Tribes of the East Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 10 Apr 2007, 09:37

:rofl: I like the goblin idea.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 10 Apr 2007, 09:49

The cyclops was the barbarians' highest level unit in Heroes I and II, back in the day when the orcs were still orange. Since today's orcs are orange again, it only makes sense to have the cyclops at the barbarians' top dog once again.

Also, the idea that goblins are mere fodder, even to their own team, is not new. In the Warhammer fantasy setting, there is a catapult that uses goblins for ammunition, for example.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 10 Apr 2007, 10:29

I for one, am happy the Cyclop - old HoMM creature - is the big bad a** creature of the barbarians, and not that stupid Kung Pao (as I like to call it). :p
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 10 Apr 2007, 11:36

Yes, you should all be happy that there is no dragon-thingy on top tier. :D

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Tribes of the East Announced

Unread postby Boromir » 10 Apr 2007, 12:56

Zamolxis wrote:(...)Therefore, also the use of alternate upgrades, although a challange to the developers to come up with enough original ideas and to also balance them - if done right - can only add to the game.
100% agree on that. In fact, as I'm not very keen on the new faction (no Behemoths :(), the idea of alternate upgrades seems great. I only hope that those alternate upgrades will differ from the "original" to some meaningful extent, so that many new strategies may be developed. This includes not only the special abilities, but also the relation between price and effectiveness. If you are given a choice between a cheap unit and a unit which is 1.5 times stronger but 2 times more expensive, your choice may depend on the current situation in the game (lots of cash or lack of cash) and on the map (gold mines etc.). That's just a basic example - the alternate upgrades may extend the game in many ways.
Cheers,
Boromir
For every difficult question there is an easy answer: short, simple and wrong.

Starbatron
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Starbatron » 10 Apr 2007, 13:35

Aside from the possibilities of the alternatives, the thought that, if the "stand alone" part means we can now play all versions without switching discs is exciting...of course, given the track record, I believe that may be too much to hope for....

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 10 Apr 2007, 13:45

Dark Messiah's Cyclops looked a lot like a one-eyed Behemoth...

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 10 Apr 2007, 14:57

I never really liked the behemoth, so I'm fine without it. :)

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 10 Apr 2007, 16:59

The thing about the Cyclops being the Level 7 unit still doesn't make sense to me. I mean, Heroes and Dark Messiah take place in the same land, right? Well, if the Pao Kai in DM is considered the boss of all bosses, then how is it not not considered the top unit in this faction?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 10 Apr 2007, 17:59

If it's the "boss of all bosses," shouldn't it be the equivalent of an Azure Dragon?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Apr 2007, 19:17

The boss-of-all-bosses thing was just an assumption based on the final battle in Dark Messiah . The Cyclops makes sense too I guess.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 10 Apr 2007, 19:45

Just consider the Pao Kai at the end of DMoMM a mutated member of its speaces... :p
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 10 Apr 2007, 22:13

Marzhin wrote:Dark Messiah's Cyclops looked a lot like a one-eyed Behemoth...
I've never played DM, so I didn't know that - but that sounds good. At least, there's a chance for a "quasi-behemoth". ;)
Do you have any screenshot with the DM cyclops? I'd be grateful. ;)
Cheers,
Boromir

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Apr 2007, 22:47

Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Apr 2007, 01:25

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not (the alt upgrades) but I doubt it'll make the game worse, so I am all for it
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 11 Apr 2007, 09:03

Hmmm, indeed there is something of behemoth in this cyclops, but still not much - this one is more or less a humanoid, while the H3 behemoth used to walk in a bit different position and his arms were more than 2 times longer than legs. ;) But we shall see - this cyclops looks quite fine.
Cheers,
Boromir

Gnoll_Mage
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gnoll_Mage » 11 Apr 2007, 12:06

To an extent I agree with Ya5MieL in that another town would be better than alternative upgrades, but I'm certainly not against them. Nevertheless, I will be very impressed if there aren't any obvious choices of one upgrade over the other.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 11 Apr 2007, 12:13

I think the final boss of Dark Messiah is referred to as a "Soul Dragon" in Dark Messiah's soundtrack.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 11 Apr 2007, 12:40

I am excited by the expansion, but am worried about the 'standalone' 'feature' jeopardising the ability to play using orcs and dwarves simultaneously. Anybody knows the latest word on this issue?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Tribes of the East Announced

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 11 Apr 2007, 15:34

Roman wrote:I am excited by the expansion, but am worried about the 'standalone' 'feature' jeopardising the ability to play using orcs and dwarves simultaneously. Anybody knows the latest word on this issue?
Hopefully Ubi/Nival is not stupid enough to make orcs and dwarves not playable on the same map.

With the small number of maps they had better also make existing maps work with orcs (the ones with random towns.)

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Return to “News”