Gamespot Reviews Dark Messiah

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 27 Oct 2006, 15:23

<a href="/http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/darkm ... amespot</a> reviews Dark Messiah and is less than thrilled about it. Their main complaint stems from glitches and the like.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1161962609
Hell has frozen over...

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 27 Oct 2006, 16:54

Easily predictable, given the buggy horrendous demo and the RIDICOLOUS hd space required (by both demo & retail)

Poor M&M franchise....
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 27 Oct 2006, 17:15

There are some things you should take in account before seriously taking this review:

[1] The reviewer mostly reviews console games and very rarely - PC games. Guys, who previewed the game, didn't review it.

[2] Half-Life 2 for graphics got a 10 while Dark Messiah - 7, both using Source engine. Talk about objectivity.

[3] Average grade of players at Gamespot right now is 8.9 with over 500 votes.

[4] Forums at Gamespot are burned down with complaints about this review being silly. A clear majority think that the game has been ridicuously underrated.

[5] Average votes of other remarkable gaming sites is 8.5.

[6] The reviewer as the only satisfying thing in the game found the death animations - this is not serious to say the least.

Etcetera, I could continue this list.

So relax and let's wait for other major reviews - I don't even have a doubt a clear majority of them will be 8.5 or more, and Gamespot will remain in total minority. Don't let you fool by one dumb review and better read what players say! BTW, Arkane is fully aware of the problems and seems to have assigned a tech guy for official forum to help people, meanwhile the game producer posted as well. Stay positive and give it some time. :)

murmurwoods
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby murmurwoods » 27 Oct 2006, 17:24

Eek i was looking at the wrong chart, sorry:

"As of this moment, Dark Messiah is Gamespot's Overall #1 game. Yet one of their headlines reads: "Dark Messiah...in the end doesn't really do much to stand out". LOL. Gamespot has indeed gone nuts."
Edited on Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:54 by murmurwoods

murmurwoods
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby murmurwoods » 27 Oct 2006, 17:29

Oh, and I just found out that the guy who reviewed this game gave Tony Hawk 3 a 10. Figures.
Edited on Fri, Oct 27 2006, 11:35 by murmurwoods

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 27 Oct 2006, 17:29

It's just opinions....

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Oct 2006, 17:46

Some people are frustrated because GameSpot is one of the most prestigious site for reviews, and lots of people will skip the game because of that article alone. But let's see what the other sites have to say.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Oct 2006, 18:18

Honestly,this is one of the silliest reviews Ive read in a long time.On par with all those glorifying HV reviews.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 27 Oct 2006, 19:01

>Yup, Good review is often good sales. But if 500 of the readers disagree, and all other reviewers rate it high, I don't understand the fuzz - if reviewers can't state their opinion, we will have to trust the people who publish the games- and they are always positive to their own games. I bet now(hopefully), the Arkane team will be even more engaged in fixing the issues mentioned.

Besides, I agree with a lot of these complains, it wasn't exactly an über-exprience to play the demo!

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 27 Oct 2006, 19:05

Scr*w gamespot. It gave H5 - 8.2 !! Which is to high. Moreover it gave H2 8.2 too!! Which is too low.

Yeah .. and they proved that they are not objective.

(GS about H5)

>>Overall, the game's AI is pretty good

Lol

JessieLC
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JessieLC » 27 Oct 2006, 20:19

For the people who like the SM&M Series its just a number............but for those who have not played any of the M & M Series it tells them Don't Bother or look further for info about the game! A Good Review is only as Good as the Reviewer...............and Many Games that got high numbers or Great Reviews were the pits to play!

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 27 Oct 2006, 20:26

This review annoys the crap out of me. The demo was a blast and I am playing the game without question.

He says the physics are 'okay', but they start to overlap when certain situations arise. But seriously, what do you expect? The physics are amazing as it is, you can fool around forever trying different things out, it is only a video game, and its gonna do what its programmed to do.

This guy also says that 'you never get the feel that Sareth is getting stronger'. BS. Even in the demo you can get new types of attacks and magic spells that even this dork admits get stronger as the game progresses. What a moron.

Let's see some special skills from the demo alone: Disarm, Backstab, you can learn to zoom in with the bow, there is an attack that lets you hit all enemies around called Tornado Attack or something, there is an ability that makes your steps quieter for stealth, there is also a stealth ability, and you can improve your bow reload time. That statement is totally not true. In addition, you can improve your abilities three times each, each time gives new a new bonus, which I think this guy says is not true.

It seems to me he also hints that their aren't enough weapons/weapon types in DM, but it is no different in any FPS. Sword, Bow, Staff, Dagger, Magic Spells, that's pretty good in itself. In other FPS, there are a set amount of weapons that someone can get, and that's it. You can get a better version of a gun in a shooter, but you may not always be able to improve it, so I don't see how this guy can say its bad in DM.

He says the graphics are good. Just good.

You're NUTS. The graphics are AWESOME.

I keep hearing the mention of bugs. I never encountered ANY bugs or glitches while playing the demo. That doesn't mean they aren't there, but two hours of playing the demo and loading and saving games usually would draw out some sort of bug if there was one there.

If he gave H5 an 8.2, DM should get a 15. I played the H5 demo and the H5 Beta, and I was not impressed with either one, also considering H5 had TONS more bugs and glitches than DM had in its DEMO.

This guy is a lunatic, I give no more credit to any of his reviews from now until..............forever.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

JessieLC
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JessieLC » 27 Oct 2006, 20:27

Just checked the Gamespy site...............they posted a Pre-Review review..........they say single player is lacking but Multiplayer is solid...........they give it a Wait and See!!! So they too saw the problems but see a good game that needs tweaking..........probably being realeased alittle too soon to be a Polished game!

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Oct 2006, 21:19

If the developers wanted a higher rating from Gamespot, they would have changed the title to Final Fantasy: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 28 Oct 2006, 00:03

IGN has a 3 page review giving DM an 8.8 rating.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/741/741956p1.html
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 28 Oct 2006, 00:45

Ha, as if the 'Might and Magic' part didn't fulfill that objective as it is.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 Oct 2006, 00:10

not a good start, but then maybe this reviewer forgot to take his meds
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Oct 2006, 05:29

Or he found out he is going to be fired,so he decided to revenge himself :devious:

WretchedGnu
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby WretchedGnu » 01 Nov 2006, 02:59

I don't know... To me, any first-person shooter/hacker game is going to get repetetive and boring very quicky, so the reviewer's complaint in that regard doesn't surprise me. And the repetition of the game *was* his central complaint -- not the games "glitches" as this site misleadingly suggests....

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Nov 2006, 03:21

I understand that you said it was your opinion, but there are many thousands that invest massive hours into FPS's that would disagree that it's repetitive and boring .... take Quake ][, UT and UT 2004 - for me I invested many, many hours and that wouldna happened if I found it boring .... so yeah
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “News”