Patch 1.5 Next Week

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 29 Apr 2007, 15:56

And there will be a 1.5 patch.

That means that after installing the game, we will have to instal 4 more different applications, to get the game to run decently. And that's still not counting the mods correcting their stupid Treants, Inquisitors & stuff. C'mon... :wall:

God, I hope Nival is not doing H6 as well, otherwise another thing I said once will become reality: the first HoMM game that we'll be able to enjoy without headaches, will be H7.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 29 Apr 2007, 16:01

To quote from a famous game introduction: "All things comes to an end"... eventually...
so I guess it's time to admit that the Heroes saga is approaching its end...
But hey... it was fun...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Apr 2007, 16:11

"And to all things comes a beginning."
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Apr 2007, 16:17

You don't really want to try and convince anyone that a game sucks because you have to apply more than one patch, or do you? This reminds me a abit of those who complain about Disciples 2 being awkward to install because it doesn't come on DVD but on several CDs you have to switch when installing.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Apr 2007, 16:28

If you need more then one patch to make it work decently it's not a good sign...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 29 Apr 2007, 16:44

Jolly Joker wrote:You don't really want to try and convince anyone that a game sucks because you have to apply more than one patch, or do you?
It proves lack of proffesionalism... and you really can't disagree with me...
"All things come to an end".
Let's hope the first will be true for Nival and the second for new heroes games...

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Apr 2007, 18:06

okrane wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote:You don't really want to try and convince anyone that a game sucks because you have to apply more than one patch, or do you?
It proves lack of proffesionalism... and you really can't disagree with me...
"All things come to an end".
Let's hope the first will be true for Nival and the second for new heroes games...
Yes, I can disagree with you and I do disagree with you. The end of the heroes saga? Because you have to apply a couple of patches instead of just one? :lolu:

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 29 Apr 2007, 18:14

This is great news. This patch has very cool features. But why it took them 3 months? :(

@JJ: For 1.4 you DON'T need the other patches... that means you can install it without 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 applied. Now, I don't know how 1.5 will be but I'm telling you there is NO way you'll need 1.41 installed (maybe only 1.4). That's because 1.41 has only the .exe file which will be replaced by 1.5 anyway.
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 29 Apr 2007, 19:21

Jolly Joker: You don't really want to try and convince anyone that a game sucks because you have to apply more than one patch, or do you?
I hope that was a reply to okrane's post and not mine. But he does have a point nevertheless. The purpose of a game is to entertain us. So whatever entertains us in that game, makes it successful, while everything that annoys/frustrates/bores us there, makes it suck. For busy people like me, when you have only 1 day free every couple of weeks, and you have to make a choice, what would you pick from the shelf: a game you just throw in the drive and it instals in 5 mins (all settings included), or Heroes5, wich takes 5 mins to instal (I'm not even going into the whole Securom thing), then 10-20 mins of downloading & installing patches, then 10-20 mins of downloading and applying some fan made mods, which fix some things they were told even before the release that should be fixes?

So everything matters at a game. Even the number of patches. It does not matter a lot, but saying it doesn't, it's like saying you shouldn't be bothered by bugs, or bad music, or whatever.

And it's not only that. When a developer is not able to create a patch which integrates the previous patches, one starts seriously doubting their technical knowledge in general. Makes one think the things that are actually working in the game are more a matter of luck, 'cause if they knew what they were doing, the game would have worked since the Open Beta.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Patch 1.5 Next Week

Unread postby asandir » 30 Apr 2007, 01:34

you know what I just realised? I have bothered to patch my game to 1.4, but since doing that I have played it once .... just once ....

I have installed both HII and III again in the same period and played them on many occasions (though not since FF XII arrived) .... so lets just say that I don't think there will be a 1.5 download anytime soon around here, the game for me provides not enough enjoyment to combat the annoyances
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Patch 1.5 Next Week

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Apr 2007, 02:56

Fabrice on 2.2: "The patch 1.5 is meant for Heroes 5. The next patch for HoF, which will be 2.2, is not scheduled yet - it will be done, but with no ETA at this time."
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 30 Apr 2007, 06:06

I can only repeat that you will have to patch the game to 1.41 before patching to 1.5.

@Zamolxis
I would agree with you if you had to install everything again each time you want to play. However, we are talking about a one-time job. So even if you did uninstall the game due to being, well, annoyed with let's say the game version 1.1 and would want to give it a look again under 1.5, you'd have to do it just once. Generally you don't install a game like Heroes 5 to play it 20 minutes and then leave it be. If you complain about things taking too long you have problems as well if
a) the install time of a game was long (big games)
b) you had one patch, but a really big one that took 1 hour to download and 10 minutes to install

In the end this would mean you'd only buy at least 2 year old reissues that would come already fully patched on CD - which is the clever thing to do anyway, especiall when you don't have that much time to play anyway.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 30 Apr 2007, 06:07

Translation: Expect the week TOTE comes out.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

2.1 patch

Unread postby csarmi » 30 Apr 2007, 07:40

Is there a 2.1 patch? If yes, where do I find it?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Apr 2007, 07:44

yes it is out, just search for it in Google

Ar.Pi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Ar.Pi » 30 Apr 2007, 17:57

I think they should release a 1.5 Full patch and upgrade patch from 1.41. More convenient.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 30 Apr 2007, 22:54

I agree with GOW.

I am just a hobby programmer knowing only a little BASIC and some C++, but not nearly enough to write code for a living. With the help of Pitsu's Scripting Guide, the official guides, and the questions and answers on this forum, I was able to learn h5 hof scripting in about two weeks of spare-time study and practice.

Regarding a menu-driven editor: IMO, there is just too much power and flexibility to the h5 hof scripting language to ever make a menu-driven editor that would allow you to come anywhere near what is possible with the existing editor. And, I am talking about the capability to actually be able to create a map that is truly a custom world with its own alternate laws of reality, interactive story, dynamic terrain, and custom capabilities for standard objects. There are custom maps out there already that illustrate my point.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 May 2007, 03:42

I'm just glad I was able to beat the original campaign before any major nerfing and that I was just able to beat Hammers of Fate.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 May 2007, 06:05

I think I did the whole campaign on 1.0 as well, then patched to 1.1 .... worked ok, if you were lucky enough to not be hit by the major bugs

Return to “News”