King´s Bounty Trailer and Shots

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Apr 2007, 18:00

<a href="/http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php ... playing</a> has a trailer and multiple screenshots for the upcoming King's Bounty remake, <i>The Legend</i> (formerly known as Battle Lord). The trailer shows what the game's engine is capable of, as well as a combat sequence halfway through the movie. Obviously, the game will draw comparisons to Heroes of Might and Magic V, although only time will tell if the adventure game style can please the strategists out there.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1177437618
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Guarderman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Guarderman » 24 Apr 2007, 18:56

looks cool

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 24 Apr 2007, 19:07

The graphics look nice, I really love the phoenix.

But it's right, it definitely is very similar to HoMM V.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 24 Apr 2007, 20:35

Oh my God! That was absolutely amazing!

Heroes is in serious trouble now. These graphics blow away anything Nival has given us so far.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 24 Apr 2007, 20:39

Like graphics matter that much to heroes fans

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 24 Apr 2007, 20:42

Which platform is the King's Bounty remake going to be for?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Apr 2007, 20:44

Someone need to see Disciples 3. Here: http://www.disciples3.ru/
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 24 Apr 2007, 20:47

Why would Heroes be in trouble? First of all, it is a completely different game than Heroes. Whereas Heroes is purely a turn-based strategy game, the new King's Bounty is more of a real time adventure game, with some turn based combat thrown into the mix. It should hardly be surprising that the graphics are better. The game is not due to be out till the end of the year, so technology has progressed some 1,5 years since Heroes V was released. By that time, the Heroes V series will have come to an end.

It is likely, however, that people who like the Heroes series will keep an eye on this title as well (as will I). They are not in direct competition (unless a gamer has a really small budget that limits him to one game per year or something like that).

And it is nice to see there are finally some signs of life for Disciples III. There had been remarkable little news regarding this game for the past months.
Edited on Tue, Apr 24 2007, 13:54 by Arveragus

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 24 Apr 2007, 20:50

Never mind my question above. I see that it's going to be for the PC platform. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: King´s Bounty Trailer and Shots

Unread postby King Imp » 24 Apr 2007, 21:09

Cleanpea wrote: Like graphics matter that much to heroes fans

It's definitely a deciding factor I take into account. Sure, it's not all about the graphics, but I will never play Heroes 1 or 2 again simply because to me they are awful, outdated, childish graphics.

Arveragus wrote: Why would Heroes be in trouble?

Okay, maybe not in trouble, but it would be hard for anyone to argue that Heroes looks better than this game. I was blown away by this trailer. I was not this impressed with all the Hereos videos leading up to it's release.
The graphics, the spells, the spellbook that Nival obviously was too dumb and/or lazy to realize how to create properly, the units, the world interaction. Everything I saw in this trailer blew away anything I've seen in Heroes to date. The only thing I might give Heroes 5 the edge on is the battlefield. I love a huge field to fight on and this one is slightly smaller than that.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: King´s Bounty Trailer and Shots

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Apr 2007, 21:29

Arveragus wrote:"There had been remarkable little news regarding this game for the past months."
Yeah, they were deciding what will go in the game and whatnot, with the new deadline and all, so they decided to keep quite until things were final.

"but I will never play Heroes 1 or 2 again simply because to me they are awful, outdated, childish graphics."
I wonder what you think of heraldry. And i just played H2 this evening, it's still great, look good too, something H5 and alot of other 3D games won't, because they rely mainly on the graphics wow factor and not the actual look of the game.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 24 Apr 2007, 21:40

I find it amusing how people claim that graphics are not important, yet the instant new screenshots are unveiled, a lot of people complain that this unit or that unit looks bad.

I thought the graphics weren't important.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Apr 2007, 22:02

The graphics are unimportant, but the art is.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 24 Apr 2007, 22:04

When I first heard about this game the other week I wrote that you cant beat the original. I apologise for those silly remarks, as that gameplay video looks great.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 24 Apr 2007, 23:11

King Imp: "Oh my God! That was absolutely amazing! Heroes is in serious trouble now. These graphics blow away anything Nival has given us so far."
- - - -
Some of the first screenshots Nival released blew me away as well, so for the moment these screenshots tell me just one thing: same as Heroes V, this game has the chance of becoming a really great game. Whether they'll manage to take advantage of it, or blow it even more than Nival... it's too soon to tell.

For now, I'll just settle with enjoying the screenshots and comment what can be commented just based on them, shot by shot: ;)

1. Apparently (!) we'll have just 5 creatures in the army. It could be interesting if done right, but it's risky. / I love the shrine, the magic mushrooms and the cute little building on top of the knoll.

2. I'd prefer to fight monsters instead of bears on the map (I'm not very found of slaughtering RL animals in games). / If you notice the change in the semisphere in the lower left corner of the screen - you'll see we have moments of the day! If that will influence the skill of some creatures, it would be pretty cool. ;)

3. Hero screen: definitly better than H5. I doubt anyone would argue here. I hope though the guy is an unfortunate beta model. :p

4. Town screen (if that's what it is): nice in a way, but far from competing with H5. / I don't know if there was any in the original King's Bounty - but I'm sure some guys around will rejoice: there are D-cup Succubi in this one. :p (another 12-rated game I guess)

5. He, he. We have cows. :D

6. The hex-grid is not a surprise for most of us - and I'm happy they stick to it. The arena seems small, but probably appropriate for 5 stacks armies. The creatures are amazingly well done. The Succubus is sinfully sexy. No idea what that chest is doing on the battlefield, but looks interesting. ;)

7. I don't know what the spell in the 7th shot is, but is more impressive than anything I've seen so far in H5.

8. I think I see a Dragon Fly. Overall, a screenshot so beautiful, it's almost (sorry) orgasm to my eyes. My new desktop wallpaper. :)

9. Hi, hi. We also have Dwarves. And btw, I love the minimap (I noticed it earlier, but forgot to mention).

10. The Dragon & Phoenix are AWESOME!!! God, I hope they don't make me repeat myself too much. What am I saying? Actually I hope they do. :D And there it is that chest again... I'm really intrigued (in a good way). ;)

11. I've never been a fan of Necros, but I'm happy they're in - but only because I know otherwise some fellow gamers would really not like it (hope they'll never suffer as much as I suffered for the loss of the Swamp town in H4 & H5). About the shot itself: I really love the way they implemented the "battlefield" at the gate of the castle: so realistic and strategically challenging. The Necro units are all ok, with the Ghost particularly cool (reminds me a bit of H2).

12. See the bridge - notice the pillars, and the crow on top of one of them. How cool is everything, down to the last detail. Like the remaining skeleton of maybe a brave knight - who once took the same quest but failed - now lying there at the bottom of a (long ago) burned tree.

13. Gotta love that mist down in the little valley. And then look in the background in the upper part of the picture, in what seems to be a cemetery or sth. Creepy & cool in the same time. Same goes for the statues.

14. I have to admit the Elven/Fortress units, while not bad, could suffer some improvements. The Sprite seems a bit too big, the Elf looks kinda stiff, the Unicorn is almost like made of porcelain (I have the feeling it might break) and the Treant - while without a doubt 10... 50... could as well say 100 times better than in H5 - is still a bit funny looking. Maybe just a bad angle. I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of giant spiders in the game, but whatever...

15. Night time (3rd moment of the day noticed so far - already in a previous shot actually). Barbarians - 6th race so far - with what probably are: Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, Trolls and Hyenas (strange choice, but also other alignments seem to have some RL animal associated, in which case the Hyena makes sense here). The H4 fans will be happy to see the return of mixed adventure map stacks. :)

16. Very nice shot. This one actually reminds me of H5 a bit. Except for the castle, which is again a small disappointment if I am to compare (a bit too cartoonish or sth), but let's not be too picky.

17. Honestly I prefer the Green Dragon to the Black Dragon. That bear is kinda strange (even if just because of a spell). That chest, while initially intriguing, makes me wanna hope it won't be there every single battle. Or maybe in KB-TL the artefacts/chests we're trying to take from monsters, are right there on the battlefield. Could be cool. :)

18. Nice, but nothing special. Maybe a good moment to mention what probably everybody noticed from the first shot: we don't seem to have 7 types of resources anymore like in Heroes (or they are simply not shown - which would be quite unfortunate). We see Gold & Mana (most probably), but I'm not sure what that dragon icon is supposed to represent.

19. Is that a carnivour plant in the upper left corner?... And back to general comments: I also hope we're not stuck with one single hero. It won't be the end of the world if implemented right, but it's risky. Otherwise the interface simply needs improvements.

20. I'm getting bored with all these spiders. I guess Salventus, who was dreaming of an Instect town in H5, is not so bothered. ;p

21. Nice & interesting level up, however not having a skill system anywhere similar to HoMM3/4/5, might be quite painful for most of us.

22. Man... that bear again. I really don't feel like killing it. But gee... I'd really like to know what spell is written in that book (hope not one above my skill level, otherwise I'll reload and leave that poor bear be). :P Oh, and look at the rocks on the side. I feel like tying my horse to the tree, and climbing to see what's with that ladder. ;)

23. That carnivour plant again. Guarding what seems to be the entrance of an adventure cave. Or do I dare hope a full underground level? :)

24. The Phoenix in all its awesomeness. Was not 100% sure before, but now I am (hope I'm not hurting too many feelings): this is clearly better than any Phoenix a HoMM game ever saw.

25. Read the battle log: "Giant has caused 75 damage. One Skeleton archer has died" - wt*? Aside from that, the battle interface seems quite nice: access to the Menu, battle log, retreat (no surrender?), autocombat, wait (!!!), defend. I'm intrigued to know what's with those 3 empty slots between the spell book and the Wait button, and again what's with that dragon icon in the upper left corner (hero level? - seems too much).

26. The battle log confuses me. Is that a Shaman? I would have thought an elemental. Oh, and Ogres are confirmed. ;) And "horsemans"! :) (well, Ubival delighted us with worse English mistakes so I shouldn't say anything) :devious:

27. Ghost looks a bit funny in the daylight. Unicorn is more cute than impressive (and as opposed to Ghost, looks better in the daylight).

28. Ghosts awesome again (although I'm not 100% sure about that hair). Funny to have the Giant as part of the Dwarven faction. :p

As a final comment, I can see that - unlike Nival - the creators of this game really played and LOVED the Heroes games, and know what to give us. They are the company Ubi should have contracted for H5! But well... what's done it's done. Hope this game will end up as good as it looks, for its creators to be a strong competitor against Nival, when Ubi will make their choice for the H6 developer.

Oh, and Angelspit: please put that "King's Bounty - The Legend" forum section up as soon as possible. Some of those screenshots are so cool, and have so many details, that I feel like starting a full thread about them. Not to mention about all the other aspects of the game. B-)
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 25 Apr 2007, 04:52

Thanks for the screenshot comments Zam!

Apparantly my firewall was blocking them from showing up, so I didn't even know they were there. Now, I'm even more in love with this game. Q4 2007 can't come soon enough for me!

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 25 Apr 2007, 05:21

Gonna see the trailer later. But am I the only one who can't view the screenshots on that worthplaying site?? They just look like 'ad''ad''ad' and when I click on'em I get a javascript popup that's completely white!

Oh, firewall....

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 25 Apr 2007, 05:50

In regards to this Dragon icon that people are wondering about, I just ran the text from the game's official site through the translator. Here is what it said. Excuse the bad translation as it obviously didn't understand it all.

"Fury.

It is accumulated during the battles, when yunity are exchanged impacts - the amount of the obtained fury and its maximum value depends on the force of yunitov and on some skills of hero. Fury is spent on the call of the perfumes of fury and falls with the time, when hero is located on the map of adventures."

Oh, and I also noticed that the game is starting with 6 factions (Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Undead, and Demons) and there are 8 neutral units that I see (Dragon Fly, Pirate, Wolf, Cyclops, Barbarian, Snake, Spider, and Waspwort?) to start with. I don't see what army the Dragons or the Phoenix fit into, so I'm not sure if they are more neutrals or not.

I also see something very similar to how Disciples 2 worked in regards to your hero. It looks like you choose what type of hero you want and then the skills and abilities progress from there. You can be a Warrior (might), Paladin (combination of might and magic), or a Mage (magic).

Seems like there is some good info over on their site. If only we had someone who could translate it all for us (hint, hint).

Edited on Tue, Apr 24 2007, 23:00 by King Imp

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 25 Apr 2007, 06:49

It takes a while, but the info is worth it.

Go to the official site (http://www.kingsbounty.ru/) and place each link into the Babel Fish translator. Most of it is very clear to understand and gives a good insight as to how the game works.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Apr 2007, 07:04

I had a look at the trailer which isn't that much more revealing than the screenshots.
For all I know now the game could be pretty good, but it could suck as well since I don't know that much more about what is going on under the hood of the game than before. The upgrade system MIGHT be interesting (it looks like you MIGHT gain points in 3 different areas with abilities costing certain point combinations and ability gaining being a process like town-building, albeit not THAT complex - but it could be completely different as well) or not, too much guesswork still.
Spell animations look impressive, but frankly that's the only thing so far. Creature animations and animations in general look horrible at this point, but that may be under work. Armies seem to consist of 5 stacks with creatures always taking up one hex, but the battlefield is only 8x7, so it's basically the H 5 ratio, albeit on a smaller level. That means the scale has been toned down. An interesting point seems to be that there are differently formed battlefields.
Graphics are nothing special, I think. Because of the horrible animations everything looks cartoonish and, well, cuddly, which is deliberate, would be my guess. Depending on how the game plays it MIGHT create some atmosphere, but I'm not so sure about that - the heroes should look a bit more cartoonish then as well.
However, all graphics aspects are highly debatable. Bottom line is, there's still the question how the game plays. Due to smaller armies and battlefield it would seem that the game is meant to be faster paced. It may be simpler but that doesn't have to mean the game is more trivial. I hope this isn't just a soap bubble.

Edit: Had a look into the Disciples site and I'm not sure what to say. First impression isn't all that good. The game will start with only 3 races (which looks like the big addon money is planned which was bad with II already) and the main change will be, if the text is to be trusted, that units now can move about in combat and leaders do have more options - plus it's in 3d of course.
Screens leave me with a mixed impression. I find screen 06 ugly - and that's something like the main view or so, while others look good.
However, the Disciples system has some problems, the most notable one is the fact that unit upgrades are possible only with combat which means that a map must be constructed like a puzzle; you can't just place units on the map, you must have a chance to beat them as well, so if you want a player to beat strong monsters you have to make sure that there are enough smaller monsters to enable XP gains, that is, your army cannot get bigger, it can just get stronger which makes map-making something like a real art.
Anyway, it looks like a demo version is planned which is good.

Return to “News”