Fabrice Q&A - the Expansion and the Future

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Re: Q&A: the Expansion and the Future

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Nov 2006, 20:53

Justice wrote:Found two of them the news supression act viewtopic.php?t=730

and the deomo is out! the deom is out! viewtopic.php?t=1351&start=120
Ah, thanks! I love going through the news archives. We had a couple of big news threads on the old site and forum, some of which are listed in the Hall of Fame sticky.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Nov 2006, 22:09

Gaidal Cain wrote: I know for a fact that Fabrice has checked in on the bug thread here. Though he did say something along the lines of "most is already fixed". I don't know if I can agree, but then again, not many people report in if a thing has been fixed.
When on that subject,you havent cleared that one in...very long time.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 15 Nov 2006, 00:50

Quote from KingImp:

Idiots, huh? Yeah, there haven't been tons of good feedback on both bugs and suggestions. But, that's okay, they don't read them (as proven by what he just told Chuck) so we've basically just been trying to help for no reason then.

But then again, I forgot. Unless the feedback comes from Fabrice's precious secret group (the "yes men"), then all other suggestions aren't worth the time and effort to listen to.

End Quote from KingImp

I never said he doesn't EVER look at those forums. I'm sure he drops by occasionally, but he's got lots of things on his plate. And he very bluntly stated that they don't have anyone who patrols the boards looking for bug-posts. He simply said that posting bug reports & suggestions on the forums isn't the most EFFICIENT way of submitting them. It's more efficient to send them directly to him. Clearer?

As for the "yes men" comment. I resent that. I certainly don't agree with him all the time. I've disagreed with him VERY often. What that "inner circle" does is provide a very important function. Instead of Fabrice having to filter through THOUSANDS of individual fan comments/complaints/requests from other sites & forums, these select individuals help gather the pertinent information for him and makes the process run smoother as well as by giving him feedback about the game and ideas from a fan's perspective (but as I already said, he WILL listen and read individual requests if they're sent to him DIRECTLY). People like Angelspit, myself, Alderbranch (mod on official forum), Jolly Joker, and others. For the most part, we're all very knowledgable about the heroes series and we're representing the interests of the FANS not Ubisoft (whether you believe that or not KingImp). So, please, in the future don't insult us unless you have intimate knowledge of what in the heck you're talking about. Because there's tons of stuff that we discuss that doesn't get revealed outside of that circle (due to privacy/non-disclosure agreements and such). So ease off. Okay?
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

HMMFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Q&A: the Expansion and the Future

Unread postby HMMFan » 15 Nov 2006, 02:12

Echo chamber, Sir Charles, echo chamber.... it won't do any good.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Nov 2006, 03:01

Sir Charles wrote: I never said he doesn't EVER look at those forums.
Oh really?Must be someone else that wrote this then:
Sir Charles wrote: No, of course I don't. But again, those aren't the same people working on those two items most likely. As to whether it was fixed or not...I don't know. I'm currently replaying the campaigns right now. But I'm only in Haven's. And while that bug was probably mentioned on this forum...was it ever submitted to Nival? That's the key here. Nival doesn't visit this forum that I'm aware of.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 15 Nov 2006, 04:22

No, I wrote that. But did YOU read it? It said that Nival doesn't visit the forums that I'm aware of. Fabrice isn't NIVAL. He doesn't work for or at Nival. Totally different things there. I've known all along that Fabrice visits the forums. I know it's not very often however (compared to actual forum posters), but as for the Nival folks....I simply don't know if they do or not.
Edited on Tue, Nov 14 2006, 21:24 by Sir Charles
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Gaping_MAW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gaping_MAW » 15 Nov 2006, 05:13

its this kind of thread that spawns forum nazis and punches holes in the space time continuum. :) Perhaps some ruthless moderation would be of benefit (ala Relic forums style)

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 15 Nov 2006, 10:25

ThunderTitan wrote:So you're saying that only Nival's russian forum is intelligent? Coz according to them it's the only place they take ideas from.
No relation to anything. I only said what I would do myself if my companys official forum was inhabited by clueless people.
And if what I've heard so far about that place is true (regard Heroes V a masterpiece f.e) then my thoughts of that place isn't very high....

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 15 Nov 2006, 10:38

Then maybe Sir Charles, you can do some of a big favor. Ask Fabrice if they can perhaps put some original tier 7 creatures into the game? Not just more dragons? Personally I think H5 holds some glimmer of a germ of a good thing, but there is quite a bit that needs improved. Shiny (graphics) is all well and good but there are problems that continue to be problems. I can make a list if you really want. The biggest seem to be creativity, originality, and crashes. I realize that it is not exactly easy to make a game. Lots goes into it. I know I personally could not do it. The crashes, memory leaks, and lack of creative ideas is dimming hope that the series will be salvagable and not just a cash cow franchise. Nothing wrong with making money mind you. Yes patch 1.4 was a step in the right direction, but on larger maps even top of the line computers crash. When you have games like Elder Scrolls IV which is epic in scope not crashing and something a little more..simple crashing (meaning that there is a bunch more complex issues in Elder Scroll) there is something wrong.

Oh and how about listing this email and or other way to contact Fabrice...I know I for one would be interested.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 15 Nov 2006, 12:34

Well i have read this 9 pages of nearly point less drivell! What people seem to forget is that people have diffract opinions. Sir charls dies a little when his forced to see im right! And i well have a hard time accepting his right but there is respect in the way we disagree. So dont force youre views on others, point out what you belive,and accsept that at one point you just disagree.

Dose fc read the forums yes but not this thread but hes keeping updated on everything that is going on in the comuntey so he know what you all feel! And I know for a fact that his ignoring people who are just whining (like many are her).

So is it whining if you dont like h5? No its not, but its how you say it. I dont like how the mp is working i know that fc knows this, because i made a mather off fact post about it. I also believe there are many other points where the game can improve. And if you make a constructive post on youre ides they will be noted by fc. That dose not mean he will do anything about it. And him not doing somthing is not the same things as he not caring.

If you want to continue whining feel free if it makes you feel happier! If you want to improve the game get youre ackt togheter and start to make posts where you express youre views in a manerd and intligent way.

There is a diffrance between what you believe should be in, and what the next man believes should be in. There is also a big diffrance between a bug and a function working in way you dont like!

Make a inteligent post and fc read them, and you might give him an ide.
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

Wurtzel
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wurtzel » 15 Nov 2006, 17:32

Well spoken Znork...
I THINK SO THEREFORE I AM

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Nov 2006, 18:18

"Make a inteligent post and fc read them, and you might give him an idea."

Are we back on this again? I'm gonna go against my spamming nature and not point out something.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 15 Nov 2006, 18:30

Yes yes, it got boring to rewrite same ideas again and again, but it can`t be justified in such way.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 15 Nov 2006, 19:37

Quote by Mytical:

Then maybe Sir Charles, you can do some of a big favor. Ask Fabrice if they can perhaps put some original tier 7 creatures into the game? Not just more dragons? Personally I think H5 holds some glimmer of a germ of a good thing, but there is quite a bit that needs improved. Shiny (graphics) is all well and good but there are problems that continue to be problems. I can make a list if you really want. The biggest seem to be creativity, originality, and crashes. I realize that it is not exactly easy to make a game. Lots goes into it. I know I personally could not do it. The crashes, memory leaks, and lack of creative ideas is dimming hope that the series will be salvagable and not just a cash cow franchise. Nothing wrong with making money mind you. Yes patch 1.4 was a step in the right direction, but on larger maps even top of the line computers crash. When you have games like Elder Scrolls IV which is epic in scope not crashing and something a little more..simple crashing (meaning that there is a bunch more complex issues in Elder Scroll) there is something wrong.

Oh and how about listing this email and or other way to contact Fabrice...I know I for one would be interested.

End Quote by Mytical

As for contacting him...just PM him on the official boards. MaudDib.

As for the level 7 units....let me see here. We've got Titans, Archangels, ArchDevils, Phoenix's and Dragons. Considering the fact that the over-riding storyline is based upon the worshiping of the Dragon patriarchs....I actually expected to see more than one or two Dragons. I personally don't see any dire need to remove any of the Dragons. But feel free to put forth your suggestion to him.

Something to remember about originality in the initial venture into the Heroes series. They need to try to re-establish a foothold on the past of the series and setup a solid foundation before REALLY adding in new and unique twists to the game. Huge leaps in designs and concepts are VERY risky in an initial game release. H6 will allow for much more flexibility in this regard.

Concerning crashes...I haven't had a single one in all the hours I've played. So you're talking to the wrong person on that subject. But if you've got specifics...let him know so he can alert Nival to investigate.

Concerning Memory Leaks...are there still any? I thought those were all removed back in the second (or first) patch. But regardless...same holds true for those. Let him know.

I'm also curious to know whether the people who experience crashes are above the recommended specs and if they're running any mods (or modded maps). That could be a clue into the re-occurance. I'm no techie, I'm just brainstorming here. :O)

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 15 Nov 2006, 19:52

Sir Charles wrote:
I never said he doesn't EVER look at those forums. I'm sure he drops by occasionally, but he's got lots of things on his plate. And he very bluntly stated that they don't have anyone who patrols the boards looking for bug-posts. He simply said that posting bug reports & suggestions on the forums isn't the most EFFICIENT way of submitting them. It's more efficient to send them directly to him. Clearer?

So, he doesn't have the time to read and keep track of the actual bugs and suggestions thread, but he would have the time to go through a ton of e-mails and private messages if we all bombarded him as much as has been posted in those threads? Yeah, that makes sense.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Nov 2006, 19:57

"I actually expected to see more than one or two Dragons."
It's not the number, it's the % that's the problem. And why can only the Light and Chaos dragon be original enough to have servants that don't lok exactly like them?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 15 Nov 2006, 20:12

quote by King Imp:

So, he doesn't have the time to read and keep track of the actual bugs and suggestions thread, but he would have the time to go through a ton of e-mails and private messages if we all bombarded him as much as has been posted in those threads? Yeah, that makes sense.

End quote by King Imp

Ever think that maybe he doesn't want to sift through the tons of garbage on those forums? I know *I* sure don't. Tons of it is repeated stuff. Lots more is stuff like old drivers, systems not up to spec, and other individual PC related stuff. Not to mention the fact that if he ever wanted to ask a question to the person who posted on the bug-thread there's a good posibility that they're long gone. Simply put, that forum is a nightmare to actually find a cohearant thought. Heck, just look at the thread here on CH...it's nicely color-coded so you know what's been fixed and what hasn't. However, its not really updated, lots of it doesn't take updated patches into account, and many are still listed that were fixed long ago. I can't speak as to his reasoning, just re-iterate the fact that he's stated that the most EFFICIENT way to submit a bug is to PM him directly.

Quote by ThunderTitan:

It's not the number, it's the % that's the problem. And why can only the Light and Chaos dragon be original enough to have servants that don't lok exactly like them?

End Quote by ThunderTitan

*sigh* Okay, first off...have you actually SEEN the dragon patriarchs before? How do you know what they do and don't look like? But I digress. Their servants aren't only the level 7 units. It's the ENTIRE faction. So each Dragon Patriarch has a VERY diverse following IMO. But that's obviously not going to satisfy you. So what in the heck do you really want? You want an Angel, a devil, a behemoth, a phoenix, a hydra, a titan and a dragon. No repetition, no crossover in any way shape or form. Correct? What about the humans in the Haven. Aren't they repetitive? What about the demon-based units? What about the dwarves? The Elves? There's only so much diversity you can have and still make the units recognizable to the buying public. Did you ever think that maybe there are some customers out there who wouldn't buy a game with a jumble of troops? Maybe they LIKE the idea of towns being based around races/factions instead of the mix-n-match ones we got from NWC (Dungeon comes to mind here). Having towns based upon races makes it easier to form a cohearant storyline. It gives the units some reason for coming together and forming a community. But all you see is 4 dragons. *rolls eyes*

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 15 Nov 2006, 20:17

And what exactly would be the difference between sifting through tons of "garbage" (in quotations because unlike what some people think, there have been tons of good feedback there) in one thread vs. sifting through tons of "garbage" each individually sent through e-mail or PM?

Sorry, but I'd be more inclined to read one thread than hundreds of e-mails.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Nov 2006, 20:18

Sir Charles wrote: As for the level 7 units....let me see here. We've got Titans, Archangels, ArchDevils, Phoenix's and Dragons. Considering the fact that the over-riding storyline is based upon the worshiping of the Dragon patriarchs....I actually expected to see more than one or two Dragons. I personally don't see any dire need to remove any of the Dragons. But feel free to put forth your suggestion to him.
3 dragons out of 6 top tier creatures is more than enough.4 out of 7 is simply ridiculous.Like TT says,its the percentage that matters,not the actual number.Besides,so what if dragons are their gods?That doesnt mean that every top creature has to be a dragon.
Sir Charles wrote: Something to remember about originality in the initial venture into the Heroes series. They need to try to re-establish a foothold on the past of the series and setup a solid foundation before REALLY adding in new and unique twists to the game. Huge leaps in designs and concepts are VERY risky in an initial game release. H6 will allow for much more flexibility in this regard.
Please,they could easilly be more original without leaving the boundaries of heroes universe.Behemots,for example,fit the dwarves perfectly.
Sir Charles wrote:What about the humans in the Haven. Aren't they repetitive?
Yes they are.The most boring faction ever.I said that millions of times.
Sir Charles wrote: What about the demon-based units? What about the dwarves? The Elves?
Yup,boring as hell to have 7 elves in the game.Again,said that millions of times.Also I said that its extremly dull that all necro units look like animated humans(except for the dragons).Why not make a zombie an undead dwarf,a vampire could be an elf,wraith could be an undead devil.Much better that way.As for demons,they are the only faction that has a small breath of fresh air in them.The rest are just plain boring.
Sir Charles wrote: There's only so much diversity you can have and still make the units recognizable to the buying public. Did you ever think that maybe there are some customers out there who wouldn't buy a game with a jumble of troops? Maybe they LIKE the idea of towns being based around races/factions instead of the mix-n-match ones we got from NWC (Dungeon comes to mind here). Having towns based upon races makes it easier to form a cohearant storyline. It gives the units some reason for coming together and forming a community. But all you see is 4 dragons. *rolls eyes*
Check the sales of HIII,a game with completelly jumbled creatures.Check the threads and youll find hundreds of "Why cant we have more diversity like in HIII" posts.I agree that unity through race is nice,but having 7 elves,6 dwarves and zillion humans is just dull.Not to mention that every other top tier is a "this and that" dragon.And two of them are just the same creature with a different skin.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 15 Nov 2006, 20:37

@ KingImp

I have no idea what the difference would be. Ask HIM. I know fully well that there are some good posts on the bug forum. But YOU know fully well that there are some ridiculous ones too. And I keep having to reiterate this part....it's dependant upon the patch version number. The vast majority of the posts in the bug forum don't even mention what version of the game they're running. So instead of sifting through old material, how about we focus on what's actually still broken in the game. I could easily find dozens of posts in that forum commenting on the extra "t" in enough....but is that relavent. No. Because it's been fixed. Maybe if they completely erased all the posts in the bug forum and started from scratch it'd be worthwile sifting through it. But as it is...you've got to run a diagnostic test just to see if the d@mned bug they posted about has already been addressed or not. So, if you've got a bug with the current patch version...let him know. Otherwise, what are you worried about?

@ DaemianLucifer

Like TT says it's the percentage that matters. Who the h&ll says so? Where did that law come from? Those points you make can easily be turned on their heads and still make sence...heck, they make MORE sence. And you still state "that doesn't mean that every top creature has to be a dragon". Quit exagerating. They AREN'T all dragons.

So 3 out of 6 is acceptable, but one additional one puts it into "ridiculous" status? *shakes his head in wonderment* This is exactly the type of fixation I was referring to the other day. Why isn't everyone complaining about the fact that every town has a ranged attacking unit? Why can't we have some originality and diversity? *sarcasm if you didn't notice*

And as for Behemoths "fitting the dwarves perfectly". How so? Is it because they're a fire-based town that lives near the center of a volcano? Yep, a big furry beast fits in there perfectly. *rolls eyes* Now before you step up and say they're a snow town and they've got woolymammoths so why not behemoths...recall the fact that they domesticated the mammoths after they left their homes. The fire dragon fits in more with the theme of the town and with the location of their town. Could they have gone with some OTHER fire-based creature? Sure, but they chose a dragon. The dragons are the gods in this world. Doesn't it make sence for these gods to align themselves with beings most like themselves? Your reasoning is solely based upon your personal preferances. Mine has some actual thought and rational behind it. Agree or disagree...it won't change the facts. The storyline DOES hold some bearing on the design of the factions.

Return to “News”