Tribes of the East Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Silence
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Silence » 06 Apr 2007, 18:21

Angelspit wrote:The second Heroes of Might and Magic V expansion, <i>Tribes of the East</i>, will be released this Fall.
This fall? Is it before or after the patch 1.5 for the original game?

<b>*</b> New Orc Faction: First made famous in Dark Messiah of Might & Magic™, the brutal Orc faction now comes to the Heroes series.
The orc faction now comes to the heroes series? Great, but too bad the respect to older heroes games has yet to come to Ubi's offices.
Savage, fiercely proud and resolutely independent, the Orcs put the “might” in Might & Magic®. This faction’s troops include Orcs, Goblins, Cyclops and the famed Pao Kais.
Famed Pao Kais? Why not the famed Ahsa Kurat or even more famed Fakk Yotoo? OK, I got the Ubi's sense of humor.
<b>*</b> New Campaign: Experience the dramatic conclusion of the usurper Biara’s reign.

Dramatic conclusion? That means a row of most dramatic death animations of in-game monsters in a single cutscene?
Characters from Dark Messiah of Might & Magic will also appear to bring an unexpected twist to this multi-layered plot.
Yes, multi-layered. Unfortunately I am missing the stairs between the layers to see more than one. Or, actually in contrary, I only see the stair hall and see no actual life in all these layers.

<b>*</b> New Upgrade Level: Every creature in the Heroes V universe will get a an alternative upgrade level,
Sounds interesting. So does/did the ghost approach for multiplayer.
Extra Content: ....
Extra? That is "if we have time to complete it then... otherwise maybe in a later patch"?
Stand-alone Product:
Good if it stands all by itself and does not crash down under its own bugs.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 06 Apr 2007, 18:40

No one seems to want to play along over in the official forums, so I guess I'll ask here.

What kind of magic, if any, do you think these Barbarians will have?

I'm gonna go with Destructive and Summoning as their two schools of magic. As for how many levels in the Mage Guild, I'm thinking they are gonna go the Heroes 3 route again and limit it to the 3rd level.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 06 Apr 2007, 18:54

I take it that Pookey is the one with the wings. But is that a mini-phoenix flying over its head? And is that other one a witch doctor?

These sure don't look like Orcs as I know them. I expect a lawsuit from the Uruk Hai.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Tribes of the East Announced

Unread postby Veldrynus » 06 Apr 2007, 19:04

King Imp wrote:
Barbaric magic?

Nah, most likely they will use the old warcries cliche again.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 06 Apr 2007, 19:15

@Caradoc: Mini-Phoenix? You mean the morale sign?
Image Image Image

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 06 Apr 2007, 19:25

King Imp wrote:No one seems to want to play along over in the official forums, so I guess I'll ask here.

I'm gonna go with Destructive and Summoning as their two schools of magic. As for how many levels in the Mage Guild, I'm thinking they are gonna go the Heroes 3 route again and limit it to the 3rd level.
Destructive is a sure bet since they are after all, Barbaric Barbarians :p Both Light & Dark seem to be out of character for them since they seem to be neither on the good nor evil side. Summoning is left then. And from what I've seen of the new summoning spells, things sure look good :)

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 06 Apr 2007, 20:01

'Every creature in the Heroes V universe will get a an alternative upgrade level'

What alternate version can you have for a treant? Or a colossus?

Are these some sort of demon tainted version? (it does say about the Orcs fighting the demonic influence)

Hope they bring back the Medusa/Gorgon, Heroes V isn't the same without them
"Losing isn't learning to be lost, it's learning to know when you're lost"
Idlewild, 'The Modern Way Of Letting Go'

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Apr 2007, 20:35

aaelgr wrote:"What alternate version can you have for a treant? Or a colossus?"
Pink Titan & Welfare Treant of course.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 06 Apr 2007, 21:47

C'mon people. Finding alternative upgrades, with quite different abilities, is very easy on paper (pick an alignment and I'll give you a full list).

What actually matters is how they implement it. A cool name and special ability on paper, could be spoiled by how it will finally look in the game, while on the other hand people might become quite tolerant with a name which initially sounded a bit funny and ability telling them nothing, if its effect/animation would prove one of the coolest things in the game.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 06 Apr 2007, 22:10

Just lurked around the Official HV Forum…and it’s still as dead as ever. Bit surprising with the second expansion announced.
Image Image Image

NurDas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NurDas » 06 Apr 2007, 22:19

"Why not the famed Ahsa Kurat"

lol

p.s. inside joke of the Estonian people, I guess.
"Modernism is a totalitarian ideology."
- L. Krier

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 06 Apr 2007, 22:41

I am happy to see them release another expansion with a new faction, but I am concerned about this stand alone ability. If they release this as a full cost version, then I am unlikely to buy it as I will view this as just another way to gouge us; especially since they never released the version with Heroes III and IV complete here in the US or Canada. If on the other hand they release it costing the same as HOF then I may well purchase it.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Apr 2007, 00:20

I'm most excited about the new upgrade level. There's a pic of the new minotaur already in one of the new screenshots.
Infiltrator out.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 07 Apr 2007, 06:48

"What alternate version can you have for a treant? Or a colossus?"

Well, we could have the Treant Wife and the Stone Giant.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 07 Apr 2007, 11:23

There is a little bit of new information about the new expansion here.

Brief translation of the most important facts:
  • The orcs come from the Plains of Ranaar;
    The orcs do not acknowledge the use of magic and are able to disrupt enemy magic;
    The racial ability of the Orcs, battle rage, works by each creature having an adrenaline bar in battle. The bar fills after each successful or missed hit, the amount of adrenaline in their blood determines how large is the bonus added to hit points, attack, speed;
    One of the orc town's unique buildings is a slave market, where you can sell unneeded troops for resources;
    Alternative upgrades will bring 49 new creatures, for example instead of the traditional archmages, you will now be able to recruit battle mages, which can inflict higher damage when shooting, but are unable to cast any spells;
    There will be 3 campaigns;

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 07 Apr 2007, 11:31

If the orcs do not acknowledge the use of magic will this mean that orc heroes can not learn any magic skills? While it is true that in Heroes IV, barbarian cities did not have mage guilds (they had magic dampeners instead), barbarian heroes could choose magic skills upon level-up.

The slave market is the equivalent of Heroes III's freelancer's guild.

49 new upgrades is 7x7; this probably means that there is an alternative upgrade for every one of the seven basic creatures from the existing seven factions.

Three campaigns does not seem all that much. On the other hand, if there is only one new faction, at least one of the other two campaigns will likely be focussed on a faction with which we are already familiar (like the Haven in Hammers of Fate).

Kronos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kronos » 07 Apr 2007, 12:08

Hope that those alternative uprgrades will work like: green dragon to emerald dragon OR *****dragon...

Cuz if yes, it will have the major advantage of H4 which was(is) the unlinear gameplay ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Apr 2007, 12:22

Would they really replace 4 skill sets on the wheel?! I think not having mage guilds in the town would be enough.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 07 Apr 2007, 12:43

Okay, how about this way the Orcs' magic would work:
The four Magic skills would be the 4 skills on 2% hero probability plus there would be NO favored magic AND the mage guild could be smaller, like having a 3 2 2 1 1 shape. This would effectively disrupt Orc heroes as magic wielder. Heroes would be offered a magic skill rarely AND you'd be in trouble with getting the right spells IF your hero was offered a skill.
Of course it WOULD be possible to see an Orc then casting something like Mass Haste or Summon Phoenix, but it would be unlikely.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 07 Apr 2007, 14:43

Jolly Joker wrote:Of course it WOULD be possible to see an Orc then casting something like Mass Haste or Summon Phoenix, but it would be unlikely.
Mass Haste wouldn't be too rare, I think. The orcish heroes would go for light or dark magic (since there's less need for huge spellpower with those), dpending on what's in their guild (first two or three levels are easy to build). Unless they get lots of other stuff which their hero can do on his turn, of course.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “News”