Pocket Heroes Coming Soon

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Apr 2007, 14:17

According to the official Pocket Heroes <a href="/http://www.pocketheroes.org/">Web site</a>, the Heroes of Might and Magic copycat for PDA devices will be for sale on Monday, April 16. The game, which reuses artwork from the first three Heroes games, has modest system requirements: Windows Mobile 2003 or later, 5 MB free space, 6MB free memory, 240x320 touchscreen. Check out the lovely screenshots at the bottom of the <a href="/http://www.pocketheroes.org/main.php?page=info">About page</a>; you'll be looking for your old Heroes II CD in no time. The Web site doesn't contain a single reference to Ubisoft or to the Heroes of Might and Magic copyright, so we can wonder if charging money for this game is legal.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1176473827
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Apr 2007, 15:20

Till this time the game was free, but perhaps wasn't officialy marked like 1.0.

&

I would say that is illegal.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Apr 2007, 16:21

A lot of the artwork in those screenshots is taken directly from Heroes II. Trying to sell this game without permission of the copyright holders, i.e., Ubisoft, is illegal in the USA. It's probably illegal to buy it here too since a buyer would also be infringing on the copyright.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

MER
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MER » 13 Apr 2007, 17:25

"It's probably illegal to buy it here too since a buyer would also be infringing on the copyright"

well, you can always say you're just an ignorant player who has no idea of complicated legal stuff :P.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 13 Apr 2007, 18:10

Yeah, until the moment that ignorant player starts to make money with it.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 13 Apr 2007, 18:39

Am I the only one who doesn't care if these people will make money of it?

It seems interesting. Mixing graphics from Heroes II & III and using a mix of the spellsystems.

At first when I read that they were going with the Heroes III spellschools I became disappointed since that meant mightheroes will be superior just like in Heroes III....then I saw the mageguild screenshot with the lvl 3 spells being mass spells :-D So there's hope that the broken spellsystem of Heroes III doesn't dominate too much.

This picture brings back memories :)

Last edited by Campaigner on 15 Apr 2007, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 13 Apr 2007, 18:57

Campaigner wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't give a **** if these people will make money of it?
I don't care either. I am concerned about the safety of our readers. It would be a shame if someone got in trouble for buying the game, having learned of it through CH.

OTOH, the screenshots look promising. The developer has managed to squeeze a pretty efficient interface onto a very small screen. Time will tell if there's a good game behind those pretty pictures.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 13 Apr 2007, 19:26

Is a simple confession on a forum enough for that? I thought they had to prove it. And even if Ubi sees that someone has bought the game here, AngelSpit can delete the posts and logs of the users ISP and IP information :)

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Pocket Heroes Coming Soon

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 13 Apr 2007, 20:02

MER wrote:"It's probably illegal to buy it here too since a buyer would also be infringing on the copyright"

well, you can always say you're just an ignorant player who has no idea of complicated legal stuff :P.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Last edited by Omega_Destroyer on 13 Apr 2007, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 13 Apr 2007, 22:44

Pocket Heroes looks very good. It combines the best of Heroes II, III, and IV. Thank god they made the map diagonal instead of straight, that always bugged me after H4 came out.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Amgor II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Amgor II » 13 Apr 2007, 23:58

Pocket Heroes.. What kind of system is that?

Maybe Telephone?
In the world of the Dead, its nice to be alive,I think.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 14 Apr 2007, 00:17

Pocket PC :p

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 14 Apr 2007, 11:46

Will be Heroes for SmartPhone next? After all it is another version of Windows

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 14 Apr 2007, 18:51

What i like is that the game has got text boxes which Heroes 5 lacks.... beside the wonderful Heroes 2 graphics of course.

You were right, i'm installing Heroes 2 right now!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 14 Apr 2007, 20:16

The idea is great and it realy looks that they took the best of H2 and H3. I really really love the graphics. They should make a version of H5 for PC with H2 like graphics. Nothing else changed only graphics :)

I was playing Medieval heroes II on my PDA pc until now, but I will change to Heroes for sure :)

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malicen » 16 Apr 2007, 23:02

This looks nice. Makes me wish I have a PDA.
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

Tutankhamen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tutankhamen » 23 Apr 2007, 06:57

I'm sure the question about the legality of Pocket Heroes game is too complicated to describe it with one phrase (legal/illegal), i.e. 3DO is bankrupt, but Ubisoft hasn't bought the right to HoMM2 content. I've contacted with Ubisoft some months ago, and only thing they want is to close PocketHeroes project without any negotiation (there is no difference is it free, shareware or whatever, because they just don't want it). But project is still alive (during more than 2 years) and still nothing from Ubisoft or any other HoMM copyrights holder. So, enjoy the game.

Tutankhamen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tutankhamen » 23 Apr 2007, 07:06

P.S.> All money from selling Pocket Heroes game will be used for further development of our project. So, it's a kind of donation.

PPS> I'm one of PH developers, so, I can answer to any questions you want. And Thank You for understanding.
Edited on Mon, Apr 23 2007, 01:09 by Tutankhamen

Tutankhamen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tutankhamen » 27 Apr 2007, 04:24

Also, there are some things you need to know:

1. We've used the content only from HoMM2 game which is already Abandonware. In other words, this game isn't supported and can't be sold, i.e. this is just a "abandoned toy".

2. We're not trying to compete with copyrights holder or try to make a money on it. There is no such project at market.

3. Ubisoft will never support PocketPC version of HoMM game because it's unprofitable.

4. I've contacted with Ubisoft many times with proposals to legalize my project, but all information I've received from them are: "Don't do anything", "We are not interested in PDA's market because it's not our area", etc. But they never tries to touch with me and it's looks like they are absolutely not interested in it.

5. Ubisoft is HoMM brand holder only i.e. they have no relation to HoMM II game at all.

6. HoMM 5 is immoral project too, at least with respect to NWC KB, HoMM I - HoMM III games. Actually, Jon Van Caneghem is only man who can reproach me and my project, but he didn't.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 29 Apr 2007, 16:28

With more and more people figuring out half of the things that went wrong with H5 are actually because of Ubi, not all Nival, things like what I read above are only making Ubi less popular among its buyers. It's a kind of 'Ubi going against the fans' - as they don't seem to be willing to do anything to allow this project to reach our PDA's - official or unofficial.

The only thing that is still unclear to me, is whether or not Ubi owns the rights over the use of the content of any previous HoMM game (as I thought they did). If they don't, then I don't get what they can do to stop it. If they actually do, then I guess the only way this project could exist, would be sth somehow similar to WoG or Equilibris - a free application, however in this case with the possibility to make donations to the developing team (as they are not just improving over the existing, but rebuilding everything on a totally new platform, and I can imagine that takes more resources).

@PH team: Good luck, but be cautious. ;)
@Ubi: Take care you don't make a too unpopular move on the above, but try to show you care also about what we want.

Cheers!
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Return to “News”