Restructuration at Nival

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 17 May 2007, 19:27

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nival's demise is gonna be one big happy celebration!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 May 2007, 23:42

Meandor wrote:I hope that they won`t create MMX at all because it would suck no matter what. Yes it could be great game on it`s own but as a M&M? Things which made M&M cool are outdated now so it would have no "spirit" for obvious reasons.
That is either the silliest or the most depressing thing I’ve read here in a long time. One could easily argue that what makes H-V far less than what it should have been was the over concentration on the graphics upgrade and not spending more time on game play and bug elimination. The same can be said of any MM in the future, if they concentrate on game play and story (they are RPGs after all) then with a modest upgrade to the graphics and game engine, it could be great. If however, they believe as so many of today’s mindless gamers believe that all you need is to run around killing monsters, and disregard what endeared the MMs and other great RPGs to their fans, that is great story and engaging game play (turned-based combat for me please) then it will suck.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby Caradoc » 17 May 2007, 23:56

Firaxis is a company that really knows how to treat its customers. (And I continue to say 'customers' instead of 'fans' in hopes that others will follow and it will eventually sink in with the developers.) There is lots of information flowing back and forth, and customer inputs are actively sought. But most impressive is that Civ IV was designed from the ground up to be accessible to modders, scenario makers, tournaments, etc. On one of the introductory menus, you can bring up a list of mods to choose from. On another is the update utility.

'Heroes' is such a great concept, I'm surprised another company has not come out with something similar, based on what Ubisoft's customers want but aren't getting. I, for one, could easily be enticed away.

(And, Hodgepodge, have I recently said how much I like reading your comments?)
Edited on Thu, May 17 2007, 16:57 by Caradoc
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 May 2007, 00:46

nice work vhilhu and AS, made me smile :)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 May 2007, 07:01

It' amazing how petty, childish, malicious and gloating some people can be - and with such an air of righteous indignation at that.
Would have been interesting to see them integrate the Forge into the game just for the heck of it and to alienate all the good and politically correct pure fantasy clan brothers and sisters, so they might earn themselves some honest, solid death threats instead of this pisswarm spite.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 May 2007, 07:15

*ouch*

looks like something touched a nerve there
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 May 2007, 07:15

Jolly Joker wrote:It' amazing how petty, childish, malicious and gloating some people can be - and with such an air of righteous indignation at that.
And you should know!

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby Cleanpea » 18 May 2007, 07:22

Hey jeff! Killing a HUGE bunch of monsters in old graphics is what M&M is all about;)

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 May 2007, 08:11

HodgePodge wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote:It' amazing how petty, childish, malicious and gloating some people can be - and with such an air of righteous indignation at that.
And you should know!
Should I? Nah, HP, not so. I may be an arrogant bastard, but I'm neither petty, nor childish, nor malicious nor gloating. That seems to be more the field of expertise, for example, of people who sign their hope-you-rot-in-hell posts with slogans of respect and love and peace.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 May 2007, 13:05

Jolly Joker wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:
And you should know!
Should I? Nah, HP, not so. I may be an arrogant bastard, but I'm neither petty, nor childish, nor malicious nor gloating. That seems to be more the field of expertise, for example, of people who sign their hope-you-rot-in-hell posts with slogans of respect and love and peace.
You know JJ, from the tone of your last two posts in just this thread alone, you have proven once and for all who is being the malicious one.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 May 2007, 14:41

Meandor wrote:Things which made M&M cool are outdated now so it would have no "spirit" for obvious reasons.
I'm curious: what do you mean by this remark?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 May 2007, 14:49

HodgePodge wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote:
HodgePodge wrote: And you should know!
You know JJ, from the tone of your last two posts in just this thread alone, you have proven once and for all who is being the malicious one.
If that implies you are the petty, childish and gloating one, what the hell, seems to be a fair deal. On second thought, though, technically I'm guilty only of being openly sarcastic in the face of unveiled bigoted hypocrisy.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 May 2007, 15:47

Jolly Joker wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote: Should I? Nah, HP, not so. I may be an arrogant bastard, but I'm neither petty, nor childish, nor malicious nor gloating. That seems to be more the field of expertise, for example, of people who sign their hope-you-rot-in-hell posts with slogans of respect and love and peace.
If that implies you are the petty, childish and gloating one, what the hell, seems to be a fair deal. On second thought, though, technically I'm guilty only of being openly sarcastic in the face of unveiled bigoted hypocrisy.
sarcastic? so, actually you are also against Nival? :|

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 May 2007, 15:57

Corribus wrote:
Meandor wrote:Things which made M&M cool are outdated now so it would have no "spirit" for obvious reasons.
I'm curious: what do you mean by this remark?
I get the feeling that some people suffer from nostalgia and are waiting for a video game to will help them relive their childhood dreams.

Edit: JJ and HP, please resolve your issues via PMs. Thank you.
Last edited by Angelspit on 18 May 2007, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2007, 16:10

Jolly Joker wrote:of people who sign their hope-you-rot-in-hell posts with slogans of respect and love and peace.
Boy, where have you been... everyone knows that is an abomination onto life which must be expunged. Druids = eco-terrorists.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 18 May 2007, 16:46

jeff wrote:The same can be said of any MM in the future, if they concentrate on game play and story (they are RPGs after all) then with a modest upgrade to the graphics and game engine, it could be great. If however, they believe as so many of today’s mindless gamers believe that all you need is to run around killing monsters, and disregard what endeared the MMs and other great RPGs to their fans, that is great story and engaging game play (turned-based combat for me please) then it will suck.
Cleanpea wrote:Hey jeff! Killing a HUGE bunch of monsters in old graphics is what M&M is all about;)
What he said :devious:
Unfortunately mainstream demands nice graphics and UbiSoft aims at mainstream, some parts of the game will sufer for that. And after story of H5/DM i can`t say that i expect anything interesting from them.
Angelspit wrote:I get the feeling that some people suffer from nostalgia and are waiting for a video game to will help them relive their childhood dreams.
Details made MM a great series for me, it`s rare these days to see rpg with turn based combat or with "first person view for whole party". Such mere details, if missing, would ruin whole game for me. It could be great game on its own but as a MM game it would feel incomplete, missing something important. Nostalgia? Yes.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 May 2007, 19:54

Angelspit wrote:
Edit: JJ and HP, please resolve your issues via PMs. Thank you.
Angelspit, my first post was aimed at "some" not HP specifically. I mean, don't you think that those who dish out freely should be able to take something once in a while?
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but doesn't the closing of the American office mean that some Americans will lose their jobs? As far as I'm concerned that's not a reason to party.
Of course, if McD and BurgerKing would have to close, now THAT would indeed be a reason to....
*puts a hand over his mouth and blushes*
Hypocrits all over the place. Can't even trust yourself in these times. :)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby Caradoc » 18 May 2007, 21:14

Personally, I found the M&M stories to be subpar. What I liked was the exploration and D&D style turn-based, multicharacter combat. I did not particularly like knocking on every door to see who could teach me Intermediate Crossbow Repair.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2007, 22:32

Caradoc wrote:I did not particularly like knocking on every door to see who could teach me Intermediate Crossbow Repair.

- Yes, who is it!
- Yo dude, i'm like and adventurer, and i'm like looking for someone with mad crossbow repair skillz.
- Can't you read hippie? No solicitors...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Restructuration at Nival

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 May 2007, 23:35

Caradoc wrote:… I did not particularly like knocking on every door to see who could teach me Intermediate Crossbow Repair.
Definetely one of the major improvements in Might & Magic 7 & 8 was the record of where the teachers were located; especially MM8 with the little markers on the maps.

Return to “News”