Staff reduction at Nival

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2007, 12:13

Moragauth wrote:>Blizzard would in all likelihood feel the need to be creative, and do the whole thing over.<
Why? Most of the lore in their games is a copy of WH, they just excel at making games great regardless of the derivative story.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Akul » 16 Jul 2007, 12:47

To Zalmoxis:

Do not create words I (we) never told. You are the guys who feel H5 has failed, and many of you tought that H5 shall be a fabulous game. Now you spit on it. I can't but ask myself, how much of you shall spit on KB when it is out.

What's your purpose with fighting our enthusiasm

This is not about entusiasm, but about your illusions that KB shall be a better game then H5 and that KB tzeam should make H6. We still don't know how well they'll make KB. It could be one of best games ever, and it could be a great dissapointment.

graphics are better

If graphics weren't better, I would be suprised. At the end, KB is newer!

If you tought about concepts, then there is nothing to discuss since this is a matter of personal opinion.

story cannot be worse

I have seen many games, movies and books with worse stories.

and gameplay has enough chances to be better.

and enough to be worse.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 16 Jul 2007, 13:26

@Sauron: well, just so you know, I am not one of those guys who initially "tought that H5 shall be a fabulous game" and now spits on it.

Probably even Fabrice could confirm to you that from the very beginning I used to be a bit of a pain with all my posts, with almost half listing concerns based on his first interviews or other info released in the very beginning. The E3 video only managed to raise my hopes a bit, but everything that followed, ending with the final version of the game, did nothing else than confirm 90% of my initial fears.

The KB shots & videos speak for themselves. I see already what I won't like in the game: the lack of a H3/4 skill system. But I also see that all of the things I feared about H5 (and proved to be a fact) are not in KB, and that pleases me a lot. If also the gameplay will manage to top H5 (seriously... not such a difficult task), than that'll be a game really worth the money for me.

I know the gameplay could also be worse. But I say it can easily be better, as I see the striking difference between H3 and H5. After 8 years, H3 is still installed on my system. And I still play it like 30-40% of the time I dedicate to games. H5 on the other hand is a game I haven't touched since the day of its release (don't get me wrong, I've played it enough before that to know what it has to offer). It's not a bad game, but there are thousands of "not bad" games out there. It's just that from all the games on my shelf, it's maybe the one calling me the least to give it another try.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 16 Jul 2007, 14:30

Sauron hit it. Nothing to add, really.
ZZZzzzz....

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Moragauth » 16 Jul 2007, 14:56

"Why? Most of the lore in their games is a copy of WH, they just excel at making games great regardless of the derivative story."

True. Another good reason for them not to touch the series.

On the bright side, I doubt Nival's successor will be able to top their ability at creating horrific plots. :)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Jul 2007, 15:42

I seriously doubt Nival had any hand in the plot. I think all that, except the maps and animations, were made at Ubi (and they probably directed the animations as well).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Alamar » 16 Jul 2007, 16:25

@Sauron ... The quote "H5 is a good game by all standards" is not as solid a fact as is implied.

I would contend that it would be reasonable that H5 could be knocked for the AI, map editor, video optimizations and campaign cut-scenes [kills immersion].

I would also imagine that H4 fans are disappointed by heroes not fully being on the battle field, caravans are not in the basic game, etc.

There are plenty of things to knock H5 for. Enough so that by some very reasonable measures could make H5 a "so-so game" ... not "good".

FYI: My personal opinion of H5 has improved with the 1.5 patch. I was giving H5 a 3 of 10 [long AI turns made the game totally unplayable]. I've revised my opinion to something closer to a 6 of 10. Not good but not terrible either.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Cleanpea » 16 Jul 2007, 16:34

Zamolxis at 2007-07-16 09:26 wrote:

@Sauron: well, just so you know, I am not one of those guys who initially "tought that H5 shall be a fabulous game" and now spits on it.

Probably even Fabrice could confirm to you that from the very beginning I used to be a bit of a pain with all my posts

"Respect"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2007, 17:11

Moragauth wrote:>True. Another good reason for them not to touch the series.<
Because they might make a good game?! :|
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Jul 2007, 17:13

Because we don't need Warhammer of Might and Magic (even though that would be cool ) in addition to World of Warhammercraft.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Akul » 16 Jul 2007, 18:08

To Alamar:

I was talking about gameplay, concept and idea. Not about tehnical details. True, that is important, but the gameplay stays the same as long as there are no critical bugs.

And I am a H4 fan and still am not dissapointed in the game. I was dissapointed into H3 when I saw that it had no caravans, heroes on battlefields... Does that mean that H3 is a bad game? Certanly not to me.

To Zalmoxis:

Word "you" was not directed to you. There are many of people on net who were so enthusiastic and later spitted on the game.

And I don't need to ask Fabrice about you. You were famous back then :P
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2007, 19:36

Omega_Destroyer wrote:>Because we don't need Warhammer of Might and Magic (even though that would be cool ) in addition to World of Warhammercraft.<

Haven't you been paying attention to H5?! Blade Dancer, Hunter, druid with horns, the Inquisitor, dark elves with reptiles, vampires with rune swords? Remember why the Beta Treant got taken out?

Frankly the Orcs are the only ones without some glaring WH influence.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Jul 2007, 19:49

Now you've gone and jinxed it. They'll probably grow larger as they gain experience and mount skulls on their shoulder pads.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Justice » 16 Jul 2007, 19:53

"The team behind Kings Bounty The Legends game should be hired for HOMM6"

+3

Otherwise, Zamolxis said it all.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing!
-Edmund Burke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2007, 20:02

Don't know if WH Fantasy orcs do that anymore... maybe they'll get some sort of Waaagh! like ability that makes then better with larger numbers (what was their special again?)

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Moragauth » 16 Jul 2007, 20:08

"Because we don't need Warhammer of Might and Magic (even though that would be cool ) in addition to World of Warhammercraft."

That'd be your answer TT.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2007, 20:11

Except i already tore it to shreds... and OD should have known better.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Staff Reduction at Nival

Unread postby Cleanpea » 16 Jul 2007, 20:17

Somewhat off topic, this is a quote of Todd Howard, working in Bethesda Studios (on Fallout3):

"We are used to crazy nerds. They are very passionate in writing stuff on the net. The only thing we can do, is to treat what they say seriously, and treat the sequel in a series they love with respect."

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Jul 2007, 20:22

"We are used to crazy nerds. They are very passionate in writing stuff on the net. The only thing we can do, is to treat what they say seriously, and treat the sequel in a series they love with respect."
Hey, love with respect - that sounds good :D
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2007, 20:22

Damn, any more and you'll convince me that there are devs that care out there.

Return to “News”