Hammers of Fate Review at GameSpot

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Hammers of Fate Review at GameSpot

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Nov 2006, 01:31

Brett Todd of <a href="/http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/her ... ameSpot</a> played Hammers of Fate, and his impressions are on par with those of Greg Kasavin, who reviewed the original game. He criticizes Nival's decision to start the campaigns with Haven units ("what feels like outtakes from Heroes V") and points out the lack of challenge and the poor artificial intelligence.

"Yet even when the dwarves show up as a playable side in chapter two, the scenarios don't get any more interesting. The dwarves themselves offer some neat new units like the bear rider and the magma dragon, but they lack any sort of hook to make them play in a markedly different manner than the other Heroes V factions. Even worse, almost every one of the 15 campaign scenarios is a dull slog to clear a map."

On the good side, the author got caught in the action and found "an interesting retro feel that evokes Heroes III even more effectively than the original Heroes V." He enjoyed the new features such as the updated interface and the caravans, but recommends the game to the Heroes traditionalists mostly.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1164245508
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

camelotcrusade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Hammers Review at GameSpot

Unread postby camelotcrusade » 23 Nov 2006, 03:34

I thought he was a bit harsh... you could tell he had it out for this game from the start. Does he like to say that ALL expansions are repeats and re-hashes? Naturally it's going to repeat some content and I think he docked it too much for that. I think it deserves at least a 7.

I'm halfway through the second campain and the stupid hero is out of jail but won't join me... he becomes purple player and then I'm stuck. So there are some bugs in the game, which is a shame. The story is kind of neat, though, and I love the new runic magic. Very original!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Hammers Review at GameSpot

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Nov 2006, 04:02

camelotcrusade wrote:
I'm halfway through the second campain and the stupid hero is out of jail but won't join me... he becomes purple player and then I'm stuck. So there are some bugs in the game, which is a shame. The story is kind of neat, though, and I love the new runic magic. Very original!
Blah! Just when I was seriously thinking of buying Hammers. Well, if Nival can't even catch a big bug like the one you've described, then I guess Hammers of Fate is just more of the same! Glitchy & buggy unfinished crap!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 23 Nov 2006, 04:32

It could be just me but it seems he doesnt like tbs games in general again could be just me. As for his issue with the campaigns i cant blame him the only heroes campaigns I liked were the ones from heroes 4 so thats not a deciding factor to buy the game or not for me.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 04:36

Interesting.He seems to have a lot against the way heroes play in general.But I dont blame him,I do as well.Its more like a review of the whole franchise,with a short review of the actual expansion at the end.But its an expansion,and like one reviewer said once "How can you review an addition of just a few features in what is actually the same game you played a bit ago?".

Gaping_MAW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaping_MAW » 23 Nov 2006, 05:45

I've got it, seems pretty cool to me, but I mainly play for Hot-Seat multiplayer, so SP doesn't matter.

The review is a bit odd. maybe he didn't sleep well the night before and was a tad cranky? :)
Edited on Wed, Nov 22 2006, 22:46 by Gaping_MAW

HMMFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HMMFan » 23 Nov 2006, 05:56

Truly an example of unprincipled muddled writing. In nearly every sentence/paragraph, the reviewer contradicts himself. "The dwarves themselves offer some neat new units like the bear rider and the magma dragon, but they lack any sort of hook to make them play in a markedly different manner than the other Heroes V factions" Which is it - interesting or dull? "Even worse, almost every one of the 15 campaign scenarios is a dull slog to clear a map" Has he played this game before - every game is a game where you slog through a map. Whether you consider it dull or not depends on whether you like the Heroes games. "You can rarely get from Point A to Point B without the hassle of key hunts (well, keymaster hunts, at any rate), portals, shortcuts through caverns, and so forth." Same comment as before. This is an example of unprincipled writing because the author's distaste for these types of games is manifest.

"As in the original Heroes V, rival factions in Hammers of Fate aren't very hard on you. The computer fights pretty good battles when you get to the tactical screen, but they often barely even recognize that you're there on the main map. In many scenarios, you can wipe out neutral factions without much of a fight. Enemies will occasionally sally forth to retake captured mines, mills, and the like if you leave them without garrisons, but they're usually more concerned about the ownership of these resource-producing facilities than about the huge army marching down the road to besiege their town." Umm, huh? So, the enemy AI captures sources and tries to fight you and puts up a pretty goo d fight, but if you develop a huge army it will eventually lose. So, what does the reviewer want? Even more bizarre is this statement: "Yet despite all of the above, it's easy to get caught up in the repetitive action and play the game for hours at a time." which is followed in th next paragraph by "Little else about the expansion is all that memorable, save for a few interface changes that make the game more playable." So, despite this author's obvious disllike of TBS, he managed to find himself enthralled enough to play the game for hours, but in the end concludes there is nothing memorable of the game.

All in all, what a complete waste of time to read. Completely illogical review as the reviewer contradicts himself one paragraph to the next, and sometimes even in the same sentence. In the end, it seems like he gives an average score because he read through his review and could not make consistent his various contradictory remarks. Insincere review. If he doesn't like it, come out and say that. Whata sissy.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 06:14

HMMFan wrote:Has he played this game before - every game is a game where you slog through a map. Whether you consider it dull or not depends on whether you like the Heroes games.
That is so not true.First map of inferno you have to run from the pursuit,and not just clear the map of anything that moves.Second one you race against an enemy towards a certain hero.There are lots of examples of maps like that.He didnt say a slog through a map but a slog to clear the map.Big difference.
HMMFan wrote: Same comment as before. This is an example of unprincipled writing because the author's distaste for these types of games is manifest.
Again so wrong.I love heroes,for example,but am lots of times bored by its constraints and narrow paths.So when I say something like "I hate it that you cant thread through woods"(which I did say lots of times),does that mean I dislike these types of games?
HMMFan wrote: Umm, huh? So, the enemy AI captures sources and tries to fight you and puts up a pretty goo d fight, but if you develop a huge army it will eventually lose. So, what does the reviewer want?
Completelly missread.The AI is known for simply ignoring that army of yours so he can pick up something,and you can roam freely while he does.And thats what the reviewer said.
HMMFan wrote: Even more bizarre is this statement: "Yet despite all of the above, it's easy to get caught up in the repetitive action and play the game for hours at a time." which is followed in th next paragraph by "Little else about the expansion is all that memorable, save for a few interface changes that make the game more playable." So, despite this author's obvious disllike of TBS, he managed to find himself enthralled enough to play the game for hours, but in the end concludes there is nothing memorable of the game.
I spent lots of hours playing HV,even though I trashed it from even before it came out.Why did I do that?Because I hate TBS?No,its because I love TBS,especially the heroes series,but I found the fifth part lacking.I can also list you a bunch of things that pissed me off so much in HIII and HIV,yet I spent(and am spending)countless hours playing those.The fact I love the game doesnt mean that I find it perfect or that I dont see things that should be improved.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 23 Nov 2006, 07:16

That is very well put DL. It's the best put you've had in a year:)

HMMFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HMMFan » 23 Nov 2006, 07:17

LOL..As usual, I disagree with you completely, DM. Slogging through a map..The beauty of Heroes is that you can choose to slog throug amap or not...your choice. However, this reviewer did not distinguish between maps. I find it amusing that you give credit to Nival's map design in H5 while managing to ding them constantly. With respect to the author's distatste for this expansion, his comments could and would equally apply to ALL of the Heroes games. So, in other words, yes, it may mean that you dislike these games with their common constraints. (Note that Age of Wodners had somilar geographical constraints.) AI behavour? Well, suree the AI is not hooked up to a Cray, but you are being disingenuous. You are not arguiing his point. He complains that the AI will try to recapture respurces while not doing anything to stop the huge army in its area. What exactly do you do when a huge army approaches? Well, I turtle in my castle hoping that i will save the day. But if cornered, the AI puts up a pretty goofd fight. Well, sheesh, that blows, eh? As to the reviewer's conclusion, it is illogical. Do you really spend hours of your time playing game you don't find fun? Well, according to this reviewer, he does. My point was that he should have rated the game much lower and removed the positive statements in his review.

So, anyone left at this fansite that likes H5?
Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 00:19 by HMMFan

Mamoru-kun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mamoru-kun » 23 Nov 2006, 07:40

Play H5 in heroic mode, and the challenge you'll have will prevent you to think about others'thoughts, especially reviewers who -have- to play the game, liking it or not ;-)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 07:43

HMMFan wrote:LOL..As usual, I disagree with you completely, DM. Slogging through a map..The beauty of Heroes is that you can choose to slog throug amap or not...your choice.
No,it depends on the map first,and then on your choice.You cannot slog through C2M1,because if you do,youll loose.
HMMFan wrote: However, this reviewer did not distinguish between maps.
He just said that most of the campaign maps are just without restrains clear everything maps.If that is correct,than its a shame,because one of the good things in HV is that it had various maps.Again,if that is true.If not,then(and only then)your argument may be valid.
HMMFan wrote: I find it amusing that you give credit to Nival's map design in H5 while managing to ding them constantly.
I dont like the game as a whole,but I do think there are good things in it.Some maps are really nicely made,I love the initiative system(although not the numbers),I like the racial specials,etc.Unlike some people that bashed HIV and everything it brought,I see the good points in HV,and wouldnt like them to be removed from the future expansions(unless replaced with something even better).I even did defend the logic behind raise dead and resurrection nerfs.
HMMFan wrote: With respect to the author's distatste for this expansion, his comments could and would equally apply to ALL of the Heroes games. So, in other words, yes, it may mean that you dislike these games with their common constraints. (Note that Age of Wodners had somilar geographical constraints.)
Yes,they can apply to all heroes games,but that doesnt mean he hates all previous sequels.For example I hate chaining,unflagable windmills,unstackable dwellings,bland heroes description,magic available to all,exactly one upgrade per creature,dragons as top in most of the towns,etc.Does that mean I hate HIII?Hell no!I love the game.However,I find HV average at best.
HMMFan wrote: AI behavour? Well, suree the AI is not hooked up to a Cray, but you are being disingenuous. You are not arguiing his point. He complains that the AI will try to recapture respurces while not doing anything to stop the huge army in its area. What exactly do you do when a huge army approaches? Well, I turtle in my castle hoping that i will save the day. But if cornered, the AI puts up a pretty goofd fight. Well, sheesh, that blows, eh? As to the reviewer's conclusion, it is illogical.
You are so wrong here.Even if he has an army to match yours,or even a stronger one,AI will send his main hero to reclaim a mine while the town will be defended by a pityfull weeks population of tier 1 creatures.And thats what the reviewer complained about.You still think hes wrong to complain about that?
HMMFan wrote: Do you really spend hours of your time playing game you don't find fun? Well, according to this reviewer, he does.
I did too.I played HV for hours.Even went back to it,though it required an enormous effort of will.Why?Because I love the series and simply couldnt accept that there is a bad sequel in the series.
HMMFan wrote: My point was that he should have rated the game much lower and removed the positive statements in his review.
I complain even more than him about the game,yet I too would give the game a grade around 6.Why?Because 4-6 is an average grade,and HV is average,IMO.You might wonder why I complain about it so much then.Simple,because all of the other heroes titles get 9+ for me.

alx516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alx516 » 23 Nov 2006, 09:56

First of all ... a review is just somebody's opinion. I for one love H3SOD but hate H3WOG ! The reason is that i bealive that Heroes 3 reached it's perfect status when SOD came on the market. Heroes 5 is so beautiful, let's face it. It has the look that Heroes 3 needed, but in the end it won't be as sucessfull as H3, beacause of the multiplayer. Being in full 3D is a problem for multiplayer, can you remember in H3 where in a small area of the map the Random generator created 5 utopias next to each other and 15-20 level 7 creatures ?

This is impossible now ... beacause it would fill half the map.

And by the way ... am I the only one who hates the new RMG ?

1. Can't choose your castle or hero

2. Strange maps are created (the computer is near your home town)

3. Why use a map editor to create a random map ?

I miss H3 Random Map Editor ... :((

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 10:05

alx516 wrote:Heroes 5 is so beautiful, let's face it. It has the look that Heroes 3 needed
Thats not what evolution polls are saying :devious:

viewtopic.php?t=3022

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 23 Nov 2006, 10:31

I hate reviewers.......so much...

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 23 Nov 2006, 10:46

I am not sure with review I like less: this one or the one that was published for H5 before few days.

As far as I see, he complains at HoMM gameplay in genereal. While I agree that many things could be added to change it, I think that beauty of every HoMM game is that what he trashed: clearing the map. Tough I love misions like the first Inferno one, I enjoj the normal, straithforward ones too.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

alx516
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alx516 » 23 Nov 2006, 10:49

It's more to a game than just the creatures ... you mean to say that the adventure map in H3 looks better that H5 (mountains, trees, snow), the game looks beautiful, this is what we all must agree.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 23 Nov 2006, 10:58

French site Gamekult reviewed HoF and gave it a 7/10. They liked the expansion, but as the reviewer says "You can't help but think that the "new" stuff, with the exception of the dwarves, could have been included in the original game..."

http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiche ... _test.html
Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 03:58 by Marzhin
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Nov 2006, 12:05

alx516 wrote:It's more to a game than just the creatures ... you mean to say that the adventure map in H3 looks better that H5 (mountains, trees, snow), the game looks beautiful, this is what we all must agree.
But the adventure map isnt the only thing either.While it is prettier than the previous ones,the rest(battlefields,cratures,heroes and towns)arent.3D and shiney doesnt mean better.There is much about the style.Plus,lets not forget the number of objects on the adventure map.Though nicer,there are much fewer of them.Same goes for spells.Though their effects are prettier,there are much fewer of them.So saying that HV is the best looking one overal isnt true.

Gaping_MAW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaping_MAW » 23 Nov 2006, 12:20

It's personal opinion...IMHO H5 is the best looking by far. It's darn pleasant to sit in front of. The relative lack of objects isn't too bad (what do you expect in the tentative reinvention of a franchise), and the simplified spells works well, since you almost never used more than a handful of spells in H3 anyway.

What do you play for? I play HOMM5 for the 'heroes' feel of it.. a bit of adventure, a bit of RPG, a bit of turn based combat - H5 does all those in nice shiney graphics :) .. sure HOMM3+expansions had more objects/factions etc etc, but I know which one I prefer.

Your glass half empty nature is showing its ugly head again.
Edited on Thu, Nov 23 2006, 05:22 by Gaping_MAW

Return to “News”