Mapmakers, Reclaim your Maps

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Duke Kirinyale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Duke Kirinyale » 23 Mar 2007, 22:31

> Didn't I get my three bucks for submitting my maps? So, if other fans submit

> anyone else's maps, they get money too? Finally, they could transfer this virtual

> money to real money, right?

If they submit it as their own map and noone notices the theft - yes, this is possible (wow, I've just imagined a bunch of idiots roaming through homm fansites in search of maps which they can steal and sell for about 50 cent each!)

And do you think it's possible with maps only? @ is virtual money for all spheres of HP's life. It can also be earned by playing in tourneys, for example. Isn't it possible that some cheater gets some @ for low or middle-placed results (who can possibly check everyone?) and then get a few bucks by converting them into real money?

And if the map is marked as "Unknown author" - no one gets the reward for it until the author is found.

BTW, what do you propose? To compare every new map with every single map (out of over 2000) already in the database to check if it's not a pirated remake of someone else's map? Or do you think that map admin remembers everything he's posted in years (together with the maps which was posted by his predecessor(s))?

About everything else... you've got an interesting sense of humor. I don't think there is much to comment.

Duke Kirinyale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Duke Kirinyale » 23 Mar 2007, 22:34

> 40+ maps a month??? there werent even 40 maps on the site.....

I think that was 40+ maps a month for ALL versions of HoMM. Not just H5.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 24 Mar 2007, 02:36

Well maybe the software at Heroes Portals needs to be rewritten.

For one thing, many of my H3 maps are unplayable without the supplementary files, so by not including them, you pretty much screw anyone who downloads them.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

nevermindspy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby nevermindspy » 24 Mar 2007, 08:10

hey logan ..

"Perhaps you'll be surprised to find out that I work in 012 (Kavey Zahav) technical support:)"

Ummz why would i be suprised and how do you know i have a connection to 012?

Anywho yes i assume u know i'm from israel too , I don't know that many homm fanatics from israel and u certainly sound like one:P I think we can talk about some stuff how do i contact you(got msn?)? If u don't wanna post here send me to hholland@012.net.il

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 24 Mar 2007, 11:00

hey logan ..

"Perhaps you'll be surprised to find out that I work in 012 (Kavey Zahav) technical support:)"

Ummz why would i be suprised and how do you know i have a connection to 012?

Anywho yes i assume u know i'm from israel too , I don't know that many homm fanatics from israel and u certainly sound like one:P I think we can talk about some stuff how do i contact you(got msn?)? If u don't wanna post here send me to hholland@012.net.il

Hi:) How did I find out? I looked for your maps here yesterday and found your e-mail address. I'll contact you. I have Live Messenger and will write you to hholland@012.net.il as well
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 24 Mar 2007, 11:45

I see that my three most recent maps were claimed by some guy grumpy@aol.com. (Seize The Throne, The Dancing Crusader, and Against All Odds.)

That is not my email address. My email address is grumpyoldwizard@yahoo.com. I also live in the US (in the great state of Texas :)), not the UK.

http://www.heroesportal.net/maps.php?us ... ng=english

Each of those maps is an XL map with tons of scripting and countless hours of playtesting both on my part and on the part of generous playtesters who assisted me.

I'll have to look and see if the same holds true for my other maps.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 24 Mar 2007, 12:12

2Grumpy:

Profile corrected. It was a very old one, perhaps created by my predecessor.

BTW two of your maps there have very positive fan comments. If you wish I can translate them for you:)

2all: If there are such mistakes in other profiles (country, language, etc.) write to logan@heroesportal.net or say here, I'll correct all.
Edited on Sat, Mar 24 2007, 05:23 by Logan Warbringer
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 24 Mar 2007, 23:30

@ Logan :

if you are updating maps, then update Fury of the Elements. Author Myythryyn, from Canada.

but i hope you have learned two things from this debate.

1)it may be just a game, but map makers take their creations seriously, and do not like having their maps posted "unknown" author. it takes alot of time and effort to make a map.

2)posting maps as "unknown author" is unnacceptable. it is your job, not the map makers, to ensure that the maps you recieve are presented properly and correctly on your site. relying on map makers to one day stumble upon their maps and update it for you is the wrong way of doing things.

it is very very easy to find out a maps author. the player who sent you a map obviously got it from somewhere, and since yours is the only site that posts "unknown authors", and every other site has the proper information, all you need to do is check maps for heroes, celestial heavens, elrath, or even just google search.

i really cant believe you do not have the time to check the small amount of unknown maps you recieve in a month.

in future please stop posting "unknown authors" and show the map makers the recognition they deserve

We took the time to make the map, you can take the time to find out the author.
Edited on Sat, Mar 24 2007, 16:34 by myythryyn

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 25 Mar 2007, 11:34

2Myythryyn:

Here is your updated map:

http://www.heroesportal.net/maps.php?se ... mode=graph

LaBoule
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LaBoule » 25 Mar 2007, 19:21

2Logan:

Logan wrote: “I am not Gorbik…”

Of course, not, but I red your promises and see that you program consists of minor fixes whereas all the Portal system needs to be reformed. I stated and state now that Portal’s system is vicious.

To begin with please answer one simple question:

How does it come that Portal has a mass of “unknown author” maps?

Personally I know only two LEGAL ways of getting maps and in either case you must have author’s name (nick) and his/her e-mail.

----------------------------------

Logan wrote: "Piracy" is when somebody posts a map and claims it's him…

No, the definition of Piracy is far wider. Piracy is when someone (Portal in this case) profits by intellectual property of others (authors) without any permission or contract. (Claming that it has more than 2000 maps, Portal attracts more people whom it can sell its posters, CDs and so on.)

-----------------------------------------------

Logan wrote: “Since HeroesPortal and Heroic Corner always competed for attendance, I sense that his behavior shows nothing but a use of rare opportunity to try and strike the rival site.”

First of all I never considered Portal as competitor (it is your imagination only). Secondly, according to your point of view I must have hostile relations with any Russian fan-site dedicated to Heroes of Might and Magic. But I have beautiful relations with Heroes League team (http://www.heroesleague.ru/) and always supported them because they do really nice work for Russian Heroes community.

P.S. I am not owner of Heroic Corner – all rights on content of HC reserved to Golden Telecom.

P.P.S Please be more polite – you are very offensive.

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 26 Mar 2007, 01:11

2LaBoule:

It was you who began all the offense. I understood I have a job to do with our maps and I'll do it, while other things you mention like "Portal system" or so do not concern me. I am not an owner of the project and the "Maps" section is my only field. Have other suggestions or questions that do NOT concern maps - write to Gorbik. Or our "number two" in HP hierarchy - new chief programmer Ayreon.

As long as I'll continue to be responsible for HP "Maps" section, I will not post "unknown" maps anymore. Although before this I have never thought that one day someone would treat temporary map placeholders as theft (!)

I am all but "vicious". I have NO benefit from anything I do at HeroesPortal, I am a true enthuziast and don't want to argue with you anymore. As we say here in Israel - "shalom". Warbringer
Edited on Mon, Mar 26 2007, 04:23 by Logan Warbringer

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 26 Mar 2007, 15:49

Any chance you two could take this elsewhere? It seems rather odd for the admins of two russian websites to argue with each other publicly on a third site.
Edited on Mon, Mar 26 2007, 08:49 by Sir Charles
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 26 Mar 2007, 16:16

You people are selling the maps, too?
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 27 Mar 2007, 15:20

Okay, THAT goes WAAAAAAAAY beyond just a sleazy practice. That's downright illegal. Sheesh!
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 27 Mar 2007, 16:33

Well, you can try to buy this CD and find out, that it contains not ALL there is, but about 200 best maps that active HP mapmakers did and submitted to Gorbik for placing them on this bonus CD. Now, it also contains the movie about HP foundation. Also, the price is symbolic. This CD is just a souvenir, like other things there. For example, t-shirt. Why on CH there is no CH t-shirts or souvenir CDs with bonus CH mapmakers' map pack?
Edited on Tue, Mar 27 2007, 09:40 by Logan Warbringer

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 27 Mar 2007, 20:48

Maybe because Angelspit doesn't run CH to make money, but rather because he enjoys it and because he's a fan of the game. Same goes for me. That's one of the prime reasons I haven't included any ads (even google ones) on my site, I don't want to give anyone the impression I'm doing it to make money.

If that CD only contains maps that the individual map-makers consented to put on it...then it's fine (a cheesy way to try to gouge money from fans, but legal). But if it's got un-authorized maps included, then it's illegal. And the wording on your site makes it seem like it's ALL of the maps...which would of course be illegal. Hopefully that's not the case. But no, I won't buy it to find out. There are already hundreds of GREAT fan-made maps out there...for free.

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 27 Mar 2007, 20:56

Dear friend, we don't run HeroesPortal to make money too. But you know, how the hosting is expensive. CH also changed hosting twice or more... and even an advertisement doesn't cover all the expenses. I live in Israel, far from Kiev, and once even I had to send some bucks to Gorbik via Western Union when the financial situation was devastating.

Besides, our fans asked themselves for creating such a shop. T-shirts are a very nice thing, and epic Orc statuettes are either. I think many would love to make symbolic donation to CH bying an Angelspit or Psychobabble statuettes:)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 27 Mar 2007, 21:28

An Angelspit statuette. Well there's an idea!
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Mar 2007, 01:29

**** yeah!

. . .

That's a weird thread.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Mar 2007, 03:37

this is just getting too odd, I wonder when we'll have our own shop AS?
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “News”