Tribes of the East Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 06 Apr 2007, 10:03

A lot of Heroes players were expecting the Naga to be included, because they are mentioned explicitly in the Heroes V mythology. They worship the dragon of water and presumably live in the city of Karthal. This city can be seen on the map that came with the collector's edition of Heroes V. It lies west of Al-Safir (capitol of the Silver Cities).

It would have been very nice indeed if the new expansion had included not one, but two new towns in order to complete the circle, but alas this seems not to be the case. Especially since it is mentioned that this expansion will mark a 'fitting end' to Heroes V.

Oakwarrior
Biclops
Biclops

Unread postby Oakwarrior » 06 Apr 2007, 10:05

Or M&M X....

>_>
ImageImage

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 06 Apr 2007, 10:32

Well... I don't know what's stopping them to add the Naga as a neutral creature, just like the Manticore. ;)
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Apr 2007, 11:14

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Zamolxis wrote:Barbarian - maybe, but I prefer when they are portraited in mythology as rough but noble warriors
Remind me to remind you not to read greek mythology.
Hey... I wanted to laugh at his lack of knowledge. :mad: :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

kingcranium14
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby kingcranium14 » 06 Apr 2007, 12:37

Fall 2007 - It'll probably be in November or December again, but if they make the game right -- this time -- it's fine with me.

And what about the creatures who didn't have an upgrade in the first place? Like the Phoenix. Do they get 2?
Edited on Fri, Apr 06 2007, 05:53 by kingcranium14

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 06 Apr 2007, 13:00

kingcranium : "And what about the creatures who didn't have an upgrade in the first place? Like the Phoenix. Do they get 2?"

As the Phoenix is considered a neutral, I think it will not have any upgrade. There's not even a building to buy it.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vokial » 06 Apr 2007, 13:19

I'll be very happy to see dwellings for the neutral creatures... but... I'll can't :P

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Tribes of the East Announced

Unread postby King Imp » 06 Apr 2007, 14:46

Marzhin wrote: As the Phoenix is considered a neutral, I think it will not have any upgrade. There's not even a building to buy it.

Amazingly enough though, there used to be. Nival in their infinite wisdom though took that out of the map editor like they did lots of other things. I mean Heaven forbid a player might want to put that on their map. Oh wait, I forgot. Unless it's how Nival thinks you should play the game, then map makers be damned.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 06 Apr 2007, 15:36

This towns creatures are the most ridicoulous so far....The guy with the mask and a instrument. Give him a staff! The Indian to the right looks like he don't want to be with those freaks and the guy with the pot of a head in chains looks absolutely ridicoulous!

Then we got the halfsized dragon....

I think this town looks like a bunch of freaks.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 06 Apr 2007, 15:55

My thoughts on the bullet-points before reading the thread (so I give my "pure" opinions ;) )
Angelspit wrote:The second Heroes of Might and Magic V expansion, <i>Tribes of the East</i>, will be released this Fall. Here is a list of features:

<b>*</b> New Orc Faction: First made famous in Dark Messiah of Might & Magic™, the brutal Orc faction now comes to the Heroes series. Savage, fiercely proud and resolutely independent, the Orcs put the “might” in Might & Magic®. This faction’s troops include Orcs, Goblins, Cyclops and the famed Pao Kais.
As many have commented since H5 was first released, a might faction is definitely needed. For those of us who haven't played DM, what is a Pao Kai?

<b>*</b> New Campaign: Experience the dramatic conclusion of the usurper Biara’s reign. Discovering the demonic influence that corrupts the Haven knights, the savage clans of the Orc will take up arms to eradicate the Inferno threat. Characters from Dark Messiah of Might & Magic will also appear to bring an unexpected twist to this multi-layered plot. In addition, Tribes of the East will feature 10 multiplayer and five single-player maps.
Fewer new stand-alone maps than the previous installments. I hope the campaign is a little longer (assuming they keep with 5 maps per campaign, at least 4 campaigns are warrented - but see my comments below about this)

<b>*</b> New Upgrade Level: Every creature in the Heroes V universe will get a an alternative upgrade level, increasing the total number of creatures in the Heroes of Might & Magic V line to over 170! These powerful new abilities are sure to become an integral part of your combat tactics.
I hope this becomes a "branched" upgrade system in the towns - either your first upgrade decides all the upgrades (not what I would like), or better have a choice at each creature for which upgrade (possibly with dependencies, so certain upgrades require certain other ones, but only a few such cases)

<b>*</b> Extra Content: Expand your arsenal and gameplay with new spells, artifacts, buildings and innovative features such as the combo-based Artifact Power Link and Battle Rage, the unique racial ability of the Orcs.
Artifact Power Link? Sounds like the synergies that had been bounced around in several places- where two artifacts, if both equipped, either support or even conflict with each-other. A few of these, and a few of the traditional-style combo-artifacts (artifacts that merge together) would be very nice.

<b>*</b> Stand-alone Product: In order to allow both fans and newcomers to enjoy this dramatic conclusion to the Heroes V experience, Tribes of the East will be a stand-alone product – no previous Heroes game installations will be required to play.
Two ways to go with this that I would accept:
1) have an expansion version and a stand-alone version (the former being lower-priced) or
2) have at least 7 campaigns. If I am going to pay full-price for an expansion, it better have full-price content as well.

I do recall that when 3D0 released SoD, it was stand-alone, at full price. Fortunately, Target was selling it at expansion price instead. :D I don't know if I would have paid full price for it.

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 06 Apr 2007, 16:11

I have already described below what a Pao Kai is. You can see one in a Dark Messiah screenshot here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... onfire.jpg

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 06 Apr 2007, 16:12

Wraith wrote:i think this means that theres no BEHOMONTH.
Perhaps as a neutral?
They added a few neutrals in HoF, so why not a few more here?

Of course, if they were doing so, they probably would have commented on it.

BTW, if you are going to swipe my avatar, at least keep the resolution (or create it yourself, it wasn't hard). This one looks too blurry!

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 06 Apr 2007, 17:04

im afraid the dreaded Snow Ape was their try at Behemoth :S

Zoltang
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zoltang » 06 Apr 2007, 17:17

Is it just me or does this new faction seem kinda stupid and useless?

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 06 Apr 2007, 17:25

Zoltang wrote:Is it just me or does this new faction seem kinda stupid and useless?
how can you say that? only 4 out of 6 look like total crap!

but terrain looks grand.

Wraith
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wraith » 06 Apr 2007, 17:43

this new faction looks perfect,only dissapointment was that there is no behomonths.Hint:when you go might and magic portal,in the one picture you see second upgrade of minotaur.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 06 Apr 2007, 17:56

Wraith wrote: Hint:when you go might and magic portal,in the one picture you see second upgrade of minotaur.

Why do you say that's different? It looks like the same Minotaur to me.

Arveragus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Arveragus » 06 Apr 2007, 17:57

Behemoth, not Behomonth.

See also Book of Job 40: 15-24.

Since the orcs' unit lineup has not been revealed yet, nobody knows whether they are in or not.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Apr 2007, 17:59

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:"For those of us who haven't played DM (or bothered to look at any screens), what is a Pao Kai?"

Lightning spitting Wyvern wannabe.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 06 Apr 2007, 18:02

Arveragus wrote:Since the orcs' unit lineup has not been revealed yet, nobody knows whether they are in or not.
You can see 6 units in one screenshot and the last 7th unit in one of the other screenshots. It is possible that one of the presented units is not from the new faction's lineup, but it is highly unlikely. So, 99% that there ar no Behemoths in the new faction. We can only hope Behemoth will appear as a neutral.
Cheers,
Boromir
For every difficult question there is an easy answer: short, simple and wrong.

Return to “News”