Heroes V no more mod-friendly since 2.1

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 09 Mar 2007, 14:40

You may have noticed your favourite mods for Heroes V : Hammers of Fate don't work anymore after you patched your game to 2.1. The reason is simple : the EXE has been modified by Nival to only use the original .pak files and ignore any modpak you may have added to your dataa1 directory. With that strange change of heart, Nival certainly hasn't made friends with the [a href="/http://elrath.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=733"]modding community[/a]...

So far there seems to be two ways of making the mods work :

- Unpacking the original pak files in your dataa1 folder and replacing the files with the ones of your modpak. This is, of course, not recommended as by doing so you risk overwriting the original game files and the game may not work properly afterwards.

- Include the files of your modpak in a .h5m map, placed in your Maps directory. You may simply rename your .pak file into .h5m and move it to the Maps folder but including its content to a "real" map file seems to give better results.

If you have any other method to allow mods to be used with patch 2.1 don't hesitate to share it with us.

What I wonder is : does Ubisoft knows what Nival is doing ?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1173451256
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

alx516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alx516 » 09 Mar 2007, 15:56

My Mod works like a charm with HoF and 2.1

- Changes the maximum number of Heroes the COMPUTER (not Human) player is allowed to have at any time on the adventure map. -

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 09 Mar 2007, 16:00

Do you use it in the form of a .pak archive or just by putting the various files in your dataa1 folder ?
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Heroes V no more mod-friendly since 2.1

Unread postby King Imp » 09 Mar 2007, 16:23

Marzhin wrote: What I wonder is : does Ubisoft knows what Nival is doing?

A better question is do they even care. Regardless of whether or not it's been tested or even works, as long as Nival gets something out the door, all Ubi cares about is the money.

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 09 Mar 2007, 16:53

2 schools of thought here: 1st is the thought that modding (when used within a game) is a form of cheating as it enables the game to played in a differant way to which it was intended.. 2nd thought is that they provided the tools by which to do it, therefore saying its ok by them to alter the game/play...
I THINK SO THEREFORE I AM

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 09 Mar 2007, 17:26

Wurtzel wrote:2 schools of thought here: 1st is the thought that modding (when used within a game) is a form of cheating as it enables the game to played in a differant way to which it was intended..
Well that would be a stupid thing to think.

Where did you get this 'schools of thought' concept from?
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Aku
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aku » 09 Mar 2007, 17:34

Well it seems Nival/Ubi likes to shoot its own foot. It's hard to come up with even more dumb move than that.

Vokial
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vokial » 09 Mar 2007, 18:14

This is no problem :) The Heroes game almost in Open Source :P You can just fix the exe file :)

alx516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alx516 » 09 Mar 2007, 20:03

4 Marzhin :

I simply copy the modded directory in data - NOT DATAa1 folder .... Even If You have HoF installed !!!!

This Works for my mod ... can't tell about the others, since I dindn't try ...

AllanPoe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AllanPoe » 09 Mar 2007, 20:28

Well it seems Nival/Ubi likes to shoot its own foot. It's hard to come up with even more dumb move than that.

Unfortunately, for them to come up with a dumber move is very easy. They just have to make a move ;)

kingcranium14
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby kingcranium14 » 09 Mar 2007, 22:00

Bad move- if we can't fix what they did to the game, then not as many people'll play it --what were they thinking?

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 09 Mar 2007, 22:47

And here I thought that things would actually become BETTER!....ah....Nival never ceases to amaze you....and now lets see what the bunny got to say about Nival:

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 09 Mar 2007, 23:50

Never cared about mods, especially in heroes games, so I'm pretty much indifferent with this change.
Infiltrator out.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 10 Mar 2007, 00:21

Gotta agree with Infiltrator here. I've rarely seen a mod that was worth the time or effort. And I've never been a fan of cracking into the games' code and altering it...for any game/application. Part of it is the fact that I'd be afraid that I'd screw it up and the application would stop working completely. And then there's the compatibility issues when you're talking about an MP game too. Too many hassles for something not really needed IMO.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 10 Mar 2007, 00:35

"Never cared about mods, especially in heroes games, so I'm pretty much indifferent with this change."

Then I'd say you've been missing out on a lot.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

mechnic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mechnic » 10 Mar 2007, 04:48

I can understand Mods in the Elder Scrolls series and other games like it; but why in a TBS MP on UBI.com game when everyone would have to have the same mod??? Otherwise you get the checksum error. Right?

pigsticker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pigsticker » 10 Mar 2007, 04:53

Most mods i use are to fix gameplay issue. If Nival has fixed them, then some of the mods are no longer needed, are they? Some of the other mods are for aesthetic reasons, e.g. changing of the zealots sprites, so your zealots look uglier now, would they affect your game?

i do agree that mods do generate interest and add more to a game and hence prolong time i spend playing Homm5.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 10 Mar 2007, 11:46

Sir Charles wrote:Gotta agree with Infiltrator here. I've rarely seen a mod that was worth the time or effort. And I've never been a fan of cracking into the games' code and altering it...for any game/application. Part of it is the fact that I'd be afraid that I'd screw it up and the application would stop working completely. And then there's the compatibility issues when you're talking about an MP game too. Too many hassles for something not really needed IMO.
Equilibris greatly improved HOMM4.

While I have not played a mod for HOMM5 yet (I've been waiting for the patching eternal concept to come to fruition) I will at some point play with mods (if Nival doesn't destroy the possiblility.)

Fans do great work with maps and mods because theirs is a labor of love and they can put as much time into it as they want to. Fan made content has greatly contributed to the success of the series. Ubi/Nival should be encouraging not discouraging fan made content.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 10 Mar 2007, 14:00

Maybe someone should make a thread about it in the ubi forums...
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 10 Mar 2007, 14:22

Well Modding has greatly enhanced my Heroes V experience and I'm ticked off that it gets screwed up with every patch. Here are the mods I use:

Because I don't win very often on hard, I use a mod that boosts the hard resources up to what you get on normal. That way I have a strong opponent but I have a chance to build up also.

I also use Sir Toejam's fast track ultimate mod. This makes it actually possible to get the ultimates by the end of an mp map. Around level 18 or 20, just right.

Sir Charles to suggest that messing with mods is tough and can screw with mp tells me that you haven't used them. It's a simple matter of pasting into the data file. You don't like the mod you delete that specific file. Very easy, or it was before this patch.

Return to “News”