Rob King on the Ubisoft Forum

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Dec 2006, 02:21

Rob King dropped by the <a href="/http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... ">official forum</a> and talked briefly about his work on the Heroes of Might and Magic V score, and how it differs from the previous games:

<i>"The music was based around a couple of themes to be more "Movie-Score" esque..In film the composers typically base the entire score off of 1 or two melodies (Just listen to the Lord of the Rings Scores for example). This is great for linear movies because the whole experience is usually around 90-120 minutes then it is done. Games however can be played for hours which I can agree with the one or two melodies becoming a bit boring at times. The trick is to do it so it doesn't drive you crazy. Maybe it's just me but I don't think the music will drive you crazy in H5. This is the first time we have tried this on a Heroes Game and I think overall it came out pretty good. In the past we would just write whatever came to mind or inspired us."</i>

How does the Heroes V music compare to other games according to you?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1166062878
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Gaping_MAW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaping_MAW » 14 Dec 2006, 04:37

it's one of the reasons that I bought the game. Played the demo and the music blew me away... it's actually pleasant to sit there with the score running in the background. Sure it cycles a bit, but I think they did manage to get it so it wouldn't irritate! :)

Falsted
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Falsted » 14 Dec 2006, 05:07

Yep, one of the main reasons I bought the game too. I love all the Heroes music :P Rob and Paul are awesome :)

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 14 Dec 2006, 05:35

It's certainly not one of the main reasons why I bought the game, but it's certainly not annoying either .... it's a nice score
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 14 Dec 2006, 08:58

I didnt like anything in H5 music score. Its definitely worst Heroes music so far.

On other hand, playing other heroes for many years, I cant say that I find boring any of its melodies.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 14 Dec 2006, 09:19

Heroes V definitely has one of the best scores in Heroes series so far, especially I love the Haven themes. Speaking about boring music - now Heroes III really had a boring adventure map soundtrack, and I've played it for years.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 14 Dec 2006, 10:51

Heroes 5 (and HoF as well) got an amazing soundtrack, just like their former incarnations (though i can't recall H1 music at the moment)... decent music is an important feature that the Heroes series must never abandon!!!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 14 Dec 2006, 13:00

I love the music score of H5, the town themes gives a nice touch to the Heroes atmosphere. And Im glad the adventure map music have got better, the H3 A-tracks drove me bored after a while. Also the combat music dependant on which faction you play as added to the standard combat themes are very welcome. Only drawback is that the Sylvan town theme are way to short for my taste, it should last at least 3-4 min and added some forest music/tones like the Rampart theme from H3.
Edited on Thu, Dec 14 2006, 06:03 by Orfinn

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Dec 2006, 13:15

arturchix wrote:Heroes V definitely has one of the best scores in Heroes series so far, especially I love the Haven themes. Speaking about boring music - now Heroes III really had a boring adventure map soundtrack, and I've played it for years.
Comparing H3 and H5 is unfair, H5 has mach more music to challenge and all together I would rate it a bit better. But is not balanced in this area H3 is still better for me. Speaking of aitheme in H3 I often delete it, cannot withstand to listening to it again and again and ...
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 14 Dec 2006, 14:40

A I theme in H3 IS maddening indeed:) Might and Magic 6 has the "best" music, along with H4. I think

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Dec 2006, 15:34

"Maybe it's just me but I don't think the music will drive you crazy in H5."

No... there are other things that will do that first. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Marcus333
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Marcus333 » 14 Dec 2006, 15:53

Maybe you didn't use the same score for several tracks in HoMM II, III and IV, but i still think a connection is existing. HoMM II + M&M VI has a connection musically. So does HoMM III + M&M VII.

Anyway, I liked the music better in the old games. But maybe it's only memories and nostalgia? It could be.

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 1979 » 14 Dec 2006, 17:50

I like the music in this game, but not as much as in some of the previous ones. I think it's better than the H4 music, though. That always depressed me.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Dec 2006, 18:40

I found Heroes V music to be very pleasing, especially the HoF music; but I couldn't say I like it better than Heroes I or II or III's music.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 14 Dec 2006, 19:52

>No... there are other things that will do that first. :devil:

That was a nice one :)

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 15 Dec 2006, 00:14

While I don't remember the music of Heroes I or Heroes III well, of the other three, Heroes V has the worst soundtrack. I have always been a fan of the music in the Heroes series; I burned the scores of Heroes II and Heroes IV to CD. I could not imagine doing the same for Heroes V, and the only song in the game I actually liked upon first hearing is the Sylvan theme.

Well, not only; I liked the title screen at first, but it wore off soon enough. Same for the Haven theme.

As for the rest...it's so similar, predictable, unremarkable, and sometimes annoying that I can't seem to recall them. Except for the annoying ones (if I remembered what they were associated with, I'd cite them).

Comparatively, the H IV music, while having some boring combat themes and nondistinct terrain music (save for the water one, which has a uniquely excellent medieval feel), had some deep, emotional, and downright immersing town themes. The Necropolis theme from Heroes IV is one of my favorites.

The Heroes II battle themes are catchy, memorable, and enhance the cartoony look. The terrain themes all have unique feels; some have strong imagery and are listenable standalone (primarily the Snow and Grass ones). A few of the town themes are also excellent.

Unfortunately, I can not apply very many of those adjectives to the HV music.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 Dec 2006, 03:26

Some of the tracks are good, but they do not bear the number of repetitions that you get playing a large map. I enjoyed the music for about a week and now I leave it off.

Was it Heroes II that multiple settings? I remember the thrill when I got a sound card that could play 'Opera'.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 29 Dec 2006, 19:39

It was pretty amazing when I heard it for the first time, but it is easily the worst Heroes soundtrack when it comes to its "replayability". And I will NEVER forgive Ubisoft their fraudulent claims that the soundtrack would be included with the Collector's Edition.

Return to “News”