Heroes: Directors Cut

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
jeff

Unread postby jeff » 28 Dec 2006, 15:36

I hate (and I am serious I hate it) being a sanctimonious American, but this is one of the reasons I was uneasy seeing the M & M universe move to European hands, first answers about the game development in non-English forums (with fans having to translate them), then we never get the Heroes complete edition in NA with all of the add-ons for Heroes III and IV (at least I think its still not available to us), and now this a Russian edition no less. Jeez, well at least HOF improved the overall enjoyment of the current version.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 Dec 2006, 15:56

I downloaded the Russian version yesterday and for me, it took more than 3 hours. From what I've read here, I'm not going to download the English version at all, or even install the one I already have. What a waste Nival! You people should be doing your job instead … by continuing to improve the game and making the Map Editor user-friendly?
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 28 Dec 2006, 16:29

To Jeff:

This does not have anything to do with the fact that it is made in Europe. Only few teams like Nival( make the game in non-English language.

The development team, Croteam, in my land who made Serious Sam 1 & 2 never made a edition in Croatian. A mod was needed to translate it.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 28 Dec 2006, 16:47

I do not see anything wrong here. Its Nivals anniversary not someone else, so why they cant do what they want ?

I think work that was needed to create this map was sponsored by nival itself. So its fine with me.

VodevilX
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby VodevilX » 28 Dec 2006, 18:17

**** man

Nival has done well, and by time and probably with more expansions the game will be more damn good

anyway time to look for game award by now, end of this year

HOMM V has good chances

jeff

Re: Heroes: Directors Cut

Unread postby jeff » 28 Dec 2006, 20:18

Sauron wrote:To Jeff:

This does not have anything to do with the fact that it is made in Europe. Only few teams like Nival( make the game in non-English language.

The development team, Croteam, in my land who made Serious Sam 1 & 2 never made a edition in Croatian. A mod was needed to translate it.
You're right of course and I do not mean to look like the "ugly American", and many great games are coming from European and other non-American producers. It's just another example of catering to fragmented parts of the Heroes fan base. All members of the community should have gotten a chance to buy the edition with all of the expansions and the game (and all components) should be available in all the languages Heroes was being marketed in, and the same with this bonus pack. It just has not made any sense to me making some things available in one part of the world and not others. It's just seems like a poor economic model.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 28 Dec 2006, 20:38

Agree with that. IMO, every team should FIRST make the game in English version, and then translate it. I understand that they may feel as if they are not showing their language a proper respect, but English is the world language.

If they want to make a Russian exclusive, then they should have made something that is connected with their country.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 28 Dec 2006, 23:41

Hello!? Is anyone listening? I do not like Nival and the way they did things. But I dont unterstand your complaints about this map.

Its goddamn nivals decision to create this map. Nival - but not Nival's HoMM5 managment. I belive UBI has nothing to do with it.

Nival is not just HoMM5 team. Nival is one of the biggest game developers in russia and also is a publisher.

If they want to make something for one of their games ASIDE from normal plan(which is pretty poor for H5, but thats different talk) - they have right do to so in any way or language they want.
Edited on Thu, Dec 28 2006, 16:42 by MistWeaver

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 28 Dec 2006, 23:59

MistWeaver wrote:Hello!? Is anyone listening? I do not like Nival and the way they did things. But I dont unterstand your complaints about this map.

Its goddamn nivals decision to create this map. Nival - but not Nival's HoMM5 managment. I belive UBI has nothing to do with it.

Nival is not just HoMM5 team. Nival is one of the biggest game developers in russia and also is a publisher.

If they want to make something for one of their games ASIDE from normal plan(which is pretty poor for H5, but thats different talk) - they have right do to so in any way or language they want.
I think the concern of a lot of people is that the scenario obviously took some time and resources to make since the file is so huge. There are still issues with HOMM5 that need to be addressed which would seem to merit greater attention than a single map made in a single language. Of course a company is free to do whatever it wishes with its product but it is wise to consider the reaction of the fans who determine whether or not to support the company in the future.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 29 Dec 2006, 00:07

That true GOW, but do you realy think that UBI & Fabrice would allow them to waste resources on some anniversary map for russians ?

I think not. And thats why I think this map is sponsored by Nival itself. Customers lose nothing. If there would be no anniversary - nothing would change.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 29 Dec 2006, 00:14

MistWeaver wrote:That true GOW, but do you realy think that UBI & Fabrice would allow them to waste resources on some anniversary map for russians ?

I think not. And thats why I think this map is sponsored by Nival itself. Customers lose nothing. If there would be no anniversary - nothing would change.
Perhaps the next patch would have been out or we may have gotten a few more spells or other "normal" scenarios. I don't think Ubi/Nival ever delivered on their promise of 10 more free scenario for the original version of the game after it was released.

In any event, as I said, they are free to do whatever they wish.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 29 Dec 2006, 00:28

Mapmakers and artists have little affect on patch releases.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 29 Dec 2006, 01:38

MistWeaver wrote:Hello!? Is anyone listening? I do not like Nival and the way they did things. But I dont unterstand your complaints about this map.

You need to step back and take a deep breath. I did not comment on your first post as I thought none was necessary, but the attitude displayed in this post approaches being offensive. Frustration over the way Heroes has been marketed has reverberated throughout the community. To correct one of your points, it is not their game, but UBI's and if as you said they wish to waste some of their share of the profits fine, but if they want people to join in their celebration then they should supply the maps in languages used by the majority of us who contributed to their Heroes related profits. This use of resources will continue to add fuel to the flames of criticism about their slow updates, remember when Fabrice said one patch per month; well they’re already a few short of that. Nival is making good progress and I am happy with what I have seen in HOF.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 29 Dec 2006, 02:58

jeff wrote: This use of resources will continue to add fuel to the flames of criticism about their slow updates, remember when Fabrice said one patch per month; well they’re already a few short of that. Nival is making good progress and I am happy with what I have seen in HOF.

Once again. Patching - is 95% progammers work. This map was made by one or few mapmakers and probably artists. So it did not thwart patch making in any way.

As for russian language. I think its pure math & money.
There are a lot of people that did maps for HMM games on their native language. Its their right. They do it for free.
Things that Nival does for UBI (like addons) are payed by UBI.
This map is most certanly not payed by UBI. So its purely Nivals choise what to do and how. Give money for translations or not.
I belive it is correct to consider nival as simple mapmaker in this case.

drakonas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby drakonas » 30 Dec 2006, 10:12

One question. Can I launch that "thing" on my english version of the game?

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 30 Dec 2006, 10:42

A nice surprise would be to celebrate the anniversary with dozens of new maps, a proper editor or a patch that addressed all issues. Choose your starting bonus.

This is just self-serving idiocy.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 30 Dec 2006, 20:00

A nice surprise would be to celebrate the anniversary with dozens of new maps, a proper editor or a patch that addressed all issues. Choose your starting bonus.
:rofl:

So, has anyone played the map? How does it play? (does it even play? that map is huge!)
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

morthi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby morthi » 30 Dec 2006, 20:56

we (polish players) are makin our own translation of this scenario :) everything is easy :) u only need a "wish" :)

polish texts and russian speech :) sounds good :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 31 Dec 2006, 02:00

winterfate wrote:
:rofl:

So, has anyone played the map? How does it play? (does it even play? that map is huge!)
I dumped mine in the Recycle Bin. :devious: I don't want to have to turn anything on or off every time I want to play a regular scenario. Not only that, but it took me over 3 hours to download, only to find out it is in Russian. BLAH!

Nival! … anniversary or not, make the Map Editor & RMG more user-friendly. Allow all the maps to be edited in the Editor and come up with a Cheat-Code system which is also user-friendly & has some creativity to it … like in Heroes III & IV.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 31 Dec 2006, 04:46

HodgePodge wrote: Nival! … anniversary or not, make the Map Editor & RMG more user-friendly. Allow all the maps to be edited in the Editor and come up with a Cheat-Code system which is also user-friendly & has some creativity to it … like in Heroes III & IV.
Yes, I would like to be able to edit Nival's maps too. I havn't tried Mahir's Gambit again since HOF came out but I suspect that they have not fixed the problem with the AI sometimes being able to buy the needed artifacts in month one long before the player has a chance. There are several ways to fix the map that should be pretty simple to do and there's really no excuse for them not fixing it.

GOW

Return to “News”