Can One Game Last a Lifetime?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 May 2007, 04:57

That's not the point.
The question isn't, what would you play if you were 2 months on an island. The question is, what game would you play if it had to last a lifetime. A lifetime would mean something like at least 2 decades, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.
And here the answer is that no single pc game would last me so long.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 May 2007, 06:05

well in that case I would probably (God forgive me :) ) agree with you JJ
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Queen Hera
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Queen Hera » 15 May 2007, 09:47

My choice would be either HOMM 3 (or 4) or a Might & Magic game. Since I've been playing these games over & over & over since the early 1990's I already feel like I've been playing them for a lifetime!!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 May 2007, 14:53

Jolly Joker wrote:A lifetime would mean something like at least 2 decades.
Always the optimist....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 May 2007, 14:56

Well, yes. We are talking about a pc lifetime here as well, aren't we? :)

ledge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ledge » 15 May 2007, 23:37

1 Game I doubt you could play without getting bored, and different games have been good at different stages.

Top games for longevity for me:

Dune 2

Starcraft

Most of the others I can think of are predominately mmorgs or online games.

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby archcorenth » 16 May 2007, 22:27

Dune 2? Why would you pick Dune 2 over Dune Emporer?

I wish they would make a harder, longer version of Dune 1

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 16 May 2007, 22:30

i wish they made "Minesweeper II: The Non-Euclidean Legacy Of The Minelords." no really, minesweeper owns.

ledge
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ledge » 17 May 2007, 01:58

Dune 2 because it was real time strategy game I remember enjoying, and lost a lot of sleep over. Dune Emporer never had the same appeal for me.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 May 2007, 14:42

Heroes II or III are the only games that could last me a lifetime, unless I had other people on the island with me in which case I would probably choose Bridge or Chess. Although long ago I swore to give up Bridge forever, as it was consuming my life.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 May 2007, 14:58

Did that with Bridge some time ago as well. You either play Bridge or you have spare time. I was fortunate enough that my standard partner felt the same way, so now we are content to play once a fortnight or so which hasn't been kind to our bidding understandings. On the other hand it has made both of us rather relaxed about things. We're playing strictly for fun nowadays.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 May 2007, 15:06

Jolly Joker wrote:Did that with Bridge some time ago as well. You either play Bridge or you have spare time. I was fortunate enough that my standard partner felt the same way, so now we are content to play once a fortnight or so which hasn't been kind to our bidding understandings. On the other hand it has made both of us rather relaxed about things. We're playing strictly for fun nowadays.
Well if I was stuck on an island, I guess it wouldn't matter... but for about two years I was addicted to online play, which was ironically a rather frustrating experience because my partner was always changing. It got to the point where I was playing 4-5 hours a day or more, even skipping classes to do so, so I just had to quit cold turkey. I have never played since, either on the PC or "live". Sometimes I have been tempted to do so, but I know that if I played even one game, I'd be right back in the middle of it again. I wish I could play a casual game every now and then because I do miss it, but, like an alcoholic, I have to abstain from my former vice permanently. :)

In fact, all this talk about it has given me the itch again. Damn. BE STRONG, CORRIBUS. :S
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 May 2007, 15:41

Bridge is that good? I have never shown much interest in that game because of its old lady game reputation (that coming from a former Chess tournament player...).

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 May 2007, 15:51

well, anything is better than blackjack. if you ask me, blackjack is the single numbest pupular card game ever. i dont get why people play it so much.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 May 2007, 15:54

Because it's a great way to lose money! :disagree:

As to a game that could last me a life time, either Heroes 3 WOG or Master of Orion 2 for me.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2007, 16:16

Addicted to card games?! you ppl are all crazy.

Card games are something you play during class in highschool, to pass the time faster.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 May 2007, 16:19

ThunderTitan wrote:Card games are something you play during class in highschool, to pass the time faster.
Absolutely. We don't need that much space to play Magic after all, thanks to some stacking between strategically-placed piles of books. Oh, the memories.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 May 2007, 16:27

Angelspit wrote:Bridge is that good? I have never shown much interest in that game because of its old lady game reputation (that coming from a former Chess tournament player...).
Well, yes. It's PRETTY good.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2007, 16:37

Angelspit wrote: Absolutely. We don't need that much space to play Magic after all, thanks to some stacking between strategically-placed piles of books. Oh, the memories.
Oh, we didn't so much hide as make a big circle in the back when we could. French class was the best, the teacher only bothered us when she needed to grade someone, and you had to replace them for a while. By the 12th grade i was so bored with card games they made me sick.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 May 2007, 16:39

Angelspit wrote:Bridge is that good? I have never shown much interest in that game because of its old lady game reputation (that coming from a former Chess tournament player...).
I've never really understood the old-lady reputation. I guess a lot of old ladies play it, but the game has just about everything: strategy, luck and contentious bidding. Its popularity is probably limited most by the fact that it requires 4 players, and you are best served by having a partner that you play with consistently. The game is all about bidding for contracts and the better you know your partner's bidding style and tendencies, the stronger your play will be. I guess my second favorite game would have to be Hearts, because it's much more accessible, and the rules are easier to learn, but Bridge is much deeper, strategically.

Return to “News”