FedEx and the Dark Messiah Computer

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

FedEx and the Dark Messiah Computer

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Feb 2007, 15:31

I talked about the Dark Messiah modded computer a couple of times and how cool it is, since I had the chance to see it with my own eyes. Now, let me tell you the story behind its shipment to my home, courtesy of FedEx:

<li>In December, arturchix wins the computer and I agree to have it sent to my place temporarily.

<li>The Disciples of Sareth site admin ships it on December 27th and sends us the tracking number, which enables us to follow the progress of the shipment online. However, there isn't any update for several days, but we thought it was normal because of the holidays.

<li>Fast-forward to January 10th, when there is a first update on the FedEx site. Apparently the package is still in Brooklyn, New York, not far from the sender. Later that day the computer ends up in Keasbey, New Jersey.

<li>The next day the package goes back to the state of New York, in Syracuse this time.

<li>On January 12 the computer finally arives in Canada, but since it's a Friday it will have to spend the week-end in a warehouse.

<li>On January 15 there is a little note from FedEx on my door saying they tried to deliver the package earlier, and will try two other times. I thought I could work from hom on Wednesday to make sure I'm there for the final delivery.

<li>On January 16 there is no note on my door when I come back from work. About an hour later, a neighbor (a woman I have never spoken to before) drops by to tell me she got a package for me. The FedEx guy told her he tried to deliver the package <i>three times</i> already and asked her to pick it up for me. She lives two houses away from me, so I have to carry the 64 pound box back to my place, and remember that we are talking about a $2000+ computer here.

<li><b><a href="/https://www.celestialheavens.com/admin/ ... .jpg">Here is what the box looked like</a></b>. I didn't unwrap the package myself, it was that way when FedEx delivered the box. Also, notice the smashed corners.

Fortunately, the machine was in working condition and arturchix has since received it. But the bottomline is that standard air mail from your post office will often do a better job than FedEx, for a much lower price.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1171639890
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Feb 2007, 15:43

8|
Such modding has its zest.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

arturchix
Titan
Titan

FedEx and the DM Computer

Unread postby arturchix » 16 Feb 2007, 16:42

lol, actually this is only part of the story, the funny part. ;) Anyway, the comp is safe here now. :)

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 16 Feb 2007, 17:31

You're absolutely right about shipping prices. I also volunteered to recieve stuff for Alderbranch, Znork and Oakwarrior. All of thier stuff shipped to thier countries via FedEx would've run me about 350.00 US. Regular post office shipping....85.00 US. Hmmmm...which should I choose. :O)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 16 Feb 2007, 17:38

Holy ****, that thing is really beat up. Was it supposed to come with a hole punched into the side? At least that's what it looks like...
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 16 Feb 2007, 18:08

That reminds me a thing... guess why I finally did not got Heroes V collectors edition?

-

Yep, FedEx lost the package :( . UbiShop had to give me back the money, and I had to buy finally the "low-price"-line edition that was being sold here... Yep, it was cheap, but the box was awful (you know, these low-price titles have half of the box devoted to the low-price brand) and half to the game; besides -of corse- no goddies added.

-

And that, of course, four months after the game was released, when I forgot about any hope FedEx will deliver the package.

-

Seems that FedEx doesn't like Might and Magic very much :p
Don't be fooled by the title -- Dragons can disguise as peasants, too

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 16 Feb 2007, 19:04

HA! That sounds bad for you!

My only FedEx experience is a very swift effortless delivery from the states to Norway. Much faster and better than the lousy German post office shipping!

anakha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby anakha » 16 Feb 2007, 19:24

I have only one experience with fed-ex, and it was good aside from the fact that I wasn't informed I had to be home to accept a package at a certain time, at the first delivery attempt.

That said, they ought to reinburse arturchix for their horriffic handling of his property.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 16 Feb 2007, 20:08

This is not the only "experience" I've had with FedEx - but I'm already used to it and in such cases simply say "FedEx delivers".

I'm very impressed with Royal Mail - all of the shippings are very fast and at low cost.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 16 Feb 2007, 22:07

Ok, it's been delivered using a combine harvester, so what? Believe me, it's better that way than with catapults.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 16 Feb 2007, 23:24

I had a similar experience with Fed-Ex on what was supposed to be next day delivery.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: FedEx and the DM Computer

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Feb 2007, 23:27

Wildbear wrote:Believe me, it's better that way than with catapults.
Unless the package is an orc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3scP9RqX2k :D
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 17 Feb 2007, 02:45

OMFG!!! Will you get a future discount or something from'em because of their lousy handling of your stuff?

But really, where are the white material that box in the tower so as to protect it from damage?
Edited on Fri, Feb 16 2007, 18:47 by Campaigner

Avalon-Eternal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Avalon-Eternal » 17 Feb 2007, 04:28

Fedex killed what I created.

Peace.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 17 Feb 2007, 04:40

Cryptic.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 17 Feb 2007, 12:06

It's amazing that the label managed to stay attached.

At least the computer arrived in good condition. Thank goodness. :)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 17 Feb 2007, 15:37

Well, I just ordered some games from Amazon (via CH marketplace, of course). The order was placed on Jan 20. It arrived at Horseshoe Bay PO on Feb 1 and was immediately sent back to where it came from. On Feb 9, it was back where it started. At this point I contacted Amazon and went nuclear. They promised me overnight shipping and the package finally came on Feb 14, five days later, for a total of 25 days. Pick your poison.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 17 Feb 2007, 16:28

I had that happen to me a couple years ago when I ordered Skies of Arcadia from Amazon. I ordered it two weeks before the release date. I got it two weeks after the release date. I was really ticked but cooled down when they gave me a $10 off coupon after I called up and complained.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Avalon-Eternal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Avalon-Eternal » 17 Feb 2007, 19:46

Should the master explain to the student? Or should the student understand the master?

Neverwinter Nights.

24 days.

A brush with death.

Amazon.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 17 Feb 2007, 21:03

"Relax, It's FedEx". Now imagine it's transporting my PC...

Return to “News”