A Diary and Some Maps

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Angelspit » 20 Jun 2007, 19:30

Fabrice Cambounet's <a href="/http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... >developer diary</a> can be found on the official forum. It is a short internal Q&A (who on earth answers questions in a diary?) about the alternate upgrade concept, the main feature of the Tribes of the East expansion. But there is more:

<i>"There are many improvements to be expected ! We have been working extensively on the storytelling tools. The jump in quality is clear from H5 to Hammers of Fate, and you can expect the same kind of quality leap from HoF to Tribes of the East. This is critical to deliver a perfect ending for the story arc covering all of the campaign chapters started with the demon invasion. A small but interesting point for the fans is the addition of an adventure building that will allow the heroes to redistribute their skills. Another important point is of course the inclusion of the Orc faction, with their own special blood rage ability "</i>

In other news, old maps are also being redistribued. The contest winning maps can be found in <a href="/http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 8765">this thread</a>, courtesy of Acheval, and the original maps of both Heroes V and its expansion are hosted at <a href="/http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... shtml">Age of Heroes</a>. Now you can easily edit your favorite multiplayer map in time for your next hot seat session.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1182367824
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Crosis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Crosis » 20 Jun 2007, 21:14

That appears to confirm that the Renegades are the alternates for Haven. No real surprise there - it would have been strange to make a third set of upgrades and have only two available in town.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Jun 2007, 21:22

Mhm, it would also be unfair for the other towns. "Hey those haven guys have 3 different armadas, doh! Man thats unfair!"

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Jun 2007, 22:03

What, does Fabrice think he's in the Matrix or something?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 20 Jun 2007, 23:16

:lolu:

What makes you say that, Corribus? :)
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Jun 2007, 23:26

Redistributing skills seems a bit too much.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Jun 2007, 23:39

Actually one would think that if you build any renegade structure then all of the structures should be renegade. It would not make sense to be able to mix them. In fact it should probably be establish when the city is placed on the map.

The comment on there being an equal improvement moving from HOF to Tribes is encouraging. I know it's pointless but I hope part of that improvement will be in making a user friendly editor (my soapbox).
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Jun 2007, 23:46

jeff wrote:Actually one would think that if you build any renegade structure then all of the structures should be renegade. It would not make sense to be able to mix them. In fact it should probably be establish when the city is placed on the map.
That wouldn't be very equitable if you were stuck with only one upgrade option when the other factions were free to choose from both.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 21 Jun 2007, 00:11

jeff wrote:The comment on there being an equal improvement moving from HOF to Tribes is encouraging. I know it's pointless but I hope part of that improvement will be in making a user friendly editor (my soapbox).
I'll agree, the more friendly it is, the more maps there will be, so it would be a smart move to automate the troublesome things.

@Omega destroyer, I think he meant for all the factions, not just haven.

Generally, it does look like they're putting in more content (artifacts/creatures etc.) than they put into HoF.

Moragauth
Demon
Demon

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Moragauth » 21 Jun 2007, 01:07

I am actually happy with the skill redistribution thing. Certain heroes are totally useless because their skills are bad (e.g. Yrbeth).

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Akul » 21 Jun 2007, 08:12

Actually one would think that if you build any renegade structure then all of the structures should be renegade. It would not make sense to be able to mix them. In fact it should probably be establish when the city is placed on the map.

Why not? The renegades worship Elrath as well (even if demons created this fate).

The renegades are fanatics and represent Elraths violent side while the normal units represent his mercuful and chivalrious side. And if emperor wants it, he can command theme to work togetgher.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 Jun 2007, 08:30

jeff wrote:Actually one would think that if you build any renegade structure then all of the structures should be renegade. It would not make sense to be able to mix them. In fact it should probably be establish when the city is placed on the map.
Keep campaign-related restrictions out of my normal maps.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 21 Jun 2007, 08:52

Additionally those units are NOT renegades, remember? The renegades are in fact Freyda's regular units. What is called "renegades" now are troops that make use of new technology like Crossbowmen or have special anti-demon training. They are as loyal Haven troops as the initial ones, but Biara in Isabel's disguise made sure they are very fanatic and fanatism is a taint in itself: you can be just a tad to zealous.
ZZZzzzz....

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Jun 2007, 09:50

Agree with you JJ. You spoke the words for me.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 21 Jun 2007, 12:17

Sauron wrote:Actually one would think that if you build any renegade structure then all of the structures should be renegade. It would not make sense to be able to mix them. In fact it should probably be establish when the city is placed on the map.

Why not? The renegades worship Elrath as well (even if demons created this fate).

The renegades are fanatics and represent Elraths violent side while the normal units represent his mercuful and chivalrious side. And if emperor wants it, he can command theme to work togetgher.
The renegades don't worship Elrath unless some cannon juggling is done.

Zealots are no longer priests of Light/Elrath:
Once Priests of the Light, fanaticism has driven the Zealots to adopt new colors. Like the Priests they came from, however, their ranged magical attacks devastate the enemy while their aura of holy zeal encourages friendly units

Fallen Angels are no longer in Elrath's good grace:
The whims of the gods are not for us to understand. Why these angels have fallen from grace is anybody's guess. In learning the cruel lessons of their fall from grace, they have also learnt how to drain the life from their enemies.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 21 Jun 2007, 12:21

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Redistributing skills seems a bit too much.
I'm with you in general.

However, it is an adventure building and mapmakers don't have to put it on the map.

I'm sure it can be used to interesting effect on some single player maps.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 21 Jun 2007, 12:31

Some new pictures of TotE can be found here (for instance) :

http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000058743/

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Akul » 21 Jun 2007, 13:31

To JJ:

Renegades is just a nickname how to call the Darn New Alternative Red Haven Troops.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: A Diary and Some Maps

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 21 Jun 2007, 13:36

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:
Sauron wrote:Actually one would think that if you build any renegade structure then all of the structures should be renegade. It would not make sense to be able to mix them. In fact it should probably be establish when the city is placed on the map.

The renegades don't worship Elrath unless some cannon juggling is done.
A fanatic is someone who does what he thinks God would do -- if God were in possession of all the facts. :)

One of the first prerequisites of a false religion is going around claiming to be the true one; you don't advertise that you're false.

I would guess that the renegades still claim to worship Elrath and hotly deny that he's abandoned them.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 21 Jun 2007, 16:18

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Keep campaign-related restrictions out of my normal maps.
I am against any predeterimned restrictions without cause, but my thought here was the renegades chose to walk a different path, and as they are probably fanatics they would be intolerant of other factions. However, if people want the choice OK.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “News”