreenMod to work with SmartMap ...
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 30 Jan 2006, 06:03

In Re: to Corribus: Thank you Angelspit! :) :D
Image Image Image

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 Jan 2006, 06:36

Vision wrote:uhm... Corribus... *them* ?
Of course. You know what I meant. :-D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Orfinn » 30 Jan 2006, 06:46

Good to know they will take their time and finish the game, if they delay it more than 1 extra month for polishing the game and balance it to its fullest i'll be happy. A realese date in May is acceptable, still the longer time they take to fresh up the game the better.

Nice to see so many sign the pact to, we need all the allies we can get in this cause.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Veldrynus » 30 Jan 2006, 08:16

@ Corribus

The example with Vioxx, isn't really relevant here. Bad publicity in pharmaceutical business is FATAL. There are more risks involved if you buy a product wich has the bad reputation of threatening your health. A game isn't such a product. People are expecting that a game has flaws and bugs. It is a sad fact, but that's why patches were invented. Nobody risks anything by buying a game, wich isn't the case of a bad medicament.

In don't believe that Ubisoft will release a more flawed than average game. They can and will decide on their own, if they need to delay it. No need for this pathetic and childish fan protest.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

News Supression Pact

Unread postby Vision » 30 Jan 2006, 09:06

I was told you were just being sarcastic.

I realize now that they are totally wrong, and you have to resort to name calling and bashing. GET A LIFE Veld... you need one desperately.

sebutzu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

News Supression Pact

Unread postby sebutzu » 30 Jan 2006, 09:13

Keep up the good work! We all agree!

Return to “News”