Target Cancels the $19.99 Orders

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 18 Jan 2006, 02:19

Houdo and Mamamia report <a href="/viewtopic.php?t=503&postdays=0&postorde ... art=15">in our forums</a> that Target have cancelled the $19.99 offer for Heroes of Might and Magic V. Their email said the following: <span style="font-style: italic;">"</span><span style="font-style: italic;" class="postbody">We regret to inform you that an error caused "Heroes of Might & Magic 5", which you ordered from the Target@Amazon.com store, to be displayed at an incorrect price. In accordance with our posted policies on pricing, we are unable to offer this item for the incorrectly posted price. Therefore, we have cancelled your order for this item.</span><span class="postbody"><span style="font-style: italic;">"</span>

Yes, it was too good to be true. Yet, we can wonder why it took them several weeks (and probably thousands of orders) to notice the error.

</span>

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1137550746
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

O, really... lol

Unread postby Echo_ » 18 Jan 2006, 03:34

I'm no doctor but if you didn't see that coming your are now certifiably blind and must take 3 pills of noimnotanidiot for the next 10 days,

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 18 Jan 2006, 04:15

That sucks! I thought I was getting it for a great deal!

Now I'm pissed!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 18 Jan 2006, 04:35

LOL! Wasn't that obvious people?? You can't be so gullible :p

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Target Cancels the $19.99 Orders

Unread postby gravyluvr » 18 Jan 2006, 05:28

Campaigner wrote:LOL! Wasn't that obvious people?? You can't be so gullible :p
Interesting though.... They took my order.

Let's start an Advanced Class action suit!

sisko
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sisko » 18 Jan 2006, 06:55

It says: 'In accordance with our posted policies on pricing'. So a class action suit woul probably be lost by you. Assuming they are right and it's in their polices

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 18 Jan 2006, 07:00

But. they set a price, they must sell it for the price. It's all about reputation. In Norway, if someone buys something to a wrong pricelabeling, it's the selling companys' fault. Not the buyer. And the company would loose credibility if customers can't trust it's listed prices. They can raise it, but not cansel orders, I mean. I remember a vacation trip to some country with tickets of 4000$ each, suddenly listed as 400$. Thirty lucky people got their tickets:) Why not in this case? I will probably buy this game later, nice price. That will be 19.99$...

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 18 Jan 2006, 08:08

Such giants like Amazon don't care about their reputation. People would buy there in any case.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

infael
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby infael » 18 Jan 2006, 14:23

I'm simply not buying the game from Amazon. Why would I? I'm just gonna buy it from EBgames.
Dell XPS 400, 2 Gb RAM
-Win 7
-all King's Bounty games; M&M 1-9, HOMM 1-6

kat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kat » 18 Jan 2006, 14:59

Ja, I knew when I placed the order that it would be cancelled... but here's to being optimistic nonetheless!!!

madcat_lives
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby madcat_lives » 18 Jan 2006, 15:18

I thought it would be a binding contract.
Let them think they are winning, when they find out they are losing, its too late.

lord_crusader
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lord_crusader » 18 Jan 2006, 21:22

HEHE LOL
yay :)

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 18 Jan 2006, 23:11

Unfortunatly it was only a binding contract if they actually took your money, not just your order (otherwise no valuable consideration has been given). Any class action would probably have to be based on misleading and deceptive conduct and would depend heavily on local laws.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Jan 2006, 01:39

I believe that in the U.S, Amazon could be charged with false advertising... But as PB correctly pointed out, that's only if the advertised price remains even after the point of sale. Meaning: if you buy the game for 49.90 and the advertised price remains at 19.90 even after that, you'd cave a good case.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Jan 2006, 04:10

Kalah wrote:I believe that in the U.S, Amazon could be charged with false advertising... .
Not really - false advertising only applies if the company deliberately lies (or exaggerates) about what a product does in order to get you to buy it, and you can then really only have a basis for a lawsuit if you actually bought it. For instance, if Amazon had said that the game also cooks french fries, and you could demonstrate that this claim is the reason you bought the game, and then you found out when you pop it in your computer that it does not, in point of fact, make french fries, then you might have a basis for a lawsuit.

Of course, if you actually bought a game thinking that it could make french fries for you, well, then you should be buying medication instead of computer games. :)

(EDIT: of course, if you had bought the game for 19.99 and they charged you 49.99 for it, then you'd have a basis for a complaint, but that's not what they did.)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Hotchbaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hotchbaby » 19 Jan 2006, 14:51

Why do you people think you have all these rights?

You're allowed to cancel your order, so are they. You can't demand the price stated becuase of a mistake, you might as well be expected to be sacked for your mistakes, or arrested for all the crimes you commit which nobody cares about (like crossing a zebra crossing on a bike in the UK)... Silly you

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 20 Jan 2006, 10:47

of course you will be acked for your mistakes. Eventually. And one faulty picelabeling won't ruin them. But good ol'fashion "stand up to what you're promising," is just a way of saying; "OK, so we made a mistake. But you can trust us." They are distributors and salesmen. Raising the price afterwards is OK. And letting people keep their orders is a really nice thing. Perhaps I would have bought the game from a nice company. even at the rate of 49.95$.

All this talk about lawsuit is frightening, though. Perhaps a paintball match would have been a better way to solve it. All the fans against Amazon employees.........

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 20 Jan 2006, 10:48

That is "sacked," not acked...

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Jan 2006, 11:06

There's also the Edit button for spelling mistakes, which not only is faster than writing an extra reply, also has the benefit that other people won't see that you made a mistake ;) (of course, this only applies if you use the RT interface).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 20 Jan 2006, 22:41

You are forgetting that we (US - er US as in United States) are in the land of both Lawyers and Hollywood.

Law suits are not at all uncommon AND bad publicity can kill a retailer. And whoever said, people will just buy from there anyway, should understand the true ripple effect that bad publicity can cause.

Audi lost millions after the 60 minutes article. Walmart is suffering similar losses right now due to "public opinion" about their labor practices, and AMAZON got a good bump thanks to bad press about other bookstores AND online retailer bad press from a Christmas season several years ago, so bad press can kill a giant.

Amazon and Target are more likely to honor the 19.99 than to not honor it.

A simple email can't hurt. As much as I've spent at Target over the last six months... I think I might even get this game free!

Return to “News”