Restructuration at Nival

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
jeff

Re: Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby jeff » 19 May 2007, 00:34

Cleanpea wrote:Hey jeff! Killing a HUGE bunch of monsters in old graphics is what M&M is all about;)
In part you are correct, the need to gain levels was critical, but that was not what it was all about. The story was just as important and the various side quests, though the story might have gotten lost at times with all of the bug squashing. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby Cleanpea » 19 May 2007, 01:43

For me, it was ALL about levelling up- And the monsters was the means to get that level-up. Missions and story are just excuses for getting the perfect customized characters. It takes a lot of effort to create the perfect party, able to kill ALL the monsters, even the INSANELY tough ones.

Most rpg's loose that focus. They are too complex. M&M is very simple, yet has many skills and paperdollstuff. Like Fallout 2, like Baldur's Gate, like MM6and7, and you know. Accessible and likeable:)

Anyway, Jolly Joker, you are correct. It is way to much righteous flaming here. With a high follow the lead-sheep factor

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 May 2007, 01:54

Meandor wrote: Details made MM a great series for me, it`s rare these days to see rpg with turn based combat or with "first person view for whole party". Such mere details, if missing, would ruin whole game for me. It could be great game on its own but as a MM game it would feel incomplete, missing something important. Nostalgia? Yes.
With this I agree completely, if any future MM lacks these it would be incomplete.

And nostalgic, so what, when gaming stops taking be back then that is when I give up gaming.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby Caradoc » 20 May 2007, 23:03

The idea of trainers is good--I always found it most strange to kill a Troll and suddenly become better at Lock Picking--but the M&M implementation was botched. The problem was having only one trainer and having to seek them all out. There should have been trainers for all the common skills in the main cities, and maybe some esoterics scattered around the countryside. It would have also been fun to discover new skills.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Return to “News”