A Wish for Portable Heroes

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Jan 2007, 17:18

The very first Question of the Day feature at Advanced Media Network's Nintendo DS site is related to our beloved series. A reader asks: "Has there been any talks of bringing Heroes of Might and Magic to the Nintendo DS? I think Heroes of Might and Magic III would be an absolute great piece of software to add to the DS library."

The editors have no answer to provide and mostly complain about the lack of interest in the DS from Western Developers. But the fact is that the DS would be a great medium for a quick game of Heroes on the bus. To this day, there has been only two attempts to port Heroes to a gaming console: a cancelled Dreamcast version of Heroes III, on which Fabrice Cambounet worked a long time ago, and Quest of the Dragonstaff, a King's Bounty remake for the Playstation 2.

Are you into portable gaming? What do you do while commuting to school or work?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1169659101

urbanmonk
Scout
Scout

Unread postby urbanmonk » 24 Jan 2007, 17:42

My son has a Heroes of Might and Magic game for his Gameboy, was put out by 3DO shortly before their demise.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 24 Jan 2007, 19:23

Wasn't there a project a while back for a Heroes-like game on Palm devices? I can't recall the name of it though.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 24 Jan 2007, 19:55

I would love to have a DS tossed at me; "here have it, have fun!"

But as it is, I have priorities, and bought big computer instead, which leaves no room for little hand-helds. I wouldn't bother to buy hand-hold for just one game....

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 24 Jan 2007, 20:13

GO FOR IT. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The DS is a total blast, and with its stylus controls, playing H3 on a DS would be exactly like playing it on a PC, and there is no better HoMM game to play on the go.

Yeah, I'm way into portable gaming. I've played Gameboy, GBA, and DS games. All the Poke'mon games were great (except for Ruby/Sapphire, I don't know anyone who likes them that much). I've got 214 out of 250 poke'mon in Gold version so far - that's my all-time favorite. Dragon Warrior Monsters was extremely fun, mostly because of the amazing breeding system, but the story is cool too. X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse was a really lame button-masher, and Dungeons+Dragons: Eye of the Beholder was absolutely horrible.

Metroid Prime: Hunters for the DS has a awesome Multiplayer, which is great because the DS has a great multiplayer system with the wireless connections and download play.
Edited on Wed, Jan 24 2007, 13:23 by CloudRiderX
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Jan 2007, 20:45

Kristo wrote:Wasn't there a project a while back for a Heroes-like game on Palm devices? I can't recall the name of it though.
Pocket Heroes, based on Heroes2 game.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby archcorenth » 24 Jan 2007, 21:42

there are actually two heroes games for Gameboy. I own both of them. they're pretty much awful, though.

Also, for people who like Heroes-like games that aren't actually Heroes. Disciples II is coming to the DS.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 24 Jan 2007, 23:16

Ouch, Disciples II on a handheld?

Don't get me wrong, it was (and still is) a great game but the graphics were quite confusing, even on my 17' TFT. i often had to look thrice to find a hero.. and the very dark colour palette didn't help either!

So i can't imagine how to find anything on the map on a Nintendo DS!

But gameplaywise it could surely be a blast!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 25 Jan 2007, 00:17

I always prefered Disciples 1 and their colorfull graphics to gothic D2, if they use D1 pallete, it could be done for ds...

However, heroes gameplay is imho much better than disciples one.

Brawlermatrix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Brawlermatrix » 25 Jan 2007, 06:41

Depending on the story it takes on the DS (If a clone of the Heroes 3 game, in its entierty or core game only, then maybe it wont make a big hit on the market) and the graphics style there is a massive potential for the game to be a big hit on the DS system. If they use the DS to its maximum potencial with the usage of wi-fi, downloading of the game to another DS and Online play then that makes it even more attractive to any DS player, espicaly me..

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 25 Jan 2007, 09:30

There were two Heroes on Game Boy Color. And StrategyFirst announced not only Disciples II, but also Warlords on DS. There should definitely be a Heroes on DS.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 25 Jan 2007, 15:49

I loved and still do handhelds but I have other priorities. My pc can get me what I want and I'd rather buy a ps2 or x-box anyway. Occasionally I miss some good action games that I played on gba.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 25 Jan 2007, 20:00

Disciples II for the DS!? I'm there!
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 26 Jan 2007, 02:25

I play HoMM3 on the go....it's called a laptop. :D

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 27 Jan 2007, 00:04

Advance Wars DS demonstrates that the Nintendo DS is an ideal platform for strategy games. That's a great and really complex game that has nothing to envy to PC games.

The DS has power enough for a Heroes III port to that console.

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby socketboy » 27 Jan 2007, 06:25

I'd like a simple cell phone version

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby socketboy » 27 Jan 2007, 06:25

A good one that is. IE at least heroes 2

Hambone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hambone » 27 Jan 2007, 14:12

I like HOMM plenty, but Advance Wars DS frankly kicks its ass. If a full-blown Advance Wars game were made for the PC, we'd all be playing it instead.

"The adding features part depends on the end of the patch plan." -- Fabrice Cambounet

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 08 Feb 2007, 10:15

I've thought about a portable Heroes for the DS, just like how AoE works for the DS, it's great, info on the top screen and input on the bottom. Heroes III is probably to heavy on assets to port for the DS but maybe Heroes II.

This year, both Sim City (3k port kinda) and Theme Park will come. I also hope there will be a Civilization port anytime.
Edited on Thu, Feb 08 2007, 03:16 by Hipshot

Return to “News”