Heroes V no more mod-friendly since 2.1

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Heroes V no more mod-friendly since 2.1

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Mar 2007, 15:11

Elvin wrote:Maybe someone should make a thread about it in the ubi forums...
I just did. I can't see why it would help though.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 10 Mar 2007, 15:15

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:
Equilibris greatly improved HOMM4.
A hammer could've greatly improved HOMM4. :O)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 10 Mar 2007, 15:17

They are just trying to break all idiocy and incompetence records.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 10 Mar 2007, 15:19

PhoenixReborn wrote:Sir Charles to suggest that messing with mods is tough and can screw with mp tells me that you haven't used them. It's a simple matter of pasting into the data file. You don't like the mod you delete that specific file. Very easy, or it was before this patch.
I wasn't saying that it DOES mess with MP, but I've certainly heard of that being a problem with some games. As for me using them, yes, you're absolutely correct. I haven't and I don't intend to. With the NWC games, it just felt "wrong" to use them. It felt like taking my favorite book by my favorite author and changing the characters names with a felt-tip pen. *shudders* But I have looked at these mods (WoG, Equilibris and the individual mods for h5) and none of them have made me even remotely consider cracking open the game-code to mess with it. Whether it's easy or not doesn't matter to me. It's a matter of taste, and it doesn't suit mine. Simple.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 10 Mar 2007, 15:21

I too agree with Infiltrator and Sir Charles here especially with H-5 games put out by Nival since their track record of programming, bugs & etc..
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 10 Mar 2007, 17:37

Sir Charles wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:
Equilibris greatly improved HOMM4.
A hammer could've greatly improved HOMM4. :O)
Well, of course everyone has their own tastes. But IMHO HOMM4 with Equilibris is a great game. And Equilibris IS a great mod.

A lot of folks never gave HOMM4 a chance.

Help the users make new content, don't hinder them.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Mar 2007, 17:57

I am sort of in the middle on this, mods before the game is mature (i.e. the company is done patching) are not going to be subject to the whims of the company. Other the the cheats, I've not used any of them. Now once the game has matured, then like Equilibris they can be very useful. Just hope that UBI isn't vindictive and modify H-IV so it can't be used. Though they already have messed with it a little.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 10 Mar 2007, 22:11

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:
Sir Charles wrote:
Grumpy Old Wizard wrote: A lot of folks never gave HOMM4 a chance.
That's very true, but I wasn't one of them. I played that game nearly non-stop for over 6 months....it was quite painful. But with the NWC logo on it....I just couldn't bring myself to the realization that it was as bad as it really was.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Mar 2007, 23:48

Well H-V is so much like H-III that it should have driven a stake in it, but the poor execution of the map editor which unless they fix it so more people can use it, we'll still be playing H-III and H-IV long after H-V is thrown on the junk heap (too bad as it can be a good game). Why, simple the best maps have always come from the fans, and many of the great maps have come from people who already have said they will not use the editor in its current form. I do not claim to be in that group, but I am in the group that won't use that editor. Which getting back to the thread topic, to continually make changes forcing mods to be reworked just alienates more people. Bad choices following bad choices.
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Mar 2007, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Avalon-Eternal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Avalon-Eternal » 11 Mar 2007, 01:49

This is just really lame...

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 11 Mar 2007, 09:22

< Well it seems Nival/Ubi likes to shoot its own foot. It's hard to come up with even more dumb move than that. >

< Unfortunately, for them to come up with a dumber move is very easy. They just have to make a move ;) >

LOOOL!!!!!!!
Edited on Sun, Mar 11 2007, 01:23 by Zamolxis
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 11 Mar 2007, 15:33

I still can't get the 'Wait' button mod to work. Has anyone had any luck with this?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Mar 2007, 22:18

what a pak of monkeys!!!

they just try and make things difficult for the people who are trying to fix their game .... and yet when they try to break it it still takes only a short time for the community to get around their stupid ideas .... pathetic
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 1979 » 12 Mar 2007, 03:29

I don't generally use mods, but I do think it's ridiculous that Nival has done this. User-made content can really encourage people to play the game more, and that makes them more likely to buy the expansion packs and future versions of the game. I can't see how they think that making it more difficult to change things in the game is a good idea...

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Mar 2007, 04:45

Therein lies the problem: they weren't thinking.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Mar 2007, 05:30

well, it is my sincere hope that they weren't thinking when they did this, if it was deliberate then it is even worse ....
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 12 Mar 2007, 09:13

alx516 wrote:4 Marzhin :

I simply copy the modded directory in data - NOT DATAa1 folder .... Even If You have HoF installed !!!!

This Works for my mod ... can't tell about the others, since I dindn't try ...
The problem seems to be that no one is reading posts and prefers to complain instead.
As far as I know all mods work - but you have to put them in the data folder and NOT in the dataa1 folder.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 12 Mar 2007, 09:29

@ JJ : Show me one post that explains it, here on the Round Table, please...
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 12 Mar 2007, 09:44

What do you mean?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 12 Mar 2007, 09:56

You wrote : "The problem seems to be that no one is reading posts and prefers to complain instead. "

Oh wait, you were reffering to alx516's comment ? When I read "post" I think "posts in the forums", not "comments", so I thought someone had already explained the mod issue in the forums and I was wondering where...

Return to “News”