Tribes of the East Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Apr 2007, 01:31

The savage and brutal Centaurs don't fit in an eastern barbarian town?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 06 Apr 2007, 01:45

Savage - maybe, but not necessarily
Brutal - I for one, don't portrait Centaurs as "brutal"
Eastern - ???
Barbarian - maybe, but I prefer when they are portraited in mythology as rough but noble warriors

This is just a matter of taste probably. IMHO the best place for them was the H3 Rampart. A more barbaric alignment would also be ok, but only as long as that doesn't mean an Orcish alignment.

I picture them in deep, sacred forests, together with the Unicorns, or the Treants. I can't picture them teaming up with low creatures like the Orcs (no offence AS). ;p
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 06 Apr 2007, 01:59

You're both wrong. Centaurs with Warlocks FTW. ;)
Image Image Image

Falsted
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Falsted » 06 Apr 2007, 02:10

"You're both wrong. Centaurs with Warlocks FTW. ;)"

Agreed :P

Honestly though, this looks promising right from the start, looking forward to Fall :)

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 06 Apr 2007, 02:13

Kareeah: <You're both wrong. Centaurs with Warlocks FTW.> ;)
I knew you (or sb else) would come up with that soon. :P

In respect for the oldest Heroes games, I guess they would fit there as well. But IMO, they just made the Warlock look cooler - which is nice if you think of the Warlock - but if you think of the Centaur, it's just not the best place for them.

I know Warlock suffered the most with H3, but the good part about it, was that H3 finally provided enough alignments and creature levels, to be able to place some creatures in a more suitable faction (maybe NWC were also trying to be a bit more in respect with mythology).

This is how the Centaur ended up in the forest with the Unicorns, and the Hydra finally in her natural moisty habitat, as the queen of the Swamps and of the lizard-like creatures (btw, that alignment was more of a race without even trying, than some of the HV are :p).
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

kingcranium14
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby kingcranium14 » 06 Apr 2007, 03:48

I'm a bit confused about the stand-alone thing. Does that it will include the dwarves and HoF or will we not be able to play them together? If not, then it's a really dumb idea.

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby archcorenth » 06 Apr 2007, 06:35

This sounds awesome a lot better than the stupid dwarf town. Why are people complaining?

Wraith
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wraith » 06 Apr 2007, 06:54

i think this means that theres no BEHOMONTH.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 06 Apr 2007, 06:54

archcorenth wrote:This sounds awesome a lot better than the stupid dwarf town. Why are people complaining?
Because there will be no nagas.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 06 Apr 2007, 07:03

Zamolxis wrote:Barbarian - maybe, but I prefer when they are portraited in mythology as rough but noble warriors
Remind me to remind you not to read greek mythology.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Tristan-IJB
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tristan-IJB » 06 Apr 2007, 07:31

ehhh no Behemoths.....

Anyway maybe there will be neutral Behemot

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 06 Apr 2007, 08:44

I'm pretty excited about the expansion. The new faction and new upgrades, if well implemented, could really make Heroes V the best game of the series... Of course Nival taught us to be careful, so I guess the final word is : wait and see.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 06 Apr 2007, 08:46

The centaur has lived in various towns over the Heroes series.

In Heroes I and II, he was a part of the Warlock town (and was an archer). In Heroes III, the centaur moved to the Rampart (the Rangers' town) and became a reasonably tough and fast melee creature. Finally, in Heroes IV, he moved to the Barbarians' town and became a ranged attacker that threw spears.

Centaurs are not rough and noble warriors in (Greek) mythology. They are anything but noble. With only two exceptions (namely Chiron, the centaur that raised Achilles and Pholus, a friend to Heracles), the centaurs are (just like the Amazons) an utterly uncivilized, evil, violent and despicable race. They are also very heavy drinkers. They are in fact the ultimate barbarians, i.e. completely uncivilized.

Therefore, it seems to me that they are very much at home with the way orcs are usually portrayed, as very warlike creatures.
Edited on Fri, Apr 06 2007, 02:48 by Arveragus

Volti
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Volti » 06 Apr 2007, 08:49

I hope The Elementalist castle will also appear in this new expansion,I like them much

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Tribes of the East Announced

Unread postby Veldrynus » 06 Apr 2007, 09:29

Arveragus wrote:They are also very heavy drinkers.
Yeah, they know how to enjoy life.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 06 Apr 2007, 09:39

This sounds awesome a lot better than the stupid dwarf town. Why are people complaining?
This new orc faction sucks horribly IMO :tsdown:
It's a lot worse and much more stupid even than the dwarf town
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Agnus Dei
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Agnus Dei » 06 Apr 2007, 09:48

No Nagas in H5 doesn't mean no Nagas at all. I'm still confident that they will appear, perhaps in H6. This is said to be the conclusion of "Biara's usurper reign", not the end of demons and their Sovereign. Did you really think that water dragons will be deprieved of their share of popularity.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 06 Apr 2007, 09:50

Kareeah Indaga wrote:First impression: LOL!!! :rofl: The fake expansion announcement was what, four days ago? You guys psychic, maybe? Lol. :D
Um, yes... :proudirule:

Sounds a great expansion to wait for. :) BTW, Acheval's post at Ubisoft forum hints that this will be the final expansion.
Final Chapter of the Heroes V Saga Takes a Bow for PC in Fall 2007
How can she know that?
No Nagas in H5 doesn't mean no Nagas at all. I'm still confident that they will appear, perhaps in H6.
I'm quite sure nagas won't appear anymore at all, unless in a new shape. They should have been already in the original game, Academy town but were replaced by rakshashas, which are using multiple blades as well. Now, how big is the chance that nagas that we know will return later? Personally, I don't care about it - there are more important things to worry about like a decent AI.
Last edited by arturchix on 06 Apr 2007, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 06 Apr 2007, 09:57

Agnus Dei wrote:No Nagas in H5 doesn't mean no Nagas at all. I'm still confident that they will appear, perhaps in H6.
Or H7.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 06 Apr 2007, 09:58

I'm not that keen on the orc faction because I fear it might be as bland and uninspired as the dwarf one, but what I am psyched about is the alternate upgrades for every unit (offered in towns/castles of course), which will bring back some of the tactical choice-making decisions and diversity of HoMM IV. I hope they deliver a polished product, they've sure taken their time.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Return to “News”