Tribes of the East Boxshot

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 06 Aug 2007, 00:10

I agree with Jeff. It's just a box cover; it doesn't mean much.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 06 Aug 2007, 00:12

This is just criticism, like or not. I'm sure everyone here will get the game if they like it regardless of the box art.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Aug 2007, 00:20

Elvin wrote:This is just criticism, like or not. I'm sure everyone here will get the game if they like it regardless of the box art.
True :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 06 Aug 2007, 02:13

Yup, I'm going to buy it and I don't care what the cover looks like. But, it has been proven that game and book cover art do help sales. Sad, but true. What ever happened to that old advice not to judge a book (or game) by its cover?
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

raptorsnz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby raptorsnz » 06 Aug 2007, 04:08

I like it, looks really intense.

kingcranium14
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby kingcranium14 » 06 Aug 2007, 05:07

It's so much better than the HoF box! It's really good

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Tribes of the East Boxshot

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Aug 2007, 08:04

rdeford wrote:>What ever happened to that old advice not to judge a book (or game) by its cover?<
If people listened to it there'd be no need for the advice in the first place.

Veldrynus wrote:>They are trying.<
Much to the regret of my taste buds.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 06 Aug 2007, 10:14

'What ever happened to that old advice not to judge a book (or game) by its cover?'

Well there's also they belief that if something looks sloppy on the outside it's worse on the inside :D I'm not arguing as there is enough info out there to convince me that I will like it. Cover is not everything, advertising helps too :P
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 06 Aug 2007, 13:35

>It's so much better than the HoF box! It's really good

Really? They both show a mean looking brute with a big weapon in the foreground. They both show a castle in the background. That's about it as far as I can see. Yawn. There is so much more to HOMM than that! They are going to have to figure out a cover design that reflects the true nature of HOMM to get more than a yawn out of me.

NOTE TO Ubisoft: Sit sown and play the game you paid to get the rights to develop before you design the cover.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 06 Aug 2007, 13:40

rdeford wrote:What ever happened to that old advice not to judge a book (or game) by its cover?
That's so last century. Now it's don't judge a book/game by it's movie (think doom). Or by it's web trailer...

Anyway the box catches my attention and that's all it's supposed to do. Video game boxes are going to be extinct soon enough.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Aug 2007, 14:02

PhoenixReborn wrote:>Video game boxes are going to be extinct soon enough.<
They sure will if they keep sucking...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 06 Aug 2007, 15:03

Randomly selected, (but ordered) quotes:

>>>"This is just criticism, like or not."

So true, people just wants to jump at Ubi's neck.

>>>"Hummm... I guess the chess-like, strategic elements of HOMM that we all love don't make for an exciting cover. Neither does the resource management, or the thrill of discovering new items and territory, or following a good story line, it seems.""

Prize to whoever can put all of this in a cover without making it just a messy melange that hardly says anything. You have roughly 23x14cm. no more. Also:

>>>""Yup, I'm going to buy it and I don't care what the cover looks like. But, it has been proven that game and book cover art do help sales""

Who do you thing belong to those for wich box art helps increase sale, yep surely those savvy gamers who are looking for a deep gaming experience. ¿Wouldn't it be, on the other hand, those casual gamers -or those child-minded gamers-, who are just searching for a little excitement?

Edited on Mon, Aug 06 2007, 11:16 by Dragon Angel
Don't be fooled by the title -- Dragons can disguise as peasants, too

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 06 Aug 2007, 15:17

Because

>>>""I'm sure everyone here will get the game if they like it regardless of the box art.""

And not only us, any gamer who is interested in TBS and has done research in the web/magazines, and seems to like what is offered.

>>""Anyway the box catches my attention and that's all it's supposed to do""

Bingo

>>""I believe it looks nice. It wouldn't make much sense if they decided to not continue the art in the same line as the previous boxshots. It makes the game more recognisable aswell on the shelves imo""

Double bingo... that's the reason to mantain the castle - guy in the foreground schema. I think it is a simple, but ellegant schema, btw. You may not like it, but it is clear what it sells at a glance: Fantasy, Castles, Generals (Heroes) and War (Strategy). I am not saying other things are not important, as Story, Artifacts, Resources or any other, but ¿what would you say its the core?

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 06 Aug 2007, 15:17

Continue criticising if you want, anyway, but be sure not to be too fast:

>>>""Why is the blood always dripping down from the blunt side of the blade in these sort of pictures? ""

Maybe because the upper side is THE cutting edge (or both are). In any case, the upper side is: you only have to check how light reflects in the edge, till one point near the hilt, were it becomes blunt.

¬¬

The only think I am missing to hear is 3DO made better boxcovers... that would be the epitome of pointless criticisms.

(Anyway, I have to say the better cover is still H2:SW - and what did that boxe had: lion shield over black marble background: just that -- this managed to catch the eye, and to say "chivalry", "strategy"... then you get the box, read the read cover, if you like what you see, the game goes home - simple, no need to cramp mines, artifacts and whateveryouknow in the cover).

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 06 Aug 2007, 16:27

>>>"Hummm... I guess the chess-like, strategic elements of HOMM that we all love don't make for an exciting cover. Neither does the resource management, or the thrill of discovering new items and territory, or following a good story line, it seems.""

Prize to whoever can put all of this in a cover without making it just a messy melange that hardly says anything. You have roughly 23x14cm. no more.

-----------------------------------------------

A king standing over a table moving wooden figures around. A collection of these figures in the background has a key alloting one color of figure t "Rightful king" and the other to "Foul Usurper." To the left is a puzzle map subtitled "suspected locations of the Holy Grail." To the right is a bulletin board full of parchments of news. One is visible and reads "lumber shortage in Sorpigal."

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 06 Aug 2007, 20:07

To Darmani:

1. it doesn't show that the game is fantasy.

2. Lumber Shortage in Sorpigal? Resource shortages in certain cities ain't part of HOMM, I fear.

Off-topic: how is it possible to build buildings in two cities that are on opposite ends of the map with one terasury anyway?!
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 06 Aug 2007, 21:36

Besides, there's a lot to Read in that cover... I doubt many people will take the time to figure what these little letters say.

Good try however, I have to say.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 06 Aug 2007, 21:57

sorry -- double posting errors
Edited on Mon, Aug 06 2007, 18:03 by rdeford
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 06 Aug 2007, 21:59

sorry -- double posting correction
Edited on Mon, Aug 06 2007, 18:04 by rdeford
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 06 Aug 2007, 21:59

@ Darmani

Not bad at all. You are thinking along the lines I'm talking about, and you have some good ideas. Nitpicking aside, this concept could be developed into a great cover.

@ Dragon Angel

Yes, a few new folks who just want excitement will see this cover and buy the game. Too bad they will be disappointed when they have to wait their turn to play, actually think instead of hack and shoot at everything that moves, develop heroes with unique abilities and use them accordingly, study and understand a complex magic and might advancement system, and manage resources wisely to succeed.

That's my main problem with this cover; it's just not true to the spirit of HOMM and I would love to see it be so.

Oh, and yes savvy gamers who love TBS will buy the game even if it came in a plain brown wrapper because they read the reviews, love HOMM and so on. I salute them out of respect. It is because of their devotion to a great but not-so-popular genre that we may live to see HOMM6.

rdeford, Mage of Soquim

Edited on Mon, Aug 06 2007, 18:00 by rdeford
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

Ernest Holmes 1984

Return to “News”