Hammers of Fate Review at GameSpot

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Hammers Review at GameSpot

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 24 Nov 2006, 02:53

"I wont comment on EA games, since im hater as well,... but people that buy their games every year are convinced that they are best games as well... and who are we (players that dont play EA games often) to argue. :)"

Yes, how DARE we assume we are as smart as the general EA gamer population.

"but i still bet many of those that bash H5 still play it more then they admit.."

Don't waste your time. It would be pointless to say you hate something when you don't, as well as the fact that it isn't gaining us anything in this particular situation.

"Well, exceptions only confirm the rule..."

.......and rules are meant to be broken, right?

Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 19:56 by CloudRiderX
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 24 Nov 2006, 03:47

LOL

I never said anything about IQ or how smart certain populations are (and unlike some others, i dont judge a person by their intellect).. it totally doesnt matter in the end anyway... if those people are happy with their game, why argue about it...

EA is happy to sell the game, and that gamer population is happy to play it... end of story.. i wont interfere with that, same as i wont interfere with happy monks that spend their whole life in monasteries...

In both cases, heroes player is not the one whose opinion matters... its the EA gamer population in first case, and monks in second.. and they both seem to be happy...

About those comments about whiners that secretly play the game... it was inspired by many forum members that deny even playing the game yet curiously find out new bug on every step :P... Personaly i was never able to find a bug in a game i dont play ... anyway, this part of post was just an opinion...

Rules are meant to be broken, but i dont think this rule is broken yet :) ... this is just an opinion as well ...
Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 20:48 by Ya5MieL

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 24 Nov 2006, 04:10

This was not so much a review as a reaction. A proper review sets forth what the developer was trying to accomplish and then evaluates how well is was done. You can't just say Lord of the Rings was a bad movie because you don't like fantasy. A good review should convey to player what the experience will be like and let the player decide whether that sounds good. Look at some of the excellent map reviews we have at CH and you'll see what a review should be.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Hammers Review at GameSpot

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Nov 2006, 04:43

Ya5MieL wrote:About those comments about whiners that secretly play the game... it was inspired by many forum members that deny even playing the game yet curiously find out new bug on every step :P... Personaly i was never able to find a bug in a game i dont play ... anyway, this part of post was just an opinion...
Really?Mind telling us who you are talking about,because I dont seem to remember anyone posting a bug that didnt say at some time that (s)he played the game.All I saw were people saying they didnt buy the game.Playing and buying are two completlly different things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Nov 2006, 11:39

Ya5MieL wrote:"happy monks that spend their whole life in monasteries..."
Those monks don't really affect what i can play, so i'm more then willing to let them do whateva' ... EA on the other hand...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 24 Nov 2006, 13:40

Point was that you cant argue with monks about their lifestyle, nor with EA about EA games, since your opinion is irrelevant as long as there is a critical mass of buyers that are happy with their product. As long as they have that critical mass, your opinion is worth nothing (at least to them).

If critical mass thinks a game is good, then it is marked as such.

Anyway... according to Treger's law, a person cant win an argument vs a group if all subjects are equaly positioned, so I'm gonna partake from this one... since it has become as pointless as whining about a good game :)

Ajd zivili! Cheers!

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 24 Nov 2006, 15:03

Campaigner wrote:Another review by someone who don't know what he's talking about....I hope people start to only read reviews by genre sites (TBS places when its about TBS games f.e) since normal reviewers have no clue.
And which site reviews only strategy or TBS games?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Nov 2006, 16:35

Ya5MieL wrote:"Anyway... according to Treger's law, a person cant win an argument vs a group if all subjects are equaly positioned"
That's where the 2nd amendament comes is (or whichever is about the guns). :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 25 Nov 2006, 00:22

not that I want to wade thru this to see if there is already mention of it, but:
I'm halfway through the second campain and the stupid hero is out of jail but won't join me... he becomes purple player and then I'm stuck. So there are some bugs in the game, which is a shame.
It's not a bug.

the purple hero stays there for a couple of days, then tries to head for the surface to the SW.

you need to make sure that path is clear (all stacks in the way of the ladder up are wiped out, and he has a clear path to the end of the road on the surface).

he NEVER joins you, but you do get a nice reward if you clear the way for him to escape.

camelotcrusade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby camelotcrusade » 25 Nov 2006, 00:34

Thanks for trying to help, Sir T... I guess I was not clear. I can't get past the objective called "Liberate the hero." When I liberate him, he's purple faction, my objective does NOT update, and the text I have says absolutely nothing about clearing a path - just to set him free (which I have done, twice). I will have to restart I think... I give up.

Really the only thing about HoF that I dislike... objectives that have time limits and aren't explicitly clear about the steps to take.

I've run into other unclear objectives - on the very first scenario, in fact, it tells you do something mystifying. I wish I could remember what it was... something about killing all the rebels but then not having any way to indicate what was a rebel and what was a random, unnecessary stack. I lost twice before I decided to kill every freaking thing that moved and somehow got past it.

Edited on Fri, Nov 24 2006, 17:41 by camelotcrusade

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Nov 2006, 02:40

Still no new review after the one on GameSpot. Critics are still recovering from the Thanksgiving week-end it seems. And meanwhile, HoF is stuck with a lousy average score of 64%. Let's hope it can get a few 8s.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Nov 2006, 02:54

mayhap that's because that's all it's worth AS? I don't know, I don't have it, but just putting it out there
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

magerette
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby magerette » 28 Nov 2006, 04:12

Did you notice Gamespot has that comparison thing; We say/ You say?

So "they say" 6.4, 127 readers say 8.6 . Obviously this guy just didn't get into the game.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Nov 2006, 04:42

that's not necessarily true, cause fans tend to rate the thing much higher even if they don't have the game!! It happens .... but it does show a few things

magerette
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby magerette » 28 Nov 2006, 05:33

I don't know stefan, sometimes fans can be the most critical of all--but you could be right about people voting without having played it. I won't be getting it til at least the first patch myself.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Nov 2006, 06:45

I feel the same way magerette .... the problem is that a lot of people who dislike it won't bother to rate it, whereas fans are more likely to, this, in general, will sway the vote somewhat

Gary007
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gary007 » 30 Nov 2006, 08:14

I haven't yet played through the first campaign, but here's my feelings from HOF. The first campaign is IMO boring, at least the first couple maps. The maps are nothing special and the only new thing is the slightly colored new troops. It might also have an affect that you are fighting for the "wrong cause". Now that I have met the dwarfes it is getting far more intresting. I also hope it stays that way. So at least I'd like to see new stuff already from the first maps.

Return to “News”