Quicksilver for WoG in Beta

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 19 Jan 2007, 01:37

There is a new mod in town, this time for the Heroes of Might and Magic III add-on, In the Wake of Gods. Mod-modding? Metamodding? Words fail me to describe Bigjocker's interesting project. <a href="/http://quicksilver.ucoz.com/">Quicksilver</a> is a patch that adds new monsters ("4 second upgrades in every town, many of them will be new creatures"), buildings, scripts and campaign to version 3.58f of the Wake of Gods. The Pictures section includes several character animations and under Other Changes are described some of the mod's ambitious changes.

It is too late to beta test the mod, but the project leader is looking for additional help. Thanks to Vlaad who sent me those news.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1169170675
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

grimogre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby grimogre » 19 Jan 2007, 02:47

Sounds great!Wog has vastly increased the game's replayability.

viknety
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby viknety » 19 Jan 2007, 13:04

Wow that is awesome!

With this patch and the new town patch i think i'll be playing HOMM3 again.

now just to find my disks

and LONG LIVE HEROES

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 19 Jan 2007, 19:53

NO, not awesome. Even though I admire the hard work of the WoG team, and the idea of Quicksilver, QS is changing too much that makes WoG fun.

It's like this - WoG improves the gameplay of H3 where is was needed, and adds more monsters, and a ton of mapmaking extras. But, Quicksilver, its one guy changing everything to be the way he wants it to be.

The new 'upgrades' are mostly WoG 3.58 monsters as part of each town lineup. So, a nomad upgrades into a cavalier in QS. That's not right. I don't mind seeing Zealots upgrade into War Zealots, but changing the town lineups like this is a no-no. QS will make Emissaries as strong as Azure Dragons. Why??

Pretty soon, all of these modders are going to be making a billion versions of the game the way they want it to be. And I REALLY don't feel like making creature pages and alternate town pages because of this Quicksilver's changes to a perfectly-okay mod to begin with.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 19 Jan 2007, 20:05

WoG has always been about options and choice--letting the player choose what he or she likes about the game, which options to use and which ones to turn off. New mods simply provide more choice. Not everyone will like these changes for sure, but it's a player's choice to install and use the mod if they wish and to ignore it or install, try it out, and uninstall if that's an option.

In fact, one of 3.59's goals will be to provide additional tools to let WoG players produce their own mods for WoG, and we hope to have ways to let players manage these mods easier too.

But I really wouldn't worry too much about information pages for these additional mods to WoG. Once there's several of them, all that would be needed on CH is a page with links and perhaps a brief description of each (although more than likely we'd put this on the WoG site itself).

So don't worry. Be happy. :)
- Fnord

arkantos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arkantos » 19 Jan 2007, 21:35

I actually like the changes that QS has made. It will make the current factions interesting. If you don't like the changes, then don't install this mod. It's that simple. I am looking forward to giving these little twists a try!

When did HOMMIII come out anyways? 6-7 years ago...and I'm still loving it, with a little spice added by WOG of course!

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 19 Jan 2007, 23:57

I agree with CloudRider... except, i dont like even standard wog having too many options... this is just making it worse..

But then again, if there are enough people that are happy with the patch, it has served the purpose and the mod should be labeled as a succes :)

Good job BigJocker

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 20 Jan 2007, 01:51

Well, my view isn't perfectly set, but I am immidiately disinclined to try this. But one thing might change my mind: Are all these changes mentioned going to always be implemented, or will they have on/off options like other WoG features? If that's the case, it's not so bad, but the way QS sounds is it make changes that will occur all the time. How will this fit in with WoG anyway? What happens when 3.59 comes out?

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 20 Jan 2007, 01:56

After looking around a bit more, I gotta say, some of those new creatures look really nice. But it says its changing almost all creature stats, similar to Equilibris. I always thought the factions were pretty balanced in H3, what needs to be changed?

EDIT: Wow, hope I didn't offend you Fnord. :0

I had no idea you were part of this project.
Edited on Fri, Jan 19 2007, 18:58 by CloudRiderX

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 20 Jan 2007, 02:10

one thing i dont understand: this guy obviously has the skills required to make H3-looking models, so why use WC3 ones for some creatures? not only do they look terrible, but they just dont fit...

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 20 Jan 2007, 02:44

He also has some models from Neverwinter Nights and M&M 7.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 20 Jan 2007, 03:03

Well, CloudRiderX, all I can say is that once 3.59 is finally released, get use to all the changes that will take place in WoG. I think somewhere along the lines I asked you to rest your typing fingers. ;) :D
In any event WoG 3.59 is not your fathers' WoG. It'll be NextGen. This is just a minute sample of things to come.

bigjocker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bigjocker » 20 Jan 2007, 08:08

wow...Interesting discussion is going on here...

CloudRiderX, QS doesn't have ON/OFF function (maybe some day), but if you don't like it and you don't want to give it a try, just do not install it. (as someone already said so). And I'm not changing it only for Myself, but I'm doing it for all WoG fans who want some new things, some changes. Even if I would be doing it ONLY for myself, why can't I share it? Like it-install, don't like it-don't install. This is simple. ;)
Edited on Sat, Jan 20 2007, 01:10 by bigjocker

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 20 Jan 2007, 10:08

Good things:

-upgrade system like the one from H2

-some ideas are good

-everything that balances is good!

Bad things:

-for gods sake, stop copying from other games (H4, W3, NwN...) and be a bit more creative. Take few more months if you want, but make creatures and building models more unique!

-some upgrades make no sense! Halbadier into rogue?! Nomad into cavalry? How to the hell can barbarous nomads be a part of civilized Erathia?!

-Darkside?

Now, I am not bashing Quicksilver, but I believe that I should show things that I any some othe people don't like so that the project may be even better.
Edited on Sat, Jan 20 2007, 03:10 by Sauron
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 20 Jan 2007, 19:00

Well, I registered twice and got no reply, still can't enter the QS site for some reason or another. The site said it would mail something to me, both times........still waiting. :|

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 20 Jan 2007, 20:08

@Bigjocker

i got noting against your game, i think its great (although i disagree with some of your ideas, basically what Sauron said) but please, you need to make your own models. like i said before, obiously you can, so please put in the extra time and delay release by a bit to make your own.

also,

upgrades in H3 tend to look basically the same as base creatures, but different colors and maybe armor and weapons and such. wha you do, is you make totally new models. like the demon upgrade, before someone told me i couldnt tell it was a demon upgrade (or maybe its because im slow). but anyway, what i would have done is just taken the horned demon and maybe put some better armour on it, set it on fire or something. same with the imps and devils, and your other upgrades too. otherwise, i really like it :)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Jan 2007, 22:05

ByteBandit wrote:........still waiting. :|
Worked for me flawlessly, try to checking your spam or bulk folder it can sometimes going here instead of where it should.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 20 Jan 2007, 22:22

neh, the upg-upg imps receive criticism again after so many months. imho they dont deserve it. they look great.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 21 Jan 2007, 07:18

Pol wrote: Worked for me flawlessly, try to checking your spam or bulk folder it can sometimes going here instead of where it should.
Alrighty. I'll check my junk folder once I try to join again.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 21 Jan 2007, 17:58

Ok, I think I owe some apologies:

Sorry bigjocker, I wasn't aware there was a group behind you making QS, from what I saw the first time I checked the website and from what the news said, it sounded like a one-man job.

Secondly, its not so much that I don't want to try it (although it seemed like it at first), I like smany of the QS ideas, like second upgrades, but other things about it I don't. That's why I asked about on/off options. WoG lets you toggle all the different options on and off to customize how you want to play, but QS doesn't. That means emissaries are going to be as strong as Azure Dragons even if I don't want them to be. That's what I was getting at, maybe I worded it wrong.

Also, one of the reasons I attacked it right away is because I thought Quicksilver was a different mod for H3, not a mod for WoG. That's why I mentioned many people making the game the way they want it to be.

Basically, Sauron voiced my opinion. Lots of great ideas, but the bad ones turn me off from playing it.

Return to “News”