Pin-Up of the East

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 08 Jun 2007, 14:25

Corribus wrote:@Lucky Dragon
I'm not shocked or outraged, I just think that the truth expressed by what I bolded in your message sucks. It's a sneaky method that makes use of our weaknesses.
So you blame the advertisers for taking advantages of your weaknesses, rather than yourself for allowing yourself to be manipulated by your weaknesses? ALL advertisements capitalize on your weaknesses. They WANT you to buy a hamburger, so they target your weakness for junk food. They WANT you to buy a TV, so they target your weakness for new gadgets. They WANT you to buy video games, or go to watch a movie, so they target your weakness for sexual or violent images. They WANT you to buy a fancy bottle of whiskey, so they target your weakness for alcohol. They WANT you to go to disneyworld, so they target your weakness of your love of your children. They WANT you to subscribe to their online dating service, so they target your weakness for companionship. Do you get the point? Humans are rife with weaknesses, and that's the basis of our economy. We consume because we want things. So why single out sex as shameful one?
We consume all those things you enumerated because we are lead to believe that our desires are actually our needs. There is a difference between desire and need.

Sex isn't shameful, I never meant to imply that. It is a natural need. What I don't agree with is the way it's being used: IMO it's not honorable. Yes, I realize honor in marketing and advertising is something utopic, but that doesn't mean I can't have principles. I trust a good product can be successful without scantily clad persons advertising it. For example, I have yet to see such a person promoting Civilization IV, and if I were to witness something like that, my opinion of the game would drop. But that won't happen, as Civ is a game that sells itself by its reputation. If a game or any other product is advertised by resorting to sexuality, it means something is wrong with it from the very start, it hasn't got anything better to show for it.

And I'll take that "you" in your post as having a generic meaning, even though I felt a bit uncomfortable reading it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Pin-Up of the East

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Jun 2007, 14:36

So far, I've seen shots taken at Nival, NWC, and the primal urges of men and women. 60 posts and no one has pointed a finger at the magazine?

I'm guessing that picture won't be the box art.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Pin-Up of the East

Unread postby Marzhin » 08 Jun 2007, 14:44

Yep, that's right. It's probably the magazine which asked Nival for a "sexy" picture for their cover in the first place.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 08 Jun 2007, 14:47

Corribus wrote:@Sir Charles
SirCharles wrote:“I love women and I love looking at beautiful women, but what Nival did here is simply unnecessary. It's turning a labor of love that NWC worked on for years into cheap trash. "
Yeah, I hate to bring this up, but NWC drew sketches of topless naga tanks as concept art for an H3 expansion pack, and then leaked them, so that argument doesn’t really hold water.
That naga tank was never even close to a final design. I spoke to Christian about it years ago and he even said it was a joke going around the office. The idea of a naga tank was serious, going topless wasn't. Neither was the antenna with the raccoon tail, or the "kitchy-kitchy-koo" on the stinger. Those were for the amusement of the staff, nothing else. They got leaked by an employee who was let go...not by current NWC employees. Sorry to burst your bubble. :O)

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with nudity. Even in a fantasy setting. I love Vallejo's work too. I'm just saying that it's not needed to promote a video game. I look at it in much the same way AS does I think. Sex sells. Yes, that's true. But there are some places that it's just not appropriate. His frosted flakes example is a valid one. I think it also applies to video games as well.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 14:56

@Ethric
"Doesn't "underhanded" mean dishonest, secretive or similar? Not quite what I meant.
I meant that there is less labour involed in slapping on a pinup as opposed to try to make an advertisement that actually speaks of the positive attributes of your product. Cheap in effort and creativity, and by that I guess indirectly cheap in money. And yes, also cheap in that it is directed at hormones and instincts as opposed to at the intellect.

Not that I look down upon all use of sexiness in advertisements, it depends on the product and the style. But this is just opinion."
So you mean “easy”. Ok, maybe it is, but I also argue that it’s also a better way of advertising, as I tried to explain. Sure an advertisement that describes your product nicely would be ideal, but the most important thing about an ad is getting someone to notice it. To do that, you have to cater to your demographic. What’s more, you have to be very efficient. Consumers have very short attention spans. You can’t have an advertisement with a two paragraph discussion about what your product is. You can’t even have an advertisement that tries to explain the product using pictures that take a lot of time and thought to discern. People don’t want to spend time doing ANYTHING. As an advertiser, your goal is capture the attention of potential consumers in a split second. Because a split second is probably all you have for a one page ad stuck in the middle of a gaming magazine filled with pretty much nothing else but advertisements for OTHER games. The average person, particularly the average teenaged boy, is not going to spend 10 minutes reading over all the 400 ads in a gaming magazine, so you as an advertiser don’t have the luxury of lovingly explaining every detail of your fine product. So what’s the best way to do that? Use an image that makes someone flipping through a magazine at the newsstand pause on your ad for more than a split second. BAM! Naked woman. “Whoa!” The brain says. “Hold it for a second, let me see that a little closer.” It’s involuntary. If you’re a male with normal hormones, you stop on that page. If you say you wouldn’t, you’re either lying or your gay. I’m sorry – it’s genetic. Your body and mind is built to reproduce, and sexual images capture our attention. And if you linger on that page for just three seconds, and see the brand name (and as I’ve said, everything is about brand names), then the advertiser did their job. Efficient, easy, low cost. Sounds like the recipe for successful business to me.

Remember also that most companies do not advertise their own products. They pay advertising companies to do it for them. Those companies may not know all the details about the product. Their job is to get the product name out there at any cost. The goal of all ads is not to tell you about the product. It’s to put the name of the product in your consciousness. Why do you think Coke advertises? It’s not like anyone out there doesn’t know what Coke is. Remember those ads with that supermodel (whatshername?) and Pepsi. What the hell did the supermodel have to do with Pepsi? For that matter, why advertise Pepsi at all? It’s to get the name floating. You associate it with a hot woman, so Pepsi must be cool. They’re not applying to your conscious mind. They’re applying to your SUBCONSCIOUS mind, that drives your actions without knowing it. There’s a lot of psychology involved and people focus their careers on this stuff. It’s a science.

In the case of this picture that we’re speaking of, it looks like the cover of a magazine. Pop a half-naked chick on the magazine cover, and teenaged boys are MUCH MORE LIKELY to pick up the magazine off the racks and look through it. More so than a bland screenshot of the game. That’s good advertising for your magazine. Your advertisers then pay more money to advertise in your magazine. You can criticize the sex-sells truth all you want, but it’s an established way to sell products. Blame society. Also note that the magazine looks to be in Russian. So for those who criticize the moral decision to put a naked woman on the cover of a magazine, be careful when you judge another society through the lens of your own. Besides, nobody here probably even knows if Nival had anything to do with that magazine cover. It might have been the magazine, or some random advertising company. Using this as a reason to say that Nival has trashed NWC’s beloved creation is just hogwash. (Sorry Ethric, that wasn’t directed at you – I just happened to think of it.)

@Lucky Dragon
"We consume all those things you enumerated because we are lead to believe that our desires are actually our needs. There is a difference between desire and need.

Sex isn't shameful, I never meant to imply that. It is a natural need. What I don't agree with is the way it's being used: IMO it's not honorable. Yes, I realize honor in marketing and advertising is something utopic, but that doesn't mean I can't have principles."
You can have whatever principles you want. But the fact is that most males are attracted to sexual images featuring women. And advertisers cater to what the majority of the demographic wants. And even so, what I don’t understand is: why is exploiting our sexual desires any worse than exploiting our desires for alcohol, violence, tobacco, entertainment, etc., etc. They are all desires. What’s the difference?
"I trust a good product can be successful without scantily clad persons advertising it. For example, I have yet to see such a person promoting Civilization IV, and if I were to witness something like that, my opinion of the game would drop. But that won't happen, as Civ is a game that sells itself by its reputation. If a game or any other product is advertised by resorting to sexuality, it means something is wrong with it from the very start, it hasn't got anything better to show for it. "
I quoted this separately for a reason. Civ is an interesting contrast to HoMM. As you yourself state, Civ has a strong reputation and pretty much sells itself. It’s also been produced by the same company for how many years now? As I’ve said repeatedly, HoMM no longer had the reputation of a strong brand name. It’s always been something of a niche product anyway, and after 3d0 tanked and the last MM was tepid to say the least, the brand name was pretty much destroyed. Couple that with the fact that fantasy-themed games (even a TBS like HoMM) can be geared towards a different demographic than those who play games like Civ, it is no surprise to me that you might see sexual images in the ads of HoMM5 but not Civ4. If Nival’s advertisers decided that the best way to attract new customers to the MM brand name was to go after the teenaged boy demographic, then sexual images is definitely one potentially effective marketing strategy.

Also again I urge you to distinguish between Nival and whatever the hired advertising company is. While Nival (well, Ubisoft actually) probably has the final say over advertisement content, most companies trust in the advertisers they hire to know what they are doing, unless the advertisements are totally off the wall or (after a time) unsuccessful. Same goes for Civ4. Someone at these respective advertiser companies spent a lot of time deciding what the best marketing strategy is for the respective games, based a lot on demographics and brand name recognition, and the decisions make sense to me.

@Sir Charles
"But there are some places that it's just not appropriate. His frosted flakes example is a valid one. I think it also applies to video games as well."
Also if I recall, MM2 (and Xeen) had several women-creatures with very revealing outfits. My point is that you paint Nival to be a bunch of sex-crazed maniacs and NWC as this perfect "decent" company, when it's just not the case.

Also, there are certainly places where it's probably not appropriate. Is it appropriate in a Russian gaming magazine? I don't know - maybe the Russians have different morals than you. I don't see a problem with it.
Last edited by Corribus on 08 Jun 2007, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 08 Jun 2007, 15:07

You can have whatever principles you want.
But that's exactly what I was doing: stating my principles. I never talk for others, so even if it is very true that "most males are attracted to sexual images featuring women", I don't care about that because I am not most males. I just stated what I believe and why.

Who said anything about exploiting sexual desires being worse than exploiting all those other things? They're all exploitation.

If I were to nitpick, I would say that sexual desire is different from desire for alcohol or tobacco, for example.
... and the decisions make sense to me.
From a practical point of view, they do to me too. But that doesn't mean I agree with the principle of it.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 15:13

@ Lucky Dragon
theLuckyDragon wrote:"But that's exactly what I was doing: stating my principles. I never talk for others, so even if it is very true that "most males are attracted to sexual images featuring women", I don't care about that because I am not most males. I just stated what I believe and why."
You are an independent person. You can choose NOT to buy the product based on the content of an ad. Offended by sexual imagery? Don't by the product. That's your choice.

I'm not stating my principles here. I'm telling you why it was done, and why it is a good marketing strategy. That's all. So basically, if you tell me "I don't believe companies should use sexual images to sell their products because it is distasteful or morally wrong," then that's fine. But if you're telling me that "I don't believe companies should use sexual images to sell their products because it doesn't work or isn't an efficient way," then you're wrong. It works, and that's why they do it.
"Who said anything about exploiting sexual desires being worse than exploiting all those other things? They're all exploitation."
Obviously you think it is. Do you find a problem with an ad showing a guy eating a McDonalds hamburger with a smile on his face?
"If I were to nitpick, I would say that sexual desire is different from desire for alcohol or tobacco, for example."
Why? Alcohol and tobacco, not to mention junk food, kill more people each year than sex does. (In fact, sex CREATES people each year, if you want to get technical. :) )
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 Jun 2007, 15:20

Corribus wrote: Remember also that most companies do not advertise their own products. They pay advertising companies to do it for them.
It was still Nival who created that particular creature in the first place, probably with the intention to have something sexy to show off like this.
As I’ve said repeatedly, HoMM no longer had the reputation of a strong brand name.
It's an ad for an expansion. If the reputation isn't that stellar, it's not because the game has been in limbo for some years by now...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 08 Jun 2007, 15:20

It works, and that's why they do it.
I was aware of the mechanics of the marketing strategy, thank you. So I didn't need the explanations that much. When I said "Advertising 101 sucks" I didn't mean it was inefficient, I meant I didn't agree with it.
Obviously you think it is. Do you find a problem with an ad showing a guy eating a McDonalds hamburger with a smile on his face?
Yes I do, actually, because I know that McDonald's food is horrible and expensive.

EDIT: What makes you think it's so "obvious"?
Why? Alcohol and tobacco, not to mention junk food, kill more people each year than sex does. (In fact, sex CREATES people each year, if you want to get technical. smile )
You just stated the difference yourself. Also, comparing a person's first cigar with that person's first sexual experience is like comparing pineapples and watermelons.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 15:29

theLuckyDragon wrote:You just stated the difference yourself. Also, comparing a person's first cigar with that person's first sexual experience is like comparing pineapples and watermelons.
What does that have to do with anything? Who said anything about first experience? So you think exploiting a person's sexual desires to sell a product that has a few computer-rendered scantily-clad women in it is worse than exploiting a person's desire for unhealthy, fattening food? :|

Even if I draw these out to their final conclusions and allow you that being continually exposed to sexual images desensitizes you to it and makes you more prone to commit rape or other sex crimes (a giant stretch), we KNOW that continually eating bad food leads to the number one killer in the United States: obesity and heart disease. So at the very least, even extrapolating the sex-image exploitation to an absurd conclusion, you'd have to agree that the exploitations are equally bad, and I'd submit that McDonald's peristant portrayal of happy young people eating hamburgers and french fries is far closer to criminal behavior than marginally-indecent sexual images showing up in a few gaming magazines or computer games.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 08 Jun 2007, 15:34

What does that have to do with anything?
I said "If I were to nitpick..."

And NO, I'm not saying it's worse. I already said in a previous post that "They're all exploitation".

Then I said "If I were to nitpick...": IF, but I am not.

You know, most of the time I mean exactly what I say. IF means IF for me.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 15:38

That doesn't really make much sense.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 08 Jun 2007, 15:43

What exactly doesn't make sense?

The fact that I state "They're all exploitation", thus exactly what you were trying to tell me, as I understood it from your posts, and then proceed to state something that is apparently in contradiction with the previous statement? Something that is a potential, but undeveloped, counterargument? (i.e. the "If I were to nitpick" part)

Please do tell me, I want to see what went wrong in the communication, because I have the distinct feeling we're talking about slightly different things.

P.S. I'll be back in a couple of hours.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 15:52

theLuckyDragon wrote:The fact that I state "They're all exploitation", thus exactly what you were trying to tell me, as I understood it from your posts, and then proceed to state something that is apparently in contradiction with the previous statement? Something that is a potential, but undeveloped, counterargument? (i.e. the "If I were to nitpick" part)
What doesn't make sense is you stating "If I were to nitpick, I would say X" and then when I ask why you would say X, you say, "I didn't say X! I just said that I would say X if I was going to nitpick." But saying you were going to say X if you were going to nitpick basically is saying X, or that you have an affinity for X, and so I wanted to know why you believe in X. It's like saying, "If I was going to get some icecream, I'd want chocolate chip." And then when I ask you why you want chocolate chip, you say, "I didn't say I wanted chocolate ship. I just said I would want chocoalte chip IF I was going to get icecream." But obviously you like chocolate chip icecream, otherwise you wouldn't have said you wanted it if you were going to get icecream.

And now I have a headache. :)

The point is that you obviously feel that exploiting sexual desire is worse than exploiting alcohol, tobacco, bad food or any other vice. Otherwise you wouldn't have added the nitpicking statement. That's fine for you to feel that way, btw. Obviously our society does feel that way. I want to know why, although I already have my own answer (on a society-scale) anyway. I want to know why YOU feel that way.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 Jun 2007, 16:06

There are many situations where the most effective means to an end are looked down upon by people, for various reasons. This is one such situation.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 16:22

Yes, that's fine, but nobody can tell me WHY. Why is it any worse than cigarette companies or fast food companies exploiting those desires to sell their products?? Or movie companies exploiting violence to sell their products? What is so special(ly wrong) about sex in mainstream media? And please don't give me another, "I have nothing against nudity/sex, but..." response. Obviously you do. You put two ad images side by side in a magazine: one showing a mild act of violence and one showing a scantily clad woman. The former is nonobjectionable and fair game and the latter you find offensive or cheap or underhanded. Why?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 Jun 2007, 18:03

And none of your examples are any worse than live-tv torture of cute furry animals! 8|

There's always something worse, doesn't mean anything but the absolutely most objectionable is ok.

Nobody can tell you why? I did, but guess you didn't like my reasons. Fair enough. For my part, your last arguments are way off. I don't have anything against sex and nudity, in fact I simply love it. BUT! Yeah that's right. Is a scantily clad chick really the main feature of the latest H5 expansion, it's selling point? Fair enough if it is of course, if it's a game where your goal is to, say, get said chick laid or a career as a supermodel in whatever H5's world was called again (am not really a fan :p). If not, it's just inaccurate and misleading advertising. Some mild violence, now, would be more fitting to what actually goes in the game (I presume).
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 18:19

Ethric wrote:And none of your examples are any worse than live-tv torture of cute furry animals! 8|
The animals would be getting hurt, so that, as well as live rape or live killing a human, is a far cry from partially revealing attire.
There's always something worse, doesn't mean anything but the absolutely most objectionable is ok.
So then what's the boundary and how do you define it?

Addendum: Look, I'm not arguing that there is no boundary between what is tasteful and what is not, what is acceptible and what is not. I agree that there is a boundary. And I'm not even arguing that sexually explicit (whatever you define as explicit) images don't reside on the bad side of that boundary. What I'm asking is why several of you (and, indeed, our society as a whole) have put sex on one side of that boundary and violence, alcohol, tobacco, junk food and other things that are "harmful" on the other.
Nobody can tell you why? I did, but guess you didn't like my reasons. Fair enough. For my part, your last arguments are way off. I don't have anything against sex and nudity, in fact I simply love it. BUT! Yeah that's right. Is a scantily clad chick really the main feature of the latest H5 expansion, it's selling point? Fair enough if it is of course, if it's a game where your goal is to, say, get said chick laid or a career as a supermodel in whatever H5's world was called again (am not really a fan :p). If not, it's just inaccurate and misleading advertising. Some mild violence, now, would be more fitting to what actually goes in the game (I presume).
First, obviously Ethric you are not arguing from a moral standpoint, so what I said above doesn't really apply to you.

Second, I've already agreed that a scantily clad woman is not the main selling point of the game. You are operating under the assumption that advertisers are trying to (or should try to) convey information about the game. That's not the point of most advertisements. The whole point of the advertisement is NOT to focus on the main selling point of the game or to tell you what the game's about. It's to grab your attention and get the name out there, get people talking about it. And if the length of this thread is any indication, it's done a damn good job of it. None of this answers my question of "Why" anyway: I want to know what is the difference between sex and violence.

You speak as if this is some rare example of advertisers misleading people. It's not a rare example (and I don't even think it's really misleading). I brought up the example of Pepsi before, but sex in advertising is EVERYWHERE. You think sexy girls have anything to do with Beer? Yet probably about 90% of beer commercials feature sexy women. Why? The point of these beer commercials isn't to instruct you about beer, or why one beer is better than the others. It's ridiculous to sit here and criticize an advertiser for being misleading because they're not "telling you the main selling point of the product". Hot girls are in beer commericals because people who watch football or sports on TV might shut up for a second during the commercials if they see a hot girl come on the screen. Then in those split seconds while they're captivated, "COORS LIGHT" flashes on the screen. Everyone knows what COORS LIGHT is. So why the advertisement? To get you thinking about Coors Light. And it's not even misleading. I doubt most people who see beer commercials go out and buy beer because they think hot women are going to jump all over them if they do. It's just a way to grab your attention so you see the commercial. In your subconscious maybe you start to associate the act of drinking beer with fun and hot girls. There's nothing really misleading or underhanded about it.
Last edited by Corribus on 08 Jun 2007, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Pin-Up of the East

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 08 Jun 2007, 18:32

Kareeah Indaga wrote:"Other kids are going to bring pornograpic magazines to school and your kid will be curious."

Eh? What school did you send your kids to? :|

You think no kid in the school is going to bring pornographic magazines to school? That might be true if all of the kids are thoroughly searched every day. Otherwise, your kids are going to see it at school. A private religious school may not be quite as likely as a public school, but it is still likely to occur there. I went to a public school (I was exposed to porn without seeking it out) and sent my kids to a private school.

Do your kids ever go to Walmart? How about all those alluring pictures on the tabloids right by the checkout stands? Do they ever go to a convience store? How about the magazines on display that they can see the cover of (maybe behind the checkout counter) but can't buy.

You can't stop your kids from being exposed to sexy images unless you move way out in the country all by yourself or keep them locked in your house with no TV and no reading material.

The Bible does not say sex is wrong. Sex is God's idea and is meant to be enjoyed within the marriage relationship. Read the Song of Solomon and you will find some very explicit sexual references there. So you need to tear that book out of the Bible I guess if you don't want your kids to be exposed to anything sexual.

Unfortunately most parents are too scared to have "The Talk" with their kids and so all the kids learn about sex is from their peers, magazines, the internet, and what somebody else thinks they should know in a sex education class. If you want your kids to have the same values as you you have to talk to them about sex and tell them why you believe what you believe.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Jun 2007, 18:38

It's funny, GOW, sometimes I couldn't agree with you less, and sometimes I couldn't agree with you more. This is one of the latter.

Return to “News”