Hammers of Fate Review at GameSpot

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Hammers Review at GameSpot

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 12:32

Gaping_MAW wrote:It's personal opinion...IMHO H5 is the best looking by far. It's darn pleasant to sit in front of. The relative lack of objects isn't too bad (what do you expect in the tentative reinvention of a franchise), and the simplified spells works well, since you almost never used more than a handful of spells in H3 anyway.
A handful in HIII,yes.A handful in HIV,no.
Gaping_MAW wrote: What do you play for? I play HOMM5 for the 'heroes' feel of it.. a bit of adventure, a bit of RPG, a bit of turn based combat - H5 does all those in nice shiney graphics :) .. sure HOMM3+expansions had more objects/factions etc etc, but I know which one I prefer.
Well,I dont play HV,but the rest of the heroes I play because of the amazing story,exquisite blend of strategy and RPG,in a very nice fantasy setting,chalenging maps,beautifull creatures,interesting spells.
Gaping_MAW wrote: Your glass half empty nature is showing its ugly head again.
So because I think HV is not as pretty as previous instalments Im a pesimist? :|

Razeriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Hammers Review at GameSpot

Unread postby Razeriel » 23 Nov 2006, 13:18

"The dwarves themselves offer some neat new units like the bear rider and the magma dragon, but they lack any sort of hook to make them play in a markedly different manner than the other Heroes V factions"

Did he ever played HoF?! And the rune magic? And racial abilities? If it is not THAT, that allows to play them in a different manner, then I don't know what else can be more "different"...

Imo - his words up there are absurd.
Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 06:20 by Razeriel

hahakocka
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby hahakocka » 23 Nov 2006, 16:22

How can I switch the caravan, where can I found its button?

SageShadowbane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SageShadowbane » 23 Nov 2006, 16:24

I agree on most parts but seriously:

"The dwarves themselves offer some neat new units like the bear rider and the magma dragon, but they lack any sort of hook to make them play in a markedly different manner than the other Heroes V factions."

Didn't anyone tell this dork about the runes? D:
"I am the Purifier, the Light that clears all Shadows."

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 23 Nov 2006, 17:42

Even if the Dwarves didn't have the runes, I'd still want to play one.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 23 Nov 2006, 17:52

Finally, they got the grade they deserve. Hope that'll make them think harder.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 23 Nov 2006, 18:18

You're just Mr. Negativity today, aren't you?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Nov 2006, 19:03

The Mad Dragon wrote:"Even if the Dwarves didn't have the runes, I'd still want to play one."

Yeah, but you have some weird fetish for stocky little ppl. :tongue:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 23 Nov 2006, 19:12

I absolutely agree with Daemian Lucifer here. H5 is an average Heroes game. I get bored with playing it frequently; there is nothing to keep the gameplay exciting or new.

Nival tried to make a Heroes game based on the 'guaranteed' most successful/least controversial Heroes game thus far: Heroes III. I love H3 and H4, but the radical change in gameplay for H4 raised some controversy among Heroes gamers at first, so Nival stuck with H3. we must assume they tried to capture the thrill and meaning of playing H3 in H5.

Guess what? Nival missed. By a long shot. I consider Heroes 5 version .8 of Heroes III, because it has many H3 features, but is missing many things that H3 had that were great.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 23 Nov 2006, 19:44

ThunderTitan wrote:
The Mad Dragon wrote:"Even if the Dwarves didn't have the runes, I'd still want to play one."

Yeah, but you have some weird fetish for stocky little ppl. :tongue:
And your point is? :P

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 23 Nov 2006, 20:45

Bah,... cant recall which game had more whiners that secretly play the game whenever they can...

H5 is a good game and sales will confirm it..

Expansion was made to milk money.. and from a economical point of wiev its a smart move to have as much of them as possible, and even remove features from original to have them in expansion...

ONLY, and by only, i mean... ONLY!!! bad thing about h5 are bugs...

Of course, that is again, just an opinion... but i still bet many of those that bash H5 still play it more then they admit..

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 21:01

Ya5MieL wrote:Bah,... cant recall which game had more whiners that secretly play the game whenever they can...
Spying on people is illegal :devious:
Ya5MieL wrote: H5 is a good game and sales will confirm it..
Good sales dont mean good quality.EAs games,for example,usually sell good.
Ya5MieL wrote: Expansion was made to milk money.. and from a economical point of wiev its a smart move to have as much of them as possible, and even remove features from original to have them in expansion...
Economical point of view usually differs from the customers point of view.But if you like to be treated like dirt by corporations,go ahead.Your choice.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 23 Nov 2006, 21:17

Just want to double-comment: I think the patched H5 is rather good. And to those who miss the the good ol' heroes feel:

the H5remake of Might and Magic III, Isles of Terra map, is an excellent map! Very good fan-map-making is making the game so much better
Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 14:18 by Cleanpea

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 23 Nov 2006, 21:26

Another review by someone who don't know what he's talking about....I hope people start to only read reviews by genre sites (TBS places when its about TBS games f.e) since normal reviewers have no clue.

When I think about it, Herose V is not that bad in its own right, but if I would make a list on needed improvements, it would be the following:
  • A.I
  • Decrese of units speed/new type of battlefield
  • Difficulty lvls where Hard is cheatfree and A.I plays to best of its ability and on Heroic you start with nothing and the computer with 10.000 gold, 10 Wood and Ore and 5 of the rare ones. Also neutral stacks are 50% larger than on Hard and grows 100% per week
  • Various tweaks and fixes such as better modding support (look at Relic! And with better modding support we could fix most things ourselves), more efficient Sorcery skill (20%, 40% and 60% and with a new ability for Wizards that would allow you to cast two spells/abilities in one round for double the cost).
If all this was fixed, it would finally be better than Heroes II (And that is something I would be very wary of admitting).

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 23 Nov 2006, 22:41

Hmm...your version of hard would definately be hard. I don't know if I could cope, lol. I'm wary of going on hard myself right now.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 23 Nov 2006, 23:01

The Mad Dragon wrote:Hmm...your version of hard would definately be hard. I don't know if I could cope, lol. I'm wary of going on hard myself right now.
On hard the A.I pays I think 50% of what stuff costs so my version would be a walk in the park (but that's the devs problems since they didn't make the A.I good enough).

Heroic would be even easier then hard is now since they wouldn't get any 50% cost reduction. Only some starting money.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Nov 2006, 23:10

Ya5MieL wrote:Bah,... cant recall which game had more whiners that secretly play the game whenever they can...
You're completely wrong, my friend. I bought Heroes 5 when it was first released in May (I haven't bought the expansion as yet) and played it for about 2-3 months and haven't played it since (secretly or otherwise!) Heroes 5 isn't a bad game, it just doesn't have the right feel to it. Something is missing and I can't quite put my finger on it … but I like it okay … I just don't love it.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Gaping_MAW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaping_MAW » 23 Nov 2006, 23:15

Who cares if the whiners still secretly play it. I enjoy it, so do many others apparently (sales are good - much of that has to be referrals) :) Would be nice if the whiners stopped spending all their time on forums whining and either stopped playing or just leave everyone else to browse in peace.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 23 Nov 2006, 23:23

Well, exceptions only confirm the rule...

:))

Btw, i dont like corporations miliking money, but thats the way we accepted when we joined the capitalistic society... so dont blame companies, blame the system :P..

Goal is to sell game after all :)

And i think (though this is just a speculation) that they gained 2 new players for every hardcore fan they lost :)

In my opinion H5 is becoming better with every patch and addon,..

I wont comment on EA games, since im hater as well,... but people that buy their games every year are convinced that they are best games as well... and who are we (players that dont play EA games often) to argue. :)

Cheers!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 23:37

Ya5MieL wrote:Well, exceptions only confirm the rule...
Sure they do :rolleyes:
Ya5MieL wrote: Btw, i dont like corporations miliking money, but thats the way we accepted when we joined the capitalistic society... so dont blame companies, blame the system :P..
I did accept it,I was born in it against my will :devil:
Ya5MieL wrote: I wont comment on EA games, since im hater as well,... but people that buy their games every year are convinced that they are best games as well... and who are we (players that dont play EA games often) to argue. :)
Smart people :devious:

Return to “News”