Heroes on TV: X-Play Review

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Oct 2006, 00:59

Thanks to ambivalentvince in the official forum who links to the <a href="/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAjiAk1HKsc">X-Play review of Heroes of Might and Magic V</a>, which originally aired in June. The game received a rating of 3 out of 5 from the lovely Morgan Webb:

<center><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KAjiAk1HKsc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="/http://www.youtube.com/v/KAjiAk1HKsc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object></center>

I will confess that the fart noises that were added to the cutscenes made me giggle like a little girl. It just seemed... appropriate, for some strange reason.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1161651557
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

atma6
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby atma6 » 24 Oct 2006, 01:11

I have to say I've never watched that show, and I'm very very glad about that. Yes we'll point out the most minor problems, but we'll spend a lot of time calling the color scheme a gay pride parade and making fart noises.

Really, they complained about the loadtimes, and their example loaded in about 2 seconds.

kingcranium14
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby kingcranium14 » 24 Oct 2006, 02:37

That was terrible! They complain about the littlest things! Who cares about leprechauns or if the devil looks slightly like a balrog? - which it doesn't! That was the stupidest review I've ever watched and I'll never watch that show again.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 24 Oct 2006, 03:24

well it is tv review, it is not meant to be exhaustive, rather pertinent and funny which is was .. or almost
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 24 Oct 2006, 07:30

That was...silly.And really shallow.Obviously they had never played heroes before.Impressed by a leprechaun?Talk about ripoffs?Bored to death?Wow flying griffins!Yay!
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 24 Oct 2006, 07:45

Most of you don't watch X-Play much huh? They do this to every game they review, even if they give it a 5 out of 5. Morgan and Adam are more like game satirest then game reviewers..though they do review games. Oh and they don't give rpg's ect much of a score anytime. Anyhow, don't take a lot of what they say seriously. :)
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Oct 2006, 08:25

Kilop wrote:well it is tv review, it is not meant to be exhaustive, rather pertinent and funny which is was .. or almost
Thats so not true.Some of the best reviewes Ive seen were TV revies here.Brief but good.And I must admit they did hit the right spot with that might-magic quarel.First time I watched it I thought it was the original heroes dialogue :devious: Oh,and wider variety of creatures? :| Compared to HI maybe.Wow!30 main missions!Outstanding :devious:

jerseys
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jerseys » 24 Oct 2006, 12:17

this review is retarded. It's like so many others, they decided they won't like it and TRY to find a reason afterwards.

They say that that voice acting is horrible. Helo? Do you even remember cut scenes from previous games? Also saying that HOMM needs good voice acting in cut-scenes is like saying a good shooter or fighter needs a complicated plot. Yeah, doom sucked because it had contrived plot.

They also say that the load times are awful. You see them only once per game and they are not awful. They are like 6 seconds max. Maybe they need to play h3 again to see that it had longer load times, even on current machines.

After saying those 2 minor things they conclude: "yeah, if the makers fixed those (what, 2?) mistakes, it'd be a must buy". I hope they die in a car accident.

It's like everyone has an axe to grind on ubival, especially the val part. I understand that someone might not like the game, but more then a half of bad things people say about this game are simply not true. Maybe really try to experiance the game and only THEN make a judgement.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Oct 2006, 12:32

jerseys wrote: They say that that voice acting is horrible. Helo? Do you even remember cut scenes from previous games?
The lack of cutscenes in previous parts is no excuse to have horrible cutscenes now.And they are horible.Ive seen cutscenes with no-lip-moving-big-handed-rough-edged characters years ago in EE.And those had great voice acting and excelent story in them.
jerseys wrote: Also saying that HOMM needs good voice acting in cut-scenes is like saying a good shooter or fighter needs a complicated plot. Yeah, doom sucked because it had contrived plot.
Yes,HOMM doesnt need cutscenes.They were put there just because shiny=good policy,which is a bad thing.
jerseys wrote: They also say that the load times are awful. You see them only once per game and they are not awful. They are like 6 seconds max. Maybe they need to play h3 again to see that it had longer load times, even on current machines.
Really?What about town load and battle load times?Those can be pretty long at times,and you see them very often.And the "quick" save lasting 10 seconds with 1GB RAM is too much.

Oh,and I think its you that need to play HIII more because loading is instantenious there.
jerseys wrote: It's like everyone has an axe to grind on ubival, especially the val part. I understand that someone might not like the game, but more then a half of bad things people say about this game are simply not true. Maybe really try to experiance the game and only THEN make a judgement.
Yes,the game has no bugs,yes the game has an excelent multiplayer,excelent support from the devs,more things than HIII,and all the good things from HIV.I really see no reason why anyone wouldnt like it.Especially because it is shiny.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 24 Oct 2006, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Oct 2006, 13:52

jerseys wrote: They say that that voice acting is horrible. Helo? Do you even remember cut scenes from previous games?
Yup, they we're between the missions. And Chaterine never sounded retarded enough to make me want to kill her. Neither did the narator in H2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutscene
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

eLric
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby eLric » 24 Oct 2006, 16:27

I thought the review was pretty funny, and overall fairly positive.

On a side note, if your 'quicksaves' are taking 10 seconds plus it is because you have too many saved games. Clear up the old clutter from campaigns you have finished and you'll find your save times are fast again (the game loads a thumbnail for every save you have, every time you save...). Clearing out my old saves even made the main page animation stop chugging my system when I went to load a game.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Oct 2006, 16:53

Yes,I know that.It starts rather fast(2 seconds),but ends up being ~10 seconds sometimes.I do the cleaning when I finish playing,but the effects are eing seen during the game,especially for autosaves.

atma6
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby atma6 » 24 Oct 2006, 17:26

I agree that there are a lot of problems, but I couldn't believe that they spent the whole time on the leprechon and on fart jokes, then they say the game was alost a must buy, but the very minor issues they mentioned stopped it from being good. Its great to be a satirist, but don't pretend like you're reviewing a game.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 24 Oct 2006, 17:30

Where's everyone's sense of humor!!! :D
Thanx Angelspit, I've never heard of this place let alone see this review so thanx for sharing this with us. I personally got a big kick out of it and I busted out loud laughing with the farts!!! :rofl: It does the soul good to laugh...
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Red Guy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Red Guy » 25 Oct 2006, 00:14

Fart jokes pfff. Next time make those green guys fight it out like in the Jerry Springer show Americans...

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 25 Oct 2006, 00:22

I've got a sense of humor huge and wide open and... well, fart jokes just aren't my cup of tea. Even though some heroes fan have fun with H5 I don't think this is the kind of humor most people here would laugh at (see the subtle link between the first and second parts of this sentence :D ), excepted maybe for over-stressed ones. (comme on dit dans ma douce langue natale, pète un coup, ça ira mieux).

Anyway, reviews are rarely good, whatever the game, and whatever the reviewer's opinion about the game he's reviewing. A real in-depth review of a game should be several pages long and detail everything. The few minutes granted to the review here are barely enough to tell the title, show a few pics and make a few jokes, so people shouldn't take it seriously. I'm just surprised they dare rating it, any serious reviewer should refuse to give one for such a short review.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Shauku
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shauku » 25 Oct 2006, 00:41

What TT said:D Made me laugh more than the "jokes" in the review.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 25 Oct 2006, 04:15

The first fart:not funny. The second, third, THE FIFTH FART! I couldn't help myself... HAHAAH!

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

You must admit...

Unread postby gravyluvr » 25 Oct 2006, 16:41

For those players who are still new to the series and havn't learned to laugh at it... my heart goes out to you. It can be a life changer. For those of us who have been playing for years and have started taking it less seriously, my fart goes out to you! :x
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 26 Oct 2006, 01:24

X-Play is representative of the low nature of gaming journalism, it really is no shock of their foolishness. Truthfully, does anyone know of a good reviewing site for games?
Hell has frozen over...

Return to “News”