Please Save Heroes V

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby wimfrits » 25 Jan 2006, 15:58

Ururam Tururam wrote:I am a closed betatester of heroes V and a open betates helper, so I have quite a knowledge of the game. And I have to say: THIS GAME HAS GOT A HUGE POTENTIAL! But it is easy to spoil it by releasing the game too early, unfinished, unpolished.
Agreed as well.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Jan 2006, 16:12

Copy cats. :mad: :tongue:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Jan 2006, 16:27

I am a closed betatester of heroes V and a open betates helper, so I have quite a knowledge of the game. And I have to say: THIS GAME HAS GOT A HUGE POTENTIAL! But it is easy to spoil it by releasing the game too early, unfinished, unpolished.

Agreed as well.

Nothing to add.
Only one thing, right now, this is not going to happen.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

rust888
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby rust888 » 25 Jan 2006, 18:04

push the launch date back. better to have a polished game at the end of the year, then a game filled with bugs early in the year.

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 25 Jan 2006, 18:06

Pol wrote:Only one thing, right now, this is not going to happen.
We are all seriously afraid it is. :(
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Labyrinth » 25 Jan 2006, 18:50

Signed.
What the #$*! do we know?

AlnOl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby AlnOl » 25 Jan 2006, 18:51

I prefer to wait and have a good game - I do not feel strongly about games who publishes patches because of lack of design... or worst, that the AI and stories are not challenging enough.

For Ubi, it is a make or break deal - the fans have high expectations, not on date but in content.
Food for thoughts

Mandor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Mandor » 25 Jan 2006, 18:53

Well, I'd like to see a playable game BOTH mulitiplayer and single player. Whenever they are ready to ship it.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Pitsu » 25 Jan 2006, 20:09

Me not in the list yet? O_O I want the game when it is ready not half-ready, whatever date it means.

hahakocka
Pixie
Pixie

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby hahakocka » 25 Jan 2006, 20:32

I don t signed up because I havent played the beta yet and I don t want that the release of the Heroes5 will be in May or June when my 2. exams semeter begin.

hahakocka
Pixie
Pixie

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby hahakocka » 25 Jan 2006, 20:32

:)

vissai
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby vissai » 25 Jan 2006, 20:39

I've waited for so long for this game, I can wait more. I want to wait more, to be honest. :)
Time and dragons fly.

Kilfire
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kilfire » 25 Jan 2006, 20:40

It's still not necessarily all doom and gloom:

If the game runs slowly, if does not necessarily mean that it hasn't been optimized yet, Troublesome parts of the beta may have been temporarily re-compiled in debug mode and/or left with diagnostics enabled. Either of these would increase the size and cut the speed of those components - but is very easily fixed before release. And if there are too many slow or bloated components, then sound will become choppy.

So the map movement AI behaves like it's been lobotomised. Well it probably has, literally. It may not have been properly disabled, but I'll hazard a guess that it's missing the latest scripts and is running on a default script from 12 months ago.

Fabrice's note on "Ghost Mode" being redesigned rather than tweaked is a bit worrying this close to release. I'll bet it gets postponed, not to appear until the first patch. Which wouldn't be too bad, leaves more time for other things. Plus most players will spend the first month honing their skills in single-player.

Finally, I fear that the senior execs at Ubi who control the release date will find it all too easy to ignore the petition. "Two months? Where did that figure come from? Thin air?" And it's easier for them to say when in this thread estimates of the extra time needed range from nothing through to one year.

Plus, this close to release, they may already be committed - CD factory timeslot reserved, advertising space purchased, marketing deals struck, etc. The execs may be saying "If there's a PR storm coming up, well we'll just have to grit our teeth and cross our fingers. And you [Nival] get that first patch out damn quick!"

The real problem is the releasing of the game (any game by any company) to coincide with the end of the financial year. It arouses suspicions in the customer. It provides a strong incentive to ignore any unfavourable progress report from the lower ranks, no matter how sensible it would be to reschedule.

At the moment, the emotional message in the petition is: "we love the game! we're worried! now do what we say! please!". If I were an exec in a tight spot faced with this, I'd be tempted to stand my ground, because (1) it undermines my authority - I'm the one who sets the release date, and (2) I reckon that if I give a good parental "NO", then many of the younger signatories will be dismayed, withdraw for a bit, then buy the game anyway when it comes out.

A better petition might say "You release when you want. But I'm going to wait until I read a review by someone I trust, and if the issues in the beta aren't fixed, then I won't buy until their all patched. Once they're all patched, then we'll know how much extra time Nival should have had." This avoids trying to take control, but still sends the right message - that Ubi will get its money when the game is ready, not when the accountants find it convenient.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Arzang » 25 Jan 2006, 20:58

I hate half-assed attempts but I haven't played the beta yet so I won't sign.

but I find no reason for the beta testers to exaggerate the issues so I'll probably sign tomorrow.

hahakocka
Pixie
Pixie

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby hahakocka » 25 Jan 2006, 20:58

And wow much you like thw new Heroes V songs and musiic I heard all of tehm and most of thenm were good I think to this new world Ashan and mixed with the H3 and H4 muscis.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 Jan 2006, 21:29

I'm signing, of course.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

kuguykuguy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby kuguykuguy » 25 Jan 2006, 21:34

signed

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Vision » 25 Jan 2006, 21:57

Oh, and because I dont think I did it prior...

/signed

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 Jan 2006, 22:26

Signed.

And this is why I kind of warned people when the open beta was first announced that their first impressions of the new game might be tainted by playing an incomplete build. I hope the final build is complete.

Falsted
Pixie
Pixie

Please Save Heroes V

Unread postby Falsted » 25 Jan 2006, 22:53

Like the rest of you:

Signed :)

Return to “News”