Heroes V no more mod-friendly since 2.1

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 12 Mar 2007, 10:06

The "issue" seems to be that you have to put all mods either as *.pak into the data folder or as *.h5m into the maps folder, no matter the number of expansions or whatever else there may be. Considering that, I just wondered what the fuss is all about.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 12 Mar 2007, 10:15

Well I'm working on a big mod/campaign for HoF which modifies many things in the game and I can tell you when you patch your game and discover your mod suddenly doesn't work anymore it is pissing. Quite a bit.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 12 Mar 2007, 10:33

You'd have to wait for 1.5 anyway, right? Because 1.5 will allow to create User Campaigns. As a sidenote you will be able to transfer up to 4 heroes then and transfer will be possible to ANY map (i.e., you'll be able to transfer a hero from map 1 to map 3 and 5 and another one from map 2 to 4 and then 5 and so on).

MuadDib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MuadDib » 12 Mar 2007, 10:51

There was no change in the exe code. Put all mods as *.pak into the data folder or as *.h5m into the maps folder.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 12 Mar 2007, 11:09

Thanks for taking time to post here Fabrice.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 12 Mar 2007, 12:02

This should have been in the news much more sooner... so Nival and Ubisoft cannot attempt to think we are ok with their behaviour...

... if they praise their game "modding friendly" there is no logic in pruning this feature (which is quite common and hence demandable in recent games)
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 12 Mar 2007, 13:51

With all due respect to Jolly Joker, I am in earnest, I am reading the posts and trying out the solutions. Concerning alx516's solution: when I put the mod into the data folder (not dataa1) it causes my hof to crash.

Concerning Maud Dib's solution: I did try changing the file to an .h5m. This did not crash my game, but neither did the game work. Maybe I'm updating it improperly.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 12 Mar 2007, 16:52

Um, if you put them in the Data folder and not the Dataa1 folder, doesn't that mean that they will only work if you run the original game and not HoF? How is that helping anyone?

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 12 Mar 2007, 17:36

stefan.urlus wrote:well, it is my sincere hope that they weren't thinking when they did this, if it was deliberate then it is even worse ....
Well, I for one believe it was deliberate! Nival has been at odds with the gaming community ever since I've had any dealings with them … and UbiSoft too … for allowing Nival to make Heroes 5 so user-unfriendly.

Besides the Mods not working with each new patch, just consider the Map Editor. Unless you have a programming background, the Map Editor is useless. No creating or editing of maps for Heroes 5, unless you have considerable knowledge of computer programming.

And what about that clumsy Cheat Menu? What a piece of sh*t! If someone does manage to figure out how to use the Editor and create a map, testing it out is very difficult because Nival made the Cheat Menu so user-unfriendly.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

alx516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alx516 » 12 Mar 2007, 18:00

Answers :

2 PhoenixReborn - when you use my mod or any other mod ?

Beacuse I've tried it 100 times and it NEVER crashed the game ... Maybe you should try a clean install ...

2 King Imp - The answer is NO ... Again 4 my mod only ... you can play HoF without a problem ... I do all the time ... RMG and all, tested with 2.1

alx516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alx516 » 12 Mar 2007, 18:03

MuadDib ... do something about the RMG ... the computer player reaches the enemy's castle too soon (about a month) ... Sorry for the post here but I saw you are concern with making the game better for all of us ...

THX

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vokial » 12 Mar 2007, 20:30

Three words:

We will survive! :)

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 Mar 2007, 01:10

Jolly Joker wrote:You'd have to wait for 1.5 anyway, right? Because 1.5 will allow to create User Campaigns. As a sidenote you will be able to transfer up to 4 heroes then and transfer will be possible to ANY map (i.e., you'll be able to transfer a hero from map 1 to map 3 and 5 and another one from map 2 to 4 and then 5 and so on).
I am waiting for 1.5 for the campaign creation, :D but I was unaware of the limitation of only 4 carryover heroes, why? :( H-IV you could carryover virtually an unlimited number of heroes and they too could show up in any map you wished, skipping maps was easy. In some of my maps I had as many as 6-8 heroes carrying over when you include the heroes I was using to transfer variables from one map to the next.

On a side note it was good to see Fabrice take the time to clarify the mod issue. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 13 Mar 2007, 04:57

that was nice .... but why the problem with 2.1 when it (I can only assume) was working correctly before?
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 13 Mar 2007, 09:38

I took an hour yesterday to try the several options to make a mod works. I tried with my mod because it modifies elements both from Heroes 5 standard ("H5std") and specific to Hammers of Fate ("HoF")

So :

- Putting the pak in dataa1 like in HoF 2.0 : doesn't work anymore. But you already know that :)

- Putting the pak in "Data" : as assumed by Kimp Imp, the H5std elements work, but the modifications to HoF don't. (@ alx516 : your mod works because it only changes elements that were already in H5std)

- Putting the content of the pak directly in "Data" : same as above.

- Putting the content of the pak directly in "Dataa1" : OK I forgot to try this one. I'll assume it works, it may simply gets messy if you have several mods at once.

- Renaming the pak into h5m and putting in "Maps" : almost works, but buggy. (It seems pretty random : the first time I tried, a modded hero appeared without any change, I restarted the map and this time the changes were effective. Go figure.)

- Including the modded files inside a "true" map created with the editor : works fine.

I updated the news item accordingly.
Edited on Tue, Mar 13 2007, 02:42 by Marzhin
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Lord FubarII
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord FubarII » 01 Apr 2007, 05:15

Even though I'm new to the world of modding in Heroes, I've tried out some for H5 and really like some of them. The skipping the order in which to play the Campaign I really liked after having to reinstall my H5. The Treant tweak is super now. At first I wasn't so sure if I liked it.

Anyway, I came close to buying HoF when I spotted this issue with the 2.1 patch. At this time, I'd rather have all my mods that others have made then to play HoF.

I'll be watching this thread for someone far brighter then me to come up with a good work around so we all can have it both ways if we choose to.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Return to “News”