Tribes of the East: interview & new screens

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.

Moderators: Moderators, Celestial Heavens Staff

User avatar
MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith
Posts: 1277
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Citadel of Frosts

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby MistWeaver » May 31 2007, 11:43

@MuadDib:
>It must be a translation mistake, because its actually the other way round ;)

Im not really surprised to hear this. But no, its not a translation mistake. Full translation:
----
"As for terrain, yes, with a new faction, naturally, there will be a new terrain. Though, in the begining of development, our collegues from Ubisoft came to a conclusion that Orcs do not need personal terrain. We weren't agree with this, and proved our point, and so our designers, artists and programmers made a new terrain, specially for Orcs. "
----

And, as for me, Id rather beleve Nival, because its not the first time they have to prove to Ubi the point, which is good for H5.
Wasn't it Ubi idea to create RTS Heroes, and Nival insisted on TBS ?


Edited on Thu, May 31 2007, 07:51 by MistWeaver

User avatar
Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1204
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Montreuil, France
Contact:

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Marzhin » May 31 2007, 12:25

@ MistWeaver : "its not the first time they have to prove to Ubi the point"

Keep it mind it is not because they say it that it actually really happened... That applies to both Ubi and Nival of course.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

User avatar
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3316
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Jolly Joker » May 31 2007, 12:34

You see me a bit surprised. Didn't you complain about Nival basically having to be forced at swordpoint to change the battlefield to the 10x12 size instead leaving it at 8x10? Or about the laziness of Nival's artists not being able to deliver a female hero model and so on?

User avatar
MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith
Posts: 1277
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Citadel of Frosts

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby MistWeaver » May 31 2007, 12:48

> Didn't you complain about Nival basically having to be forced at
> swordpoint to change the battlefield to the 10x12 size instead
> leaving it at 8x10?
I didnt tell that ALL Nival decisions are good. Mostly they are bad, I think. But when it comes to money question, (making RTS because they sell out better, or dont make new terrain, because thats cheaper), Nival somehow is on the right side.

And Ubi didnt care about battlefield, before fans became exasperated.

> Or about the laziness of Nival's artists not being able to deliver a
> female hero model and so on?
I dont remeber myself complaining on lack of female hero models, but even so, laziness has nothing to do with it. Its all about managment and man-hours
Edited on Thu, May 31 2007, 08:58 by MistWeaver

User avatar
MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith
Posts: 1277
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Citadel of Frosts

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby MistWeaver » May 31 2007, 12:53

>Keep it mind it is not because they say it that it actually really >happened... That applies to both Ubi and Nival of course.

I dont think they would openly lie about Ubi wanting RTS (or RTS elements) in new Heroes (at the begining)

User avatar
Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1204
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Montreuil, France
Contact:

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Marzhin » May 31 2007, 13:13

I don't call "openly" doing interviews on russian-language-only sites. I believe Nival say a lot to their russian fans partly because they believe Ubi has no way to read it... The reader must decide himself if such information is truth or lie. Either way, Nival rejecting publicly the blame on the publisher is simply not a professional behaviour.
----------------------------

Might and Magic, baby !

User avatar
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3325
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Norway

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Orfinn » May 31 2007, 14:49

Nival vs Ubi jeeez i think they are just as bad or good both of them. But in this case I go for Nival, why shouldnt they be allowed to make a unique terrain? if thats true...shame on Fabrice here.

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Elvin » May 31 2007, 15:25

If it is so, agreed. Fabrice would be made to post that in any case and Nival's tone is usually of all the things they've done despite the hardships...
Hard to be sure but I still find Fabrice more credible.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 570
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby King Imp » May 31 2007, 15:35

MistWeaver wrote:I dont think they would openly lie about Ubi wanting RTS (or RTS elements) in new Heroes (at the begining)


Why not? According to Fabrice here, in not so many words, they just lied about it being Nival who convinced Ubi to add the new terrain.

I tend to lean slightly to Ubisoft's side, but frankly I don't think it bodes well for the series when the developer and the publisher are obviously not on the same page. This isn't the first time one side or the other has made claims that they had to force the other to go in a certain direction.


Oh, and I am loving the news of the combination artifacts returning, but not so happy about there being no more neutrals. So much for this mysterious Yeti ever making it into the game.

fjog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 8
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby fjog » May 31 2007, 16:09

Well, I for one am quite disappointed that both upgrades would be available at the same time! There would be a much deeper strategy if you were forced to choose one of the upgrades in your town.

Even if you conquered another town which had chosen other upgrades than you, you could just caravan them back and forth (if they introduce this, and not just for dwellings?) between your towns and change them to your preferred upgrade.

I really hate that middle way solution in which you can do both at once, it’s too simple.
Edited on Thu, May 31 2007, 12:10 by fjog

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 570
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby King Imp » May 31 2007, 16:20

I'm with you fjog. I was hoping it was going to be one or the other as well. It would definitely make for a more strategic playing experience. Plus, so what if you came across another similar town and they had different upgrades? You make due with what you have and adapt.

I just thought of something that I hope Ubival has as well. You know how when you click the Buy All button and it automatically tries to buy the upgraded units if you have the gold? Well, how will this work with two different upgrades now? Which will it try to buy? I can just see us trying this for the first time and getting messed up as it buys the units we didn't want. At least with an "Either/Or" situation like I was hoping, this wouldn't be an issue.

User avatar
Monteniger
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 78
Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Location: Karthal :P

Re: ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Monteniger » May 31 2007, 16:21

MistWeaver wrote:@MuadDib:

>It must be a translation mistake, because its actually the other way round ;)



Im not really surprised to hear this. But no, its not a translation mistake. Full translation:

----

"As for terrain, yes, with a new faction, naturally, there will be a new terrain. Though, in the begining of development, our collegues from Ubisoft came to a conclusion that Orcs do not need personal terrain. We weren't agree with this, and proved our point, and so our designers, artists and programmers made a new terrain, specially for Orcs. "

----



And, as for me, Id rather beleve Nival, because its not the first time they have to prove to Ubi the point, which is good for H5.

Wasn't it Ubi idea to create RTS Heroes, and Nival insisted on TBS ?




Edited on Thu, May 31 2007, 07:51 by MistWeaver


Good one... :D I'm with you...
Nival being from Russia needs to prove itself to the west and I believe that they are doing the best they can... Not that I like Nival either but it's Ubisofts responsibility to choose developer and deliver the game as best as possible...
If they made this new universe than there were some holes to fill...
Image

User avatar
Moragauth
Demon
Demon
Posts: 305
Joined: 22 May 2007

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Moragauth » May 31 2007, 17:27

"Thats concept art. Look at screenshots:
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1198/scoutte3.jpg
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6258/assassinea9.jpg

However that may be, Raja Rani still proves the point."

Because the scout has developed pecs? :P

User avatar
Grey Pilgrim
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 40
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Grey Pilgrim » May 31 2007, 18:32

The most disappointing item in the whole list is "no "direct IP" multiplayer game support."

User avatar
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3316
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Jolly Joker » May 31 2007, 19:05

King Imp wrote:I'm with you fjog. I was hoping it was going to be one or the other as well. It would definitely make for a more strategic playing experience. Plus, so what if you came across another similar town and they had different upgrades? You make due with what you have and adapt.



I just thought of something that I hope Ubival has as well. You know how when you click the Buy All button and it automatically tries to buy the upgraded units if you have the gold? Well, how will this work with two different upgrades now? Which will it try to buy? I can just see us trying this for the first time and getting messed up as it buys the units we didn't want. At least with an "Either/Or" situation like I was hoping, this wouldn't be an issue.


I think you make an error here. This is neither Disciples nor Heroes IV. The main thing to keep in mind is that you'll build most BASIC higher level buildings BEFORE the upgrades. This is different in Disciples, for example, or even in Heroes IV, because there are not so many builds and if you decide on one it has immediate consequences for your next build.

With the alternate upgrades as they are implemented now the strategy lies in PICKING 7 (or less) out of 14 now (or even 21 depending on game length). The BUILDING isn't the interesting point here. Think about it.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 570
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby King Imp » May 31 2007, 19:24

Jolly Joker wrote:I think you make an error here. This is neither Disciples nor Heroes IV. The main thing to keep in mind is that you'll build most BASIC higher level buildings BEFORE the upgrades. This is different in Disciples, for example, or even in Heroes IV, because there are not so many builds and if you decide on one it has immediate consequences for your next build.

With the alternate upgrades as they are implemented now the strategy lies in PICKING 7 (or less) out of 14 now (or even 21 depending on game length). The BUILDING isn't the interesting point here. Think about it.


I'm not sure I'm following you 100% correctly here. All I'm saying is why should it be cut and dry which units are available, no matter which town I capture.
Take Inferno for example. If I decided to go with the Familiar over the Quasit, the Horned Overseer over the Horned Leaper, the Firebreather over the Cerberi, the Succubus Mistress over the Succubus Temptress, the Hellmare over the Nightmare, the Pit Spawn over the Pit Lord, and the Arch Devil over the Arch Demon, than that's the choice I have made. If I capture another Inferno town and those same choices aren't available, then so be it. I will just have to create another army with the other units that I decided not to go with initially and make due.

Now, with both upgrades being available no matter what, there isn't as much strategy as you know beforehand that you will be able to get more of the same units no matter what.

And yes, I know that this isn't Disciples and you know what, to me that's a shame as their upgrade system is the one thing that I feel they did much better than any Heroes game to date.

User avatar
MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith
Posts: 1277
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Citadel of Frosts

Postby MistWeaver » May 31 2007, 19:33

IINM, JJ saying that you should forget about buildings, and just concentrate on what upgrade to choose against your (current) enemy.

User avatar
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 5475
Joined: 27 Aug 2006

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby Elvin » May 31 2007, 19:34

What I think is that it is still viable to prepare in a map with many players so gaining an advantage over someone initially does not mean you are stuck with that choice and a possible disadvantage later. In H4 some units were almost never built either due to building costs or just inferiority to the other. Now we'll get to use them all by changing between creeping and attacking different factions.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.

- Metathron

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 570
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

ToE: Interview & New Screens

Postby King Imp » May 31 2007, 19:36

Is there really much to think about now that you have the choice of both? To me there isn't. I'm going out with a stack each of both Tier 7 units, a stack each of both Tier 6 units, a stack each of both Tier 4 or 5 units (depending on the faction) and then and only then will I probably have to make a decision on which unit will round out my 7th stack.

User avatar
Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6939
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Corner of your Eye

Postby Omega_Destroyer » May 31 2007, 19:38

So with one castle, you are looking at twice the amount of time to build up your forces.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.


Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests